Options

Searching For That Dream Job Out Of State

Fellas,

In order to land that dream job. If I start searching for vacant positions outside of my area will that significantly increase my chances of landing that dream system administrator role?

I live in Seattle,WA. If there are 40 job openings here, there are 200-300 in opportunities in CA, DC Metro Area, TX etc.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I had been looking for work in Washington DC and Roanoke, VA area for about 3 months, I had only 1 interview in 25 resume submissions. I was qualified on paper for those positions (not grasping at straws) so why did they not call more often?

I can only guess that they had enough qualified candidates in close geographic proximity that they did not need to seek people from other areas.

So I say go for it especially in CA, but I am not sure if applying for a position in D.C. would yield a high probability of benefit (ROI), especially if you have to fly out to interview in person. (Just my 2 cents based on my own experiences, I am interested in seeing what others think about this too.)

In College I was under the illusion that graduating would let me move all over the country and work for different companies and meet lots of people, and makes lots of money, boy was I wrong.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    I see. But your saying I may be able to net something in CA ?
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I see. But your saying I may be able to net something in CA ?

I don't actually know, my point is more about the effect of geography. I assume that you can travel to northern CA by car. This could be incorrect though be cause I have never been west of the Mississippi river.

DC is 3 hours by car from my location, and Roanoke, VA is 2 hours. Yet I have found these areas of close proximity to be no better yielding in opportunity than cities at 1 hours distance. The closer cities have called me back at a higher rate.

Though I would add a friend got a job as a paralegal post law school in DC while living here. That was back in 2005-6.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not get a PO box in that location and a google voice number?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took my address off of my resume because I have to regularly apply for jobs 40-50 miles away from my home. My zip code is pretty huge so unless they are serious about bringing me on, then it doesn't matter where I live.