Which to take? 70-290 or 70-640

misty-in-massmisty-in-mass Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am wondering which cert to start with. Getting back into job market and looking at jobs which require Windows Server 200x and eventually databases (not sure what capacity yet). I have a background in tech support with applications and long ago I used to be an applications programmer. I am an experienced user of MS XP, Vista, but not as much with hardware/networking issues (yet).

So, which test do you think would be easier to take (in general)?
70-290 (Managing Server 2003) or 70-640 (Server 2008 Active Directory)
.. or is there some other entry point for Windows Server?

My goal is to get at least one cert on my resume quickly, so potential employers can see that I *can* learn and am getting current with newer technology. I am planning to setup a Server system at home so I can play with it.

Advice?
thanks so much,
misty

Comments

• joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Hi, I would go with one of the OS exams for your first cert (passing one test for 2003 gets you a MCP). I don't know if the XP test is still valid but if it is go for it since you have XP experience. Then you will get the MCP cert :)
    Then from there move on to 70-290 to start on your MCSA. These are for 2003, so if you want to go the new cert route I believe they have a MCITP cert you could work towards.
  • misty-in-massmisty-in-mass Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which OS certs are you referring to? I am trying to get familiar with them, but the Microsoft site really is focusing on the new program vs. older ones.

What do you mean - passing one test for 2003 gets you a MCP?

Thanks for the help...
    Misty
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    XP is 70-270. Passing this exam will give you the MCP certification.

If you go for the MSCE 2003 path, you will need to pass the required 7x certs. One of these certs will be an OS exam, which can be XP, Vista or Win7.

For Server 2008, the name MCP was changed to MCTS and MCSE was renamed MCITP, which is 5 exams I think.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    joey74055 wrote: »
    I don't know if the XP test is still valid

Yes, it is.