Options

Interview/Job Search Suggestions from Kevin Kline

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    <RANT>
    You have to register to read the articles! Yecch!
    Sorry RK I just hate registering anywhere anymore. It seems like every job search I come upon requires a new registration and I'm having a hard time keeping up with them all. Much less registerring to read an article.</RANT>
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    This Kevin Kline?

kevin-kline1.jpg
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dag! I did not know that. I've been a PASS member for a while now....

Well, if you work with SQL Server I highly suggest it as you can get some good info there. No google cache either... Meh.

@RTW - I think that every time I hear him speak some place.... LOL!
  • Options
    I went ahead and registerred and read the article. Good advice on interviews..and on the references. My references are kind of hard to do as the last 2 places I worked went out of business. They went OOB after I had left them and I found out later while just verifying my reference list that they were no more.
    Leaves my reference list very thin.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    earweed wrote: »
    I went ahead and registerred and read the article. Good advice on interviews..and on the references. My references are kind of hard to do as the last 2 places I worked went out of business. They went OOB after I had left them and I found out later while just verifying my reference list that they were no more.
    Leaves my reference list very thin.

You don't have contact info for anyone you worked with in the past?
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Yeah I know. Kind of dumb, huh. I have contact info for a few co-workers at these places but that's it.
    Edit: I have contact info for jobs previous to these 2 but that was around 7 years back.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah I know. Kind of dumb, huh. I have contact info for a few co-workers at these places but that's it.
    Edit: I have contact info for jobs previous to these 2 but that was around 7 years back.
    Very old references are not very useful. Try to track down some of the people from those recent jobs. Just because a company ceases to exist doesn't (usually icon_cool.gif) mean the people do, too. If you haven't already, create a LinkedIn account and try to find some of those former coworkers.

You should maintain a professional relationship with your references. Give them a call or email occasionally. If you think a potential employer will contact your references, you need to check in with them beforehand. Give them a heads up, and if possible debrief them about the job. People don't like being caught off guard when being contacted for a reference, and employers don't want outdated contact info for references.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    I've been trying but my bosses tarnsferred to different areas (both companies closed local offices). Already have linked-in trying to locate them. no luck so far. Don't want to just use my present employers.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been trying but my bosses tarnsferred to different areas (both companies closed local offices). Already have linked-in trying to locate them. no luck so far. Don't want to just use my present employers.
    Well keep at it. Next time you leave a job, get the personal emails of some coworkers.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV