Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    also for project+
    Read-Only Flashcard Set
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh I see. He just threw the list without explaining what the content is, so icon_confused.gif: was lost. icon_lol.gif

ditto, lol.

At first I thought it was a very cluttered bulleted section of their resume.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    lol project+ is something I'm glad I never have to deal with again.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    visions209visions209 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aiming to start July 1st, can't wait.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Sorry I meant to put that in a better format but my mind was off by 180 degrees yesterday. Yes they are Project+ notes. I loved Project+ myself, book was great. I think the CCNA books are the biggest bore ever though.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    visions209 wrote: »
    Aiming to start July 1st, can't wait.

I think you're either 5 days late or 360 days early. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I took my MGC1 assessment yesterday and have not received any feedback. The class is still in my AAP but no score yet, which is unusual since all my other proctored tests gave feedback within 10 to 20 minutes of completion. Anyway, got an email out to my mentor.

Starting the Project+ today but since my term ends this month I plan to take the test first week of August. To answer the previous question of "rolling over" classes, your mentor won't give you a class if you can't finish it by the end of your term. Mine gave me all the learning resources but I won't actually accept the class till the start of my next (and final) term.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I think I have lost my motivation. I just have the three server exams left for Networks Administration and I just can't bring myself to start them. My next term doesn't start until Aug. 1, but I just have no desire. It must be that the weather is nice.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Pishof wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of rolling over classes from one term to another and what effect that has on term SAP?

Any classes you commit to on your AAP, but don't complete go on your transcript for that term as "not passed". I was unhappy to find this out (the hard way), but it's the policy.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I think I have lost my motivation. I just have the three server exams left for Networks Administration and I just can't bring myself to start them. My next term doesn't start until Aug. 1, but I just have no desire. It must be that the weather is nice.

Could be a mild case of burnout, or the holiday goof-off temptation. How many CUs have you put away so far?
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Hey everyone,

Sorry been gone so long but after getting my WGU degree I started the hunt and landed a new job. Now that I am all settled in I am back to work on my Masters. I now see what you everyone means on how tough it is to work and do this at the same time. Especially with it being the middle of summer and the weather being so nice. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I am looking for a little insight from any of the MSISA students. I am doing EDRP right now and plan to sit the test next week. Anyhing I should watch out for??
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am going though a little bit of burn out myself. All I have left is CCENT, Tech Writing, and Capstone. I am working on the CCENT right now but am not motivated to finish the Tech Writing and Capstone. I feel a little overwhelmed with the idea of the Capstone.....
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I feel a little overwhelmed with the idea of the Capstone.....

It's not as bad as it seems at first. As long as you pick a project/topic for a paper that you're interested in (and you can just about pick anything to do with IT as long as its at least nominally related to your program), it isn't all that much of a bother to put it on paper.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    nhpr wrote: »
    It's not as bad as it seems at first. As long as you pick a project/topic for a paper that you're interested in (and you can just about pick anything to do with IT as long as its at least nominally related to your program), it isn't all that much of a bother to put it on paper.

But, it does have to have milestones and some type of deliverable. I was going to do a basic security policy framework. What are some things that need to be secured, how they can be secured, etc. But there really is no milestone for it - write framework. Then for deliverable all I got is a 4-5 page document outlining security needs of a company. They want 4-6 pages describing that. I can fudge some but stretching it to 4 pages is a lot of BS.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    But, it does have to have milestones and some type of deliverable. I was going to do a basic security policy framework. What are some things that need to be secured, how they can be secured, etc. But there really is no milestone for it - write framework. Then for deliverable all I got is a 4-5 page document outlining security needs of a company. They want 4-6 pages describing that. I can fudge some but stretching it to 4 pages is a lot of BS.

Other people have written white papers. The deliverable can just be the paper itself. Recently someone submitted a 13 page TWA1 paper and it got approved, so that's not a huge problem
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    INC1----DONE:D

My God what a tough exam, because it's soooo broad.

4 classes knocked out in 5 weeks, wonder how long I can keep this pace?

Was thinking NET+ and AD next, but thinking NET+ and CCENT.

Any thoughts?
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Was thinking NET+ and AD next, but thinking NET+ and CCENT.

Any thoughts?

I have done both exams (the latter option), but not through WGU, so I think Network+ and CCENT would be a smart move. You can knock down two birds with one stone. They both overlapped, but I think it's better if you start with Network+ unless you already have a good understanding, then you can skim through it and take the Net+ pre-assessment after you are halfway done with your CCENT study.
  • Options
    I just found out the KFT1 (object oriented design and development) class requires me to have a partner who's taking the course as well. I think it's ridiculous since it's the main reason why I have to change my AAV plan last minutes when I was on call with my mentor. I plan to take it early this term until I found out from my mentor about the requirement. So I decided to take the BSV1 for now (thought about taking the LET1, but I dreaded the daunting tasks), but I am not even close to being done with my ICND2 stuff since I am stuck on being irresolute at the moment on what/how to lab this and that in the most convenient way possible.

So if anyone plans to take the KFT1 sometimes in mid to late August, please let me know if you want to work with me. Thanks.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    I have done both exams (the latter option), but not through WGU, so I think Network+ and CCENT would be a smart move. You can knock down two birds with one stone. They both overlapped, but I think it's better if you start with Network+ unless you already have a good understanding, then you can skim through it and take the Net+ pre-assessment after you are halfway done with your CCENT study.

That's a great way to look at it. I assumed their would be some overlap. Thanks!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    (thought about taking the LET1, but I dreaded the daunting tasks)

LET1 is not that bad. When you get into Taskstream and look at the objectives listed all you need to do is follow the section in the book they mention in the COS. Tailor your paper to the exact objectives and you'll breeze through it. Took me a grand total of 4.5 hours and I hate writing. Still waiting on task 4 to come back, but not worried at all.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does WGU have payment plans like monthly or per module? I remember searching and didn't get much info that.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    sting_224 wrote: »
    Does WGU have payment plans like monthly or per module? I remember searching and didn't get much info that.

WGU has two options for paying - pay in full or split 2 payment option
    Affordable Accredited Online University | WGU Tuition and Fees | Western Governors University
  • Options
    KeithC wrote: »
    Affordable Accredited Online University | WGU Tuition and Fees | Western Governors University

They do have a monthly plan but it is only for military veterans using Ch30 GI Bill.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    LET1 task 4 graded and passed. Done with that. Now on to TPV1 icon_study.gif
  • Options
    KeithC wrote: »

I wish there were more options, but anything they would do over and above that would add more overhead to manage-- which would then start driving tuition up.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    scalpelrushscalpelrush Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CLC1 Advice...

Anything that you would like to share, I'm open to ideas, tips, comments.....

Thanks.
    Courses Required to Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM: BVC1.
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, CLC1, BBC1, BAC1 | GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 | ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, SSC1, IWC1, INC1 | INT1, IWT1, LET1, TWA1, CPW3
    Courses Transferred: AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1.

• Options
    CLC1 Advice...

Anything that you would like to share, I'm open to ideas, tips, comments.....

Thanks.

Take the pre-asses right now. When you're done it'll give you a break down of the areas you'll want to study. Go over those areas in the COS and materials provided. When you've done that, pre-asses once more. After that, brush up on anything else you may need and schedule your assessment. It's not a super hard test but going over the material is very helpful to passing.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Take the pre-asses right now. When you're done it'll give you a break down of the areas you'll want to study. Go over those areas in the COS and materials provided. When you've done that, pre-asses once more. After that, brush up on anything else you may need and schedule your assessment. It's not a super hard test but going over the material is very helpful to passing.

+1

Most of it is common sense stuff but there are still several textbook answers that you probably wont know unless you review the material. I did not read any of the ebook chapters, I just used the MindEdge along with their PDF review sheets (usually 1-2 pages per chapter).

My pretest score was 76% (no material). After reviewing the material I just mentioned, I passed the final test with an 87%.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    'Take the pre-asses right now... ...When you've done that, pre-asses once more. After that, brush up on anything else...

Haha. Sorry, I had to clip off what you said to show you how hilarious it sounds when I read it in my head. icon_lol.gif No more pre-asses for you.
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My mentor strikes again, can't write an essay for LAT1 without talking to the course mentor first. However if I understand it correctly, the subject of the paper is hidden, until your mentor unlocks the assessment in taskstream. How can I be ready if I don't know what I am writing about?
    WGU Progress