Options

I need to disable Help in Windows 2000....

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
They login using Netware accounts. I don't have the rights to manage those accounts, but I can manage the local machine.

I just need to disable the Help and Support function for all users on the local machine. That or simply remove it from the start menu.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello.

Add this to the registry

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Name: NoSMHelp
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Set it to 1 to remove the help and set it to 0 to put it back.

Hope that helps.
    Nate.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nevermind. icon_lol.gif

I rebooted and it's gone. Thanks a lot.

How did you find that out?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Here's a crapload of Registry helpers....RegEdit

You could also use X-Teq systems. BE WARNED!!!! X-Teq has the capability to destroy your system if you're not careful. Just about every tweak is accesible through the gui, which makes it very easy to make a mistake. It does have a double-checker on the more significant keys, as it will ask you for confirmation. You can check it out here.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    That page rules. Thanks!
  • Options
    How about disabling the help files in Excel and Powerpoint?
  • Options
    Dont disable, uninstall. Probably the easiest. Just choose customize when you install/repair. You said you have local access so it should be all good.

Glad the last post helped.
  • Options
    I did try to uninstall. But Netware is so dumb that it doesn't realize Office is uninstalled half the time. Therefore, it won't reappear as an install in the Application Window.

Formatting the machine as I type this...they needed it in an hour for some testing and I don't have time to fool with it.

icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Actually...does anyone know how to disable it? I can't do a custom install from the NAL windows.
  • Options
    damn you for making me work!

View>Toolbars>Customize>Keyboard

click window and help on the left
    find "help" in the window to the right
    remove "F1 on the bottom left
    now click close (just once)
    then click commands
    go to window and help on the left
    find help on the right
    delete it
    close it all...

now if they push F1 they dont get help, and you removed it from the menu. Its not perfect, but to my knowledge there aint no quick fix.

Best of Luck.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK - time for the real world fix ....

Open up system manager and go to Services and Applications / Services / Help and Support - Right click and stop the service - right click and select properties then select startup type as Disabled.

Haven't W2K in front of me, but I think you can get to Manage same as XP by right clicking on My Computer.

I also suggest that learning and using the built in tools in windows is a great idea. There are a whole lot of things that never get used, but are totally awesome for configuring your systems.

My favourite one on the XP machines in the school sites we administer is ....

Go to Start>Run and type in gpedit.msc which will take you to the Group Policy and
    Local Computer Policy settings. Now click on User Configuration>Administrative
    Templates>Windows Components>Windows Messenger. Set both settings to “ENABLED” and reboot. That’s it! This will allow you to disable Windows Messenger, which will stop it from loading at start-up.

This is by far the most straight forward and easiest way to disable Windows Messenger. And should you decide to use Messenger in the future, just simply reverse the changes you made and turn it back on anytime you like!
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    That registry fix was excellent.

If you stop the Help service, does it disable Windows Help, or Help in MS Office? It isn't the same thing.
  • Options
    I think they are actually linked in the MS world.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    The real world fix! /me mumbles
  • Options
    Don't talk about Muppet Edition in that tone of voice nate icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    I dont know if im ment to be insulted by that icon_confused.gif

BTW "Help and Support" isnt in Services under Win2k. Good idea tho.
  • Options
    Yeah, I looked this morning as well.
  • Options
    heh heh - actually I was insulting that wonderful OS by Microsoft ... Mongel Edition icon_lol.gif

You are right about not having H & S in W2K - I was on a XP box with all of the beels and whistles turned off and it looks just like W2K.

gpedit.msc has the option to remove help from the start menu. Don't have office loaded on a 2K machine to see what options are available then, but you can actually write your own policy script and have it run there. Always cleaner than reg hacks if you want to be able to recreate it throughout a site.
    www.supercross.com