Options

Compulsive Studying

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Hello, I was just wondering if anybody else has the urge to study for exams/test on a constant basis.. I find myself on the weekend wanting to do nothing but study for which ever exam I am prepping for.. I do not know, but it is like I just cant get enough of reading and taking practice exams, and the longer I sit there and read and take practice tests, and experiment with my learning's the better I feel. Its like an urge to know more and more and more. Now I do know that I am only compulsive towards stuff I truly enjoy which would be computer based because when it comes to English or any academic exams.. I study, but I for sure am not compulsive about it.

Anybody else like this?

-Shane

I think I am going to go for a bike ride.. icon_bounce.gif
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Must be Dysleixc like me... ;)

if it's logical or theoretical then I love reading, learning, studying, listening and learning. I do spend a large part of my life studying networking. (or as I call it playing with networking)

It's when the wife walks in to the room in a silk gown, flashes a bit of leg and suggest you come to bed, and you barley glance up and tell her "in a minute". That you know you are studying to much!!!... icon_lol.gif

Study hard and work hard, but make sure its balanced with the pleasures of life to :)

Its important to focus on where you are heading and to work on what you need to get there. But remember you only reach your destination once in life, The day it all ends. So it's important to enjoy the journey along the way.

You mentioned that your off for a bike ride, which makes me think weathers getting nice i need to get my bike out soon. What you studying at the moment?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    I am actually studying A+. I feel like I am ready to go ahead and take the exam. I pass just about every practice exam I take.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    good luck with that,

and don't worry after your 4 or 5 stright exam your be ready for a rest/break ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Hello, I was just wondering if anybody else has the urge to study for exams/test on a constant basis.. I find myself on the weekend wanting to do nothing but study for which ever exam I am prepping for.. I do not know, but it is like I just cant get enough of reading and taking practice exams, and the longer I sit there and read and take practice tests, and experiment with my learning's the better I feel. Its like an urge to know more and more and more. Now I do know that I am only compulsive towards stuff I truly enjoy which would be computer based because when it comes to English or any academic exams.. I study, but I for sure am not compulsive about it.

Anybody else like this?

-Shane

Humm lets see since December 20th 2009 I have studied everyday except holidays and maybe just shy of two weeks where I did sporadic contract work. So yes I am compulsive.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, I'm this way. My wife hates it. Now I am becoming more focused, though. Mostly database stuff. But I am almost never to be found w/o a book or something in hand.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    jeanathan wrote: »
    Humm lets see since December 20th 2009 I have studied everyday except holidays and maybe just shy of two weeks where I did sporadic contract work. So yes I am compulsive.

Same here. I'm reading or watching at least 2-3 video courses/books a month easily. I don't want to slow down for a while yet. The only near burnout I felt was on my 3rd or 4th CompTIA exam because they were just concepts and I wanted something with some more meat
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I am almost never to be found w/o a book or something in hand.

That would be me. I am currently enrolled in a 2 year school going for a degree in Computer Technology, and my teacher knows that I am like this and that i work very hard, and I am always going that extra mile. Nonetheless, he uses me as an example to the class a lot which has probably earned me the "teachers pet" title, but that is A-OK in my book because I am here to be the best and max out my learning, and not just get by.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790

Anybody else like this?

-Shane

A week ago I caught a show on some TV channel by chance that was explaining the influence of hormones to brain activity. Dopamine floods happened every time a subject expirienced a positive feedback. I guess that is a way to explain your urge. You expirienced such a positive feedback from your first attempts at passing a cert test you keep pursuing that same exhilarating moment...
    Can I borrow some of that urge please? I kinda need it now, my focus keeps slipping out... but some also say that performance is like a pendulum: it swings constantly from top to rusty and now is the rusty time...
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Can I borrow some of that urge please? I kinda need it now, my focus keeps slipping out... but some also say that performance is like a pendulum: it swings constantly from top to rusty and now is the rusty time...

Ha sure, I always try to get my fellow class mates excited about trying to do more than just the required assignments, and also kind of embrace technology(if you will) but they always seem to careless. O well. icon_rolleyes.gif lol
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Rusty Time"
    Same here. Took my Sec+ and a CIW JavaScript test in March while beginning study for my MCTS(70-640). Was also working on some Linux and now I've hit a down side. Still putting in a couple hours a day studying but I feel like it's not enough.
    Taking the 70-640 in 3-4 weeks, just now getting to where I understand what I'm doing. If I can put in a little more GOOD study time I'll be just reviewing after this week.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If its a topic I really enjoy, sure.

Im having to force myself to sit here and study Algebra for WGU and its really unnverving. I dislike math so bad that I cant look at it for more than a couple hours before I have to take a break and watch TV or play a game to clear my mind.
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    A week ago I caught a show on some TV channel by chance that was explaining the influence of hormones to brain activity.

Dopamine makes people who have *** a lot, do drugs, and steal (to name a few behaviors) keep doing it. The thrill of the "congratulations you passed" screen, like the jingle of the slot machine, can keep you coming back to tackle a new test in a never ending loop of seeking that rush and building that impressive list of qualifications (There are qualified people who are NOT certified).

I sometimes think to myself, well I'll get that CCNP then that MCSE, then that CCIE. It is a bit ridiculous when you look at it like that.

On the contrary though, the thing that makes me study the hardest though is that little voice that says no way you can do this. Your gonna fail for sure. I get mad at the ideal of failure and really push myself into my work.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At first I really hated it. I felt like I was back in school except it was like 100x more intense. I wanted to be playing video games or watching TV or just straight up sleeping. Now that I have forced myself into it, I find myself struggling to be interested in anything fun. I constantly feel like if I'm not reading I am wasting time. It's pretty annoying but as long as my pay check grows proportionally I think I'll be able to cope.
    :study:
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There was a time that I was like this and liked it. Today I have absolutely no interest in studying, real life takes up too much of my energy and is much more interesting.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jeanathan wrote: »
    Dopamine makes people who have *** a lot, do drugs, and steal (to name a few behaviors) keep doing it. The thrill of the "congratulations you passed" screen, like the jingle of the slot machine, can keep you coming back to tackle a new test in a never ending loop of seeking that rush and building that impressive list of qualifications (There are qualified people who are NOT certified).

I know what you are saying. I have often compared my study approach to playing a video game, and like you say each exam or test is like a new level.. LOL
  • Options
    GWadejr34GWadejr34 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Must be Dysleixc like me... ;)

if it's logical or theoretical then I love reading, learning, studying, listening and learning. I do spend a large part of my life studying networking. (or as I call it playing with networking)

It's when the wife walks in to the room in a silk gown, flashes a bit of leg and suggest you come to bed, and you barley glance up and tell her "in a minute". That you know you are studying to much!!!... icon_lol.gif

Study hard and work hard, but make sure its balanced with the pleasures of life to :)

Its important to focus on where you are heading and to work on what you need to get there. But remember you only reach your destination once in life, The day it all ends. So it's important to enjoy the journey along the way.

You mentioned that your off for a bike ride, which makes me think weathers getting nice i need to get my bike out soon. What you studying at the moment?

If you're single and just starting out it's not a bad idea to put the added effort on attaining you goals, but you must make time for yourself outside of the Matrix...

But if you have a family, wife, girlfriend, etc...Then you need to make time for them and you and try to always remember the reason that you wanted to become an IT expert in the first place...To make money nad have some stability in life....

I was once where you are and it almost cost me my marriage; in fact I'm still fighting like hell to keep my wife and girls. I definetly want to work in this field and pursue my goals, but I had to learn that they are reasons for me wanting to acheive more...Don't forget why you initially started and try to make time for yourself and family, the benefits of a happy home can not be understood more than when you lose the happiness.

Have fun, accomplish your goals and certs, but make time to relax...It'll be worth it... I used DevilWAH's quote because it makes the utmost sense and speaks volumes of truth...
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am the opposite I find studying a real slog, I mean grinding through page after page of text isn't my ideal of fun that's when I discovered I was a visual learner. Currently my thought patterns are a b*tch I set out to do something and have a plan in my head of what I want to acheive so I buy the books and begin to study but I always end up giving up getting distracted and the books end up gathering dust.

I then have these real negative moments where I feel like I can see myself missing out on certs, and this leads to a depressing / life going nowhere feeling. It's like a constant battle with my chain of thought patterns on a daily basis. Anyone else experience this? it seems indecisiveness is really starting to rule my life, Wish I knew how to just knuckle down and obtain my first cert.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I am the opposite I find studying a real slog, I mean grinding through page after page of text isn't my ideal of fun that's when I discovered I was a visual learner. Currently my thought patterns are a b*tch I set out to do something and have a plan in my head of what I want to acheive so I buy the books and begin to study but I always end up giving up getting distracted and the books end up gathering dust.

I then have these real negative moments where I feel like I can see myself missing out on certs, and this leads to a depressing / life going nowhere feeling. It's like a constant battle with my chain of thought patterns on a daily basis. Anyone else experience this? it seems indecisiveness is really starting to rule my life, Wish I knew how to just knuckle down and obtain my first cert.
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm the same way. I realized there are certain aspects of my life in need of attention and improvement right now and I simply can't focus on learning/certs/career until they are addressed. So I have taken a break from certs at the moment. Maybe in 6 months I'll start back up strong again.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i was like this for my A+ , CCNA, and CCNP , this year i am at it again with my cert needs CCDA/CCDP, wireshark and ASA studies. The rest of my cert desires this year are miscellaneous interests, which i am still not surely decided i will pursue. I need a break after 5 years of constant studying a brain torturing cramming. I may stop this summer after my CCDP. I need my social life back and i need to party and reap the fruits of my earnings this summer. So the wireless and wireshark cert may have to wait until middle next year icon_lol.gif

at some point you lose track of life and your surroundings , some of us dont care and some of us realize it and want to make change. I have done enough, i need to relax and change.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    I then have these real negative moments where I feel like I can see myself missing out on certs, and this leads to a depressing / life going nowhere feeling.

Same here. I have learned to defeat this line of thinking by breaking my day down into very small obtainable goals. I might have a goal to read 10 pages then sit and reflect and philosophize about what I have read. 10 minutes later I read 10 more pages. After an hour I take an hour off. Then repeat.

After a while I get a feeling of accomplishment and it is easier to tackle larger goals like 50 pages in a sitting. Of course there are times when you get burned out and start right back at a small goal of 10 pages.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish I had a passion.

Any I do has to be forced along by my will and desire to learn. When it comes down to getting dirty, I get real unmotivated and stall what needs to happen. Thats any subject, whether it be IT, construction, business, etc.

I don't have anything that when I sit down and do it, I just absolutely love it and want to do it all hours of the day. Everything has a very small limit with me and I have to drive myself to keep going.

For example, I have a ton of construction work going on in my house right now, and I'm poking around on the Internet as it just sits there and doesn't get done.

It really sucks but so be it. I just keep pushing and forcing myself to keep going.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not alone, I am always trying to find stuff I can learn and earn!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me it comes in waves. Every few months I go into a frenzy and study to the point of exhaustion, then burn out and don't touch the stuff for a while. The nature of my job has me learning on the job frequently so I think I get burned out of the study stuff because its like taking work home, which leads to higher blood pressure.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think also we tend to invest a certain amount of our identities in certification. From personas on forums like this to how much we incorporate them into our own sense of self-worth. Besides the need to study and all the logical reasons that go with it we end up training ourselves to believe we are being less than we should when we don't do it.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah it's tough but I am going to make some serious changes, first going to create a rota in which as soon as I get in from work I will do two hours study, I am going to aim to tackle the 70-680 first.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah it's tough but I am going to make some serious changes, first going to create a rota in which as soon as I get in from work I will do two hours study, I am going to aim to tackle the 70-680 first.

I agree with this. Setting down a planned session is a good idea. Make sure you put a 10 minute break between those two hours and make sure you get buy-in from your spouse and children if you have them. They need to know you are not to be disturbed. In order for this to work, though, you need to set limits on yourself. Tell them, for the next X months I will be studying to complete this certification and I will complete by Y. You also want to ensure that your efforts have tangible results for your family to see. So you have to back up the certification with something like a raise, promotion or new job.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I know the feeling. It's the feeling of reward when your hard works pays off as you read, "congratulations, you've passed."

It had me driven for a while. Got A+, Net+, and MCSA on this rush. Since then, it's kind of died down for me a bit. I recently got Security+ and I'm studying for MCITP: EA, but that feeling isn't as strong as it used to be. Studying time has been cut down because of other responsibilites (namely, my son). It also doesn't help that I think I have ADD. I can't stay focused. I'll read something in my book that I'm not sure about and start researching online, and soon enough, I'm on facebook and looking at youtube videos.

What's helping me through my funk is this forum. I love you guys for motivating me. :'-| LOL.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I should mention that I think I'm burned out. IT used to be a hobby, and now it's starting to feel more like work. I'm finding a new hobby in restoring old cars. I'm helping my dad restore his 64 impala.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    (It also doesn't help that I think I have ADD. I can't stay focused. I'll read something in my book that I'm not sure about and start researching online, and soon enough, I'm on facebook and looking at youtube videos.

LOL.
    Me, too.
    But I usually find myself reading through this forum !
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    It also doesn't help that I think I have ADD. I can't stay focused. I'll read something in my book that I'm not sure about and start researching online, and soon enough, I'm on facebook and looking at youtube videos. LOL.

I always liken ADD in IT to the old saying about 'The only difference between Madness and Genius is success'; if it works it's Multitasking, if it fails it's ADD ;).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?