Options

Studying

DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm currently studying with the Sybex book and I'm almost done, after ever chapter i do the review questions and I'd say i average around 5 wrong of 20 for every chapter. Just wanted to know if that's a bad average or somewhere in between. I know i should be getting them all right but wanted to know what you think....thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    To be completely honest, I knew very little about networking before starting my studies last month. I have since finished my Sybex text(without taking the chapter reviews), and started/finished TrainSignal's Video courses. I took all 5 Transender's practice exams, missing a total of 4 questions out of the 500, then took the Sybex assessment(in the beginning of the book) missing none. I am going to sign up for my exam and take all of Sybex's chapter reviews, then read through the book again before my test. I still feel a bit weak in the Protocols department, but I'm brushing up on them now.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think that its the information that you can tell yourself is more important. The test questions in the back of the chapter is good to review and get an idea of what you know but those questions in the back of the book will only take you so far because you'll start to memorize the questions and answers if you go over them too many times. If you can get cert blaster, thats a good program to get an idea of what you need to study for the comptia exams.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    thanks, I have two chapters left before i finish the book but im going to re-read the areas were I beleive I'm weak in. I tried looking for the cert blaster but couldnt find it for the network +
  • Options
    NetEngineer86NetEngineer86 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    should be out there just keep looking good luck :))
    Kyle Hook
    AAS Computer Network Engineer
    www.hookscr.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks, I have two chapters left before i finish the book but im going to re-read the areas were I beleive I'm weak in. I tried looking for the cert blaster but couldnt find it for the network +

I m taking a class titled Data and Networks, and we are using the Network+ Guide to Networks book. This book comes with a 300 question Cert Blaster CD for the Network+ exam

NETWORK+ GUIDE TO NETWORKS 5E, Tamara Dean, Book - Barnes & Noble
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    xineoxineo Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think in a odd way it's best to miss questions sometimes so you know what needs to be studied a little more but once that's learned it's all cake walk. GL =)
    "Master What you Know but Perfect what you don't"
    -Xineo

http://sites.google.com/site/getnetcert/
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesnt seem that bad but missing 5 for every 20 questions in a 60 question exam might not be that good. Just study for 2 more weeks to drop that to 2 to 3 misses every 20 questions. Whats the hurt for the wait?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    yea i have just finished the book and im looking at the objectives and whichever section im not sure about ill go over it by reading the chapter. im also using the electronic flash cards that came in the cd.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    It doesnt seem that bad but missing 5 for every 20 questions in a 60 question exam might not be that good. Just study for 2 more weeks to drop that to 2 to 3 misses every 20 questions. Whats the hurt for the wait?

The only problem with this is, after you take the practice tests the first time, you unknowingly start to memorize them. I just took the Net+ exam yesterday, and the Sybex book that I studied, over perpared me for the test. Not saying this is a bad thing at all, better to be over than under perpared, but the test isn't really what you think it is going to be. Atleast that is how I felt.
  • Options
    Monkerz wrote: »
    The only problem with this is, after you take the practice tests the first time, you unknowingly start to memorize them. I just took the Net+ exam yesterday, and the Sybex book that I studied, over perpared me for the test. Not saying this is a bad thing at all, better to be over than under perpared, but the test isn't really what you think it is going to be. Atleast that is how I felt.

I too am using the Sybex book, what do you mean when you say "the test isn't really what you think it is going to be''??
  • Options
    I too am using the Sybex book, what do you mean when you say "the test isn't really what you think it is going to be''??

It was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I don't suggest just looking over the material and taking the test though. You will need a strong understanding of the material, not just for the test, but for your future career.
  • Options
    I have no networking experience, the only experience i have is working on friends or family's computers that have issues with viruz or simple things. It's real hard for me to get a job when i have very limited experience that is why im trying to spend more time on this cert and making sure i understand it well.
  • Options
    I have no networking experience, the only experience i have is working on friends or family's computers that have issues with viruz or simple things. It's real hard for me to get a job when i have very limited experience that is why im trying to spend more time on this cert and making sure i understand it well.

The process of getting your foot in the door, to gain the necessary experience required to move on in the IT world, is a task in itself. I think most of us find it difficult, in the beginning, to find employers willing to give you a shot with minimal experience.

I tried to think positive and accept any offer I was given when starting out. Almost every job posting I looked at mentioned 5 - 10 years experience. I felt like giving up time and time again, but I didn't want to end up breaking my back for minimum wage. I pressed on, at least now I am a moderately paid peon. :)