Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Usually they don't. They want the 2 classes to be your last. I had to do some sweet talking to have it that way. I talked them into letting me do it the way my term fell and how most of the R2 books are not out yet.

I would think you could actually do Technical Writing very early, if you have significant IT background and a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. You'd just have to sell your mentor and the probably the course mentor as well.

Capstone. . . I hear of many folks leaving one or two tough courses toward the end (e.g. Java), and finishing the capstone ahead of that. But that's as early as I've heard of anyone being allowed to tackle it-- with reason, as the actual capstone completion is supposed to be reflective of your educational experience with WGU as well as your personal subject matter competency.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Argh! I changed from the old version of the NTWK DESGN and Management to the new one. Don't do this unless you think it's going to be in your favor because it can become a hassle.

My goals for this semester:

AIV1, HHT1, LET1, and ORC1

This should keep me plenty busy for this semester.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I have till August 29th to finish CCENT and that'll put me at 46 CU's this term leaving me 70-642, 70-646, tech writing, and capstone for the next term. I just stare at my AAP every night and I can finally see the finish line...sooo close. 2 1/2 years in community college, 2 years in state college and dropping out...I can't believe I'm almost done. Turning 28 next month, 10 years to get to this point. Jesus time flies.

On a side note, my boss and our senior network engineer is giving me more assignments now. My CTO is teaching me how to do DNS'ing addressing just to lessen the workload one of our engineers and my senior network engineer is finally letting me touch the switches etc and doing the patch management on the servers. Finally...I was getting bored of making tickets and creating users and mailboxes in AD all day.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    petedude wrote: »
    I would think you could actually do Technical Writing very early, if you have significant IT background and a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. You'd just have to sell your mentor and the probably the course mentor as well.

Capstone. . . I hear of many folks leaving one or two tough courses toward the end (e.g. Java), and finishing the capstone ahead of that. But that's as early as I've heard of anyone being allowed to tackle it-- with reason, as the actual capstone completion is supposed to be reflective of your educational experience with WGU as well as your personal subject matter competency.

Since I just finished them I would strongly suggest doing them back to back. You have to use a lot of information from your Tech Writing paper in your Capstone. A good portion of the Capstone is part of your Tech Writing paper. If it is fresh in your head it will go much smoother. Also, in grading Tech Writing they give you good pointers on what to make sure you include in the Capstone project.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Argh! I changed from the old version of the NTWK DESGN and Management to the new one. Don't do this unless you think it's going to be in your favor because it can become a hassle.

My goals for this semester:

AIV1, HHT1, LET1, and ORC1

This should keep me plenty busy for this semester.
    I toyed with the idea of switching to the new program but in the end I decided not to make any unnecessary changes. I'm glad I stuck with the original plan.

You should be able to complete LET1 very quickly. It was one on the easiest writing-bases courses I've done so far. I completed it in two weeks, with a little bit of slacking thrown in there.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    carajeancarajean Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So far my experience has been less than great. For some reason my application fee isnt getting waived even though I used the refer a friend. Talked to Dfields about it and he assured me he would take care of it the next day hasnt yet. I also went to take the ready assessment test and cant even log in. I just wanna get this done and over with arg. Im not gonna be a happy camper if I cant start july 1st.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    carajean wrote: »
    So far my experience has been less than great. For some reason my application fee isnt getting waived even though I used the refer a friend. Talked to Dfields about it and he assured me he would take care of it the next day hasnt yet. I also went to take the ready assessment test and cant even log in. I just wanna get this done and over with arg. Im not gonna be a happy camper if I cant start july 1st.

I would call the enrollment department ASAP.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Bought my Todd Lammle CCENT book and gonna use that with the Labsim resources. I'm ready for war.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    drew726 wrote: »
    Bought my Todd Lammle CCENT book and gonna use that with the Labsim resources. I'm ready for war.

I would also suggest the Cisco Press book. The lammle book is alright, I couldn't really force myself through it. Jumps around quite a bit. The Odom book may be dry but it goes into everything you need. Ask the CCENT course mentor Jason for the CCNA simulator, you don't get it automatically. It's an outstanding resource. As for the Labsim, finding what parts pertain to ICND1 and what parts pertain to ICND2 is a little difficult. Good luck on the studies!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    s0j0urn wrote: »
    It would be a life saver to see the code, currently I've been working through Big Java and not only is it dry, it covers so much extraneous data and does not seem to be helping at all. I'm on Chapter 4 and still don't even really know where to start. I'm generally pretty self-taught and seeing the code would probably pull the pieces in together for me. Please let me know if you still have this and I can give you my email addy. Thanks.

s0j0urn,
    Drop me a note and I'll forward those programming solutions I received from Cheryl. All I received was ch 5 thru ch 10 but it helped me understand the basics.

Still neck deep in the 70-680 material. Plan to take the test in 10 days or so, already have my voucher and my testing center is pretty flexible with times and dates.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    never2late wrote: »
    s0j0urn,
    Drop me a note and I'll forward those programming solutions I received from Cheryl. All I received was ch 5 thru ch 10 but it helped me understand the basics.

For anyone starting the basic Java course, I'd strongly recommend reading Java Demystified before picking up Big Java. Helped me a lot.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    s0j0urns0j0urn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol, I don't actually know how to send you a note. I'm new to the forums.
    Good luck on the 70-680, i haven't taken anything for Windows 7 yet.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    s0j0urn wrote: »
    lol, I don't actually know how to send you a note. I'm new to the forums.
    Good luck on the 70-680, i haven't taken anything for Windows 7 yet.

Sent you an email
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    any one here taken QMC1 recently ... anything i should know before i delve right in to it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Concerning LET1 Task 4:

Compare the relative value of common sets of evaluation criteria.

Which is more valuable (1-2-3)?

Individual Task Outcomes
    Behavior
    Traits

I swear, Section B has left me completely stumped. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Shecky wrote: »
    Concerning LET1 Task 4:

Compare the relative value of common sets of evaluation criteria.

Which is more valuable (1-2-3)?

Individual Task Outcomes
    Behavior
    Traits

I swear, Section B has left me completely stumped. icon_redface.gif

That's right in the book, my good man! Chapter 15 under section "Performance Evaluation," subsection "What Do We Evaluate." It's pages 619-620, if the ebook uses the same numbering scheme as the physical book.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    What they are asking is for you to compare the traits and which one you think is most important. Pretty easy.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nhpr wrote: »
    That's right in the book, my good man! Chapter 15 under section "Performance Evaluation," subsection "What Do We Evaluate." It's pages 619-620, if the ebook uses the same numbering scheme as the physical book.

Haha. I see that. But what I don't understand is comparing the relative value of the sets of criteria. Compare them to what? icon_razz.gif
    What they are asking is for you to compare the traits and which one you think is most important. Pretty easy.

Just the traits? What about individual task outcomes and behavior?
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Shecky wrote: »
    Haha. I see that. But what I don't understand is comparing the relative value of the sets of criteria. Compare them to what? icon_razz.gif

Compare them to each other. Just say what the relative strengths and weaknesses of them are.

"Giving a poor performance evaluation based on the fact that the employee is introverted or fat or French is good/bad because..."
    "Writing a performance evaluation based on how well an employee performed on a specific project is good/bad because..."
  • Options
    tonym249tonym249 Banned Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys,

Anyone pass this exam yet? And if, so what practice tests did you use , and is the test similar to 435? Stuggling with BOV1.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tonym249 wrote: »
    Guys,

Anyone pass this exam yet? And if, so what practice tests did you use , and is the test similar to 435? Stuggling with BOV1.

Thanks.

Yeah passed it recently. I don't know what 435 was like so I can't really answer that question. All I gotta say is do the practice exams they give you and memorize all the methods, event handlers, etc.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished all the WFV1 course tests and course reviews. I passed all 6 on the first try. I only had to read the study guide for HTML because it's something I haven't used in a while. Unfortunately, the only opening at my local testing center for the next 5 weeks is this Saturday. I requested my voucher but I don't know if I will get it on time. I may have to commute somewhere out of town icon_sad.gif
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed Security+ yesterday, and because of a snafu of getting a voucher for Networks+ at the wrong testing center, I have to wait until next week to take that test.

Talked to my mentor, but he is unable to get me any new classes until I pass Networks+. Is it common to not be able to take more than one class at a time even when you are only in the first month of the term?

I know I can go faster than they are letting me.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    Passed Security+ yesterday, and because of a snafu of getting a voucher for Networks+ at the wrong testing center, I have to wait until next week to take that test.

Talked to my mentor, but he is unable to get me any new classes until I pass Networks+. Is it common to not be able to take more than one class at a time even when you are only in the first month of the term?

I know I can go faster than they are letting me.

Is the class already on your AAV or are you trying to add a new class to it? My mentor unlocked the resources for all of the classes on my AAV without even asking.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I could only add 12 cu to my aav, I was hoping that it was at least a rolling 12 cu, so I could add to as I completed them.

It appears I have to finish everything on my AAV before I can add 1 class, I did at least with some prodding get access to the learning resources for my next planned class.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    I could only add 12 cu to my aav, I was hoping that it was at least a rolling 12 cu, so I could add to as I completed them.

It appears I have to finish everything on my AAV before I can add 1 class, I did at least with some prodding get access to the learning resources for my next planned class.

I had to complete my original 12 CU's before my mentor would let me add anything else in, but since then I've been able to add multiple courses in at a time. It's probably just going to be a "getting used to" period between you and your mentor where he/she realizes what you're capable of and are comfortable doing. But ever since I finished my first 12 CU's I've always been enrolled in multiple classes as I know I have sufficient time to complete them before my term ends, and with the rate I've been going through them my mentor agrees with me.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    All I have to say is GUT1 Task 4 is the most screwed up thing ever. There is no clarification on what they want, the mentor just tells you to read the outline, etc. Ugg can't wait till I'm done with it. I got my program written but I have not idea if it will pass as the outline doesn't agree with its self a lot.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ugh, LET1 is driving me mad. I swear some of the chapters don't match the assignments. It's that or it's because it's so boring I'm missing the obvious icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Ugh, LET1 is driving me mad. I swear some of the chapters don't match the assignments. It's that or it's because it's so boring I'm missing the obvious icon_lol.gif

Probably the latter icon_wink.gif

I just got task 4 back graded earlier today with a pass so that was the end of LET1 for me. The tasks are straight from the book in the chapter that the COS mentions for that specific task, and the items listed in the task are in the same order as it appears under that section of the book as well. You may just be overlooking it all, but trust me it's all right there.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    yea some of the GE classes are a PITA
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses: