Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    drew726 wrote: »
    You definitely don't need to read the whole LET1 chapters to do the tasks, but I did because the book I found rather interesting. Took me about a week to finish everything.
    Agreed. I even plan on keeping the book once I'm done with the courses. I'll eventually work my way through the whole thing, at my leisure. Who would have guessed OB was actually interesting?
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    It seems none of the courses the CCAF accepts that WGU offers are needed for the BS IT Net Design & Mgmt program I wanted to start. My plan was to finish my CCAF while working on the BS from WGU. Now I think I'm going to take the 4 classes I need for my CCAF AS in IST at my local community college 1st. Then I'll try to start at WGU January 2012.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    I have a quick question, I had to delay my starting of WSU until June 1st, when I originally wanted to start May 1st. In the meantime I have been studying Security+ and Network+ like a madman. How likely is my Mentor to let me have vouchers to take these certs as soon as my enrollment officially begins?

My mentor was sketchy at first when I asked for a voucher 2 weeks into my first term, but after passing it I never had any issues getting vouchers. Now I request the vouchers as soon as I start studying so I can A) schedule a date so I have a deadline and B) If you want to take a exam on a Saturday you have to schedule at least 3-4 weeks in advance. Now he does not even blink an eye at my requests.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im annoyed the akv1 test is annoying

im going for networking not programming ive always hated programming

yea i failed that one 34 out of 50 needed 38 to pass

i guess ill set a retake in 2 weeks and start reading again
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well QLT1 seems to be kicking me in the butt. I was hoping to get through this one pretty fast, but it isn't looking too promising. Parabolas ftl.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Well QLT1 seems to be kicking me in the butt. I was hoping to get through this one pretty fast, but it isn't looking too promising. Parabolas ftl.

good luck, i still need to do that class my self

how many items did you have to turn in for it
  • Options
    scalpelrushscalpelrush Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea i failed that one 34 out of 50 needed 38 to pass

i guess ill set a retake in 2 weeks and start reading again

Hi,

I'm studying for the 1D0-435 too, any tips or anything you want to share? Did you follow ERPadmin advice? I also don't like programmingicon_sad.gif

I hope you pass it next time!!!Good luck.!!
    Courses Required to Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM: BVC1.
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, CLC1, BBC1, BAC1 | GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 | ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, SSC1, IWC1, INC1 | INT1, IWT1, LET1, TWA1, CPW3
    Courses Transferred: AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1.

• Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    Agreed. I even plan on keeping the book once I'm done with the courses. I'll eventually work my way through the whole thing, at my leisure. Who would have guessed OB was actually interesting?

yeah, I thought it was going to be a dry read especially after just finishing the humanities course. It has good examples of management from very up-to-date organizations.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    good luck, i still need to do that class my self

how many items did you have to turn in for it

5 total tasks with several parts each.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    You definitely don't need to read the whole LET1 chapters to do the tasks, but I did because the book I found rather interesting. Took me about a week to finish everything.

Took me about two weeks to read an older version, and about a week to run through the online chapter tests the publisher had before taking the ORC1 exam.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For anyone and everyone that worked on the LET1 essays, does it have to be either single-spaced or double-spaced? icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Shecky wrote: »
    For anyone and everyone that worked on the LET1 essays, does it have to be either single-spaced or double-spaced? icon_redface.gif

I did task 1 single spaced, but I double spaced task 2 because I wrote half of what they suggested. I tell you whether or not they accept it as kosher. :)
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nhpr wrote: »
    I did task 1 single spaced, but I double spaced task 2 because I wrote half of what they suggested. I tell you whether or not they accept it as kosher. :)

I'm currently on task 1 and can probably fit everything onto one page and probably just double-space it to meet the 2-3 page requirement? Anyone else double-spaced the first task and "getaway" with it? Lol. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Thats what APA guidelines say when I did LAT1, double spaced, 12 font, times-roman. All work submitted in taskstream is suppose to be with APA guidelines which isn't just citations. All my work I include a title sheet, running head, etc.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Thats what APA guidelines say when I did LAT1, double spaced, 12 font, times-roman. All work submitted in taskstream is suppose to be with APA guidelines which isn't just citations. All my work I include a title sheet, running head, etc.

^^This.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm studying for the 1D0-435 too, any tips or anything you want to share? Did you follow ERPadmin advice? I also don't like programmingicon_sad.gif

I hope you pass it next time!!!Good luck.!!

i did the guide and wgu sent me a print book ... did not want to pay for hte ucertify (i may now)

how ever i did underestimate the exam and did not study as much as i should
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    For Shecky: I just got my double spaced paper back. The grader found no fault with it whatsoever. Hooray double spacing!
  • Options
    First and foremost I took the ORC1 exam and passed.

Now for my opinion on the Online proctoring and Kryterion... I made it through 3 questions and my test was paused. Now I read everything on the site and I even search through posts here so I know what they need to see on the camera. I fooled around with it for 20 mins before the test. So I called them and they said that they can't see my mouse which I could clearly see (keep in mind I even took a lamp to my desk to ensure it is bright enough).

I know there are cheaters that try to **** the system but how can I **** with just a mouse. They could see everything.

Oh well thanks for listening and it is done.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    citinerd wrote: »

Now for my opinion on the Online proctoring and Kryterion... I made it through 3 questions and my test was paused. Now I read everything on the site and I even search through posts here so I know what they need to see on the camera. I fooled around with it for 20 mins before the test. So I called them and they said that they can't see my mouse which I could clearly see (keep in mind I even took a lamp to my desk to ensure it is bright enough).

I know there are cheaters that try to **** the system but how can I **** with just a mouse. They could see everything.

I think the idea is that someone could be sitting beside you controlling the mouse. I believe they can see the cursor moving, and if your hand movements arent matching then it becomes suspicious.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Shecky wrote: »
    I'm currently on task 1 and can probably fit everything onto one page and probably just double-space it to meet the 2-3 page requirement? Anyone else double-spaced the first task and "getaway" with it? Lol. icon_lol.gif

Double spaced all 4 tasks, some were size 12.5 font ;)
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    citinerd wrote: »

I've run into that one myself. I've got a rackmount server on my desk that overhangs by about 2 inches and covers up where my keyboard tray is right on the edge. I just have to put my mouse on top of my desk, kinda awkward for a little bit. I usually run into lighting issues, no lamps and my room is a little on the dark side in general.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I've run into that one myself. I've got a rackmount server on my desk that overhangs by about 2 inches and covers up where my keyboard tray is right on the edge. I just have to put my mouse on top of my desk, kinda awkward for a little bit. I usually run into lighting issues, no lamps and my room is a little on the dark side in general.

I've had some issues with them in the past. The last two times I had them stop the test because they thought I was watching TV. I do have a TV in the background, but it was off. I guess maybe they could see the reflection or something. Watching TV while I am taking a test...really???icon_lol.gif Luckily, I don't have any more Kryterion tests.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »

I too had to move my mouse on top of the desk and off of the keyboard tray. I didn't have any other issues.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished up my intake interview and I have been cleared to start EWB on the 1st.

I'm looking forward to getting started. My company relocated me a couple of months ago so I had to drop the school I was attending. I was pleasantly surprised by how many of my credits transferred in. It didn't feel like any time was wasted at my other school.

Best part about switching to WGU is that I can now relocate without it interfering with school.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Ready for my WSV1 exam tomorrow (1D0-520) and got my mentor to enroll me in the GAC1 and HHT1 courses this week as well. Took the pre-assessment for the GAC1 and got a 79% so I put in my date requests for the middle of next week to get that out of the way as well. Only 2 things I needed to remember methods for so that will take me all of 20 minutes to be ready for a guaranteed pass on the assessment and then start working on the HHT1 task.

Question regarding the QLT1 tasks though...I noticed there were portions that required graphing. Do they provide you with the methods of graphing it out on the computer to submit for the tasks or do we graph it manually on graph paper and scan it in? I haven't read through the COS enough to find out the answer so was wondering if someone could provide some input on it since I will be enrolling in the QLT1 as soon as I pass the GAC1 assessment.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options

Question regarding the QLT1 tasks though...I noticed there were portions that required graphing. Do they provide you with the methods of graphing it out on the computer to submit for the tasks or do we graph it manually on graph paper and scan it in? I haven't read through the COS enough to find out the answer so was wondering if someone could provide some input on it since I will be enrolling in the QLT1 as soon as I pass the GAC1 assessment.

You can graph it by hand and scan it in or put it in excel. The last task you are required to use excel or open office. I am working on task 3 at the moment. You shouldn't have much problem with it if you are familiar with graphing.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    You can graph it by hand or put it in excel. The last task you are required to use excel or open office. I am working on task 3 at the moment. You shouldn't have much problem with it if you are familiar with graphing.

I am familiar with graphing, but not graphing in Excel. I'll just have to take a look into it when that time comes. If anything, I don't have a problem graphing manually and scanning in the results so glad that's an option as well.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Ready for my WSV1 exam tomorrow (1D0-520)

I'm about to start studying for that one. What did you think of the material?
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »
    I'm about to start studying for that one. What did you think of the material?

The domains for the exam honestly don't really go too in-depth IMO, so this one was pretty easy for me to study for after completing the WFV1 and BOV1. There is a lot of HTML/XHTML/CSS overlap between both of those so I continued to use the W3Schools Online Web Tutorials site that I used for both of those assessments. I also picked up one of the PrepLogic Mega Guides for the exam before I actually started at WGU during one of their sales since I knew I would need to test for it during my program so that has been a major resource for me as well.

Then for the remaining domains, since you've gone through the CompTIA Sec+ and Project+ you shouldn't have issues with the topics relating to basic security measures on sites and cookies and then those relating to actual project management and development processes (most of those seem like common sense anyways).

I would imagine from the knowledge that you already have, just going over HTML/XHTML/CSS tutorials on w3schools and using the study guide pdf's WGU has as a learning resource you shouldn't have much issues with this course either.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am familiar with graphing, but not graphing in Excel. I'll just have to take a look into it when that time comes. If anything, I don't have a problem graphing manually and scanning in the results so glad that's an option as well.

I didn't know how to graph with Excel befote I did QLT1. One of the course mentor's did a nice job showing folks how that's done and I just followed along with that. It was very straightforward and I think you'll do fine once you watch the Adobe presentation on it.