Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Today I inquired about the bachelors in database management. Sounds like a really awesome degree and something I am passionate about. I spoke with the recruiter and he tried to steer me towards the security master it felt like, but that's not my interest. Either way he was upfront and a solid guy. IMO November will be when I pull the trigger.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Today I inquired about the bachelors in database management. Sounds like a really awesome degree and something I am passionate about. I spoke with the recruiter and he tried to steer me towards the security master it felt like, but that's not my interest. Either way he was upfront and a solid guy. IMO November will be when I pull the trigger.

That isn't a database management degree though. You will be doing SQL Development on the MS SQL Server platform.

There isn't even an administration track with it.

Still though, it's a pretty solid emphasis (major). Best of luck...and don't forget to ask for a referral so you don't pay the $65 bucks. :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Have you looked at online master degrees in database management? I believe that getting another bachelor degree would be for the most part useless:

Database Design and Database Administration degree and online program University of Denver, University College

Master of Science in Database Technologies Degree ? Regis University CPS
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

Correct us if we are mistaken, but I am surprised you are considering a second bachelor at WGU. I thought you were considering going for an MBA, and I think that would be a viable option for you to go through that route.
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shecky wrote: »
    Congrats!

How was it? I'm taking it this Thursday. Was it easier than the pre-assessment? :)
    Thanks!

It was very, very similar to the pre-assessment. I'm not sure what my score on the actual exam was yet, as the testing center only lets me know if I pass of fail, but I was scoring in the mid to low 70s on the pre-assessment (w/ no study).

Good Luck!
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    @Hidden That price is super affordable which is huge. The MBA program I want to attend cost 60+ I am holding out hope to lock onto a company eventually who will reimburse.

@Veritas I didn't see that masters on the site. Just security and another one which eludes me at this point. I don't think it's a waste, if I just stop there it would be, but I really like to course curriculum and a lot of those courses makes sense. Besides I already have a bachelors and a bunch of certifications. I can transfer those to WGU and focus on the core courses. This was all ran by a counselor and verified. I just need to get my transcripts over to them sooner rather than later.

@ERP Thanks appreciate the cost savings!
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    For how much tuition is for WGU and what you have already - I would just take some certs. That's all your're going to have to do for WGU then Capstone. For $3000 you can take a lot of certs. The learning resources you're going to get doesn't add up to much, most of us end up buying cert LR's on our own.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    For how much tuition is for WGU and what you have already - I would just take some certs. That's all your're going to have to do for WGU then Capstone. For $3000 you can take a lot of certs. The learning resources you're going to get doesn't add up to much, most of us end up buying cert LR's on our own.

Magic I will end up being in your neck of the wood eventually

FYI
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    If you qualify for financial aid then WGU is a no brainer too. I was jobless throughout 2010 and only have to pay for 300ish dollars for tuition last semester and that's with no scholarships. For that price, its cheaper than the price of certifications.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do anyone here use Spark at all? I just signed on for the first time since EWB. I only used for good 2 minutes, and stopped because I was busy with other things. Now I'm trying out the MyWGU Messenger, but I wanna know if anyone still use them? There was literally no one in the chatroom community, which is kind of frightening (WGU is online-based with over 20,000 students nationwide!) I prefer synchronous communication over asynchronous. E-mails and posts in the community would takes longer than a minute to get a response back you know... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Transcripts have been sent and enrollment fee has been paid.

Next up the exam.

Start date will be in November.

I am looking forward to getting involved in some more technology.
  • Options
    Do anyone here use Spark at all? I just signed on for the first time since EWB. I only used for good 2 minutes, and stopped because I was busy with other things. Now I'm trying out the MyWGU Messenger, but I wanna know if anyone still use them? There was literally no one in the chatroom community, which is kind of frightening (WGU is online-based with over 20,000 students nationwide!) I prefer synchronous communication over asynchronous. E-mails and posts in the community would takes longer than a minute to get a response back you know... icon_wink.gif

I don't care much for IM, TBH. I have an Android phone though (Droid Charge...it's nice..... :D) that has the PocketWGU app and widget. (that's what my current avatar is by the way....a screenshot of the end of last term). I prefer to access the communities on my phone than I do on the PC. I also have WGU's email on my phone as well.

Well back to Tech Writing...... :)
  • Options
    Transcripts have been sent and enrollment fee has been paid.

Next up the exam.

Start date will be in November.

I am looking forward to getting involved in some more technology.

You know....I wonder if your Project+ will transfer......I will have a good laugh if you have to take the PK0-003 (like you should have the last time....)

:p
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You know....I wonder if your Project+ will transfer......I will have a good laugh if you have to take the PK0-003 (like you should have the last time....)

:p

You are mean!

How are those CIW certifications?
  • Options
    You are mean!

Tee-hee....

In all seriousness, you might want to find out. More than likely, you MIGHT be able to.....but they were serious about not wanting folks taking the PK0-002.

The CIW certs are cake. You really just have to read and pass. They make CompTIA exams look like MS/Cisco.
  • Options
    Tee-hee....

In all seriousness, you might want to find out. More than likely, you MIGHT be able to.....but they were serious about not wanting folks taking the PK0-002.

The CIW certs are cake. You really just have to read and pass. They make CompTIA exams look like MS/Cisco.

ERP sorry to keep you from your Teknical Righting, but I was wondering the type of programming language they teach? Java, J Script, C#, VB?
  • Options
    ERP sorry to keep you from your Teknical Righting, but I was wondering the type of programming language they teach? Java, J Script, C#, VB?

Java. Little bit a web based items from CIW but biggest is the 2 java classes. Not to bad.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    Java. Little bit a web based items from CIW but biggest is the 2 java classes. Not to bad.

Cheers!

Thanks for the 411
  • Options

What he said.....

Java is great because you need an OOL to develop front-ends/interfaces for SQL databases. A developer does all of that jazz, as opposed to a DBA (though a DBA will at least familiarize himself with the OOL code of choice).
  • Options
    What he said.....

Java is great because you need an OOL to develop front-ends/interfaces for SQL databases. A developer does all of that jazz, as opposed to a DBA (though a DBA will at least familiarize himself with the OOL code of choice).

I really enjoy development and system admin. I can't go wrong with either of those. Database wins out since I picked up on VB and SQL fairly quickly.

I wouldn't mind doing either eventually. Team lead isn't bad either ;)
  • Options
    Alright... progress update on Tech Writing! I'd say I'm about 50% there! Should be done by this weekend! Who's buying the drinks?
  • Options
    Alright... progress update on Tech Writing! I'd say I'm about 50% there! Should be done by this weekend! Who's buying the drinks?

With tech writing...I'm looking at being done by the end of Sunday. I told wifey I'm not doing any errands, except the obligatory dropping her off and picking her up from the supermarket.

We're trudging along...burned some midnight oil last night.

Edit...by "done"...I mean the first draft....I will probably spend a good couple of days before I hand it in to taskstream.
  • Options
    I'll tell you what. At first I wanted daunted by the thing, reading the example it was like 5-8 pages for this, 3 for this, etc. But no where in the rubics is page requirements. Nor is a lot of stuff. Like goals and objectives. All the rubics is looking for is a list. And a lot of it is repeating for yourself. I got one section left then edit it and get it turned in.
  • Options
    I'll tell you what. At first I wanted daunted by the thing, reading the example it was like 5-8 pages for this, 3 for this, etc. But no where in the rubics is page requirements. Nor is a lot of stuff. Like goals and objectives. All the rubics is looking for is a list. And a lot of it is repeating for yourself. I got one section left then edit it and get it turned in.

Part of my problem early on was I'd just get more distracted than usual. If I tried to deal with three pages, I'd get a phone call, or some other silliness. Writing out a writing plan helped me out.....

I'm about done...but I want to make sure there aren't any revisions, and all of that.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    So, based upon reading a lot of these posts, these seems like a pretty good online school.

Questions:

1. I have a BS in Computer Information Systems already. I would like to get a lot more certs. Based upon some of the posts, it seems like I should just self-study, using Professor Messor's site as well as other reading material recommended through the various forums on this site.

2. It would not make sense for me to get another BS in IT from WGU, as it would make more logical sense to get a MSCS, MSIT, or MSIS. Does anyone recommend the Master's program here? Or, if you already had a BS from WGU or somewhere else in an IT related field, would you try to go to a more widely known school for a grad degree?

Thanks for your recommendations and great posts!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Part of my problem early on was I'd just get more distracted than usual. If I tried to deal with three pages, I'd get a phone call, or some other silliness. Writing out a writing plan helped me out.....

I'm about done...but I want to make sure there aren't any revisions, and all of that.

LOL same problem... TE, Digg, CNN, etc is a BIG distraction. Not to mention the best weather of the entire summer is right now. Good job and good luck.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    LOL same problem... TE, Digg, CNN, etc is a BIG distraction. Not to mention the best weather of the entire summer is right now. Good job and good luck.

i know the feeling im dreading the ms tests i have due to me loving the outdoors but im just gonna go ahead and set the tests so i have a deadline to get them done by
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    It would not make sense for me to get another BS in IT from WGU, as it would make more logical sense to get a MSCS, MSIT, or MSIS. Does anyone recommend the Master's program here? Or, if you already had a BS from WGU or somewhere else in an IT related field, would you try to go to a more widely known school for a grad degree?

Thanks for your recommendations and great posts!

The only (IT) Masters I would recommend from WGU would be the MS in Information Security Assurance.

Personally, I'm answering that that second question (getting a BS from WGU and going to a B&M-AACSB school to get an MBA....that was always the plan from the word go.)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Yeah, I find myself needing to wander every so often while working on Java programs for GTT1. At home I'll put in a few good minutes of work on a program, then get the urge to check TE or something.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Yeah, I find myself needing to wander every so often while working on Java programs for GTT1. At home I'll put in a few good minutes of work on a program, then get the urge to check TE or something.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. The most frustrating thing so far is doing the programming exercises without using an easier way of doing it (like using if/else statements to split a string instead of split or using an array to begin with).

Ah well, back to the fun.