Options

Cap/ist -> bit

duckyyduckyy Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am an 18 year old student attending college in a 4 month course that will allow me to enter the two year program. I will be finishing it this month.

The upcoming program is called Business Information Technology (a mix of computer analyst programmer and information systems technology). A two year program.

I was just wondering if I am taking the right route here in order to be in the information technology field.

Taken from the website:

"Graduates will receive the following diplomas:

•Application Development: Computer Analyst/Programmer diploma
•Database Management: IST – Database Management diploma
•Network Management: IST – Network Management diploma
•Web Development: IST – Web Development diploma

These diplomas are currently granted in the Computer Analyst/Programmer and Information Systems Technology programs. "

I believe I will receive one of which I choose to study. I am planning to enter either networking or application development.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    duckyy wrote: »
    I was just wondering if I am taking the right route here in order to be in the information technology field.

IT is a very broad field. What do you want to do?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While you are pursuing your studies you'll want to do a few things:
    1) If you take a class covering material for a cert, take the cert test and get the cert.
    2) Get experience while getting your education; co-op, internship, volunteer, work study, or try to get a help-desk job somewhere
    3) Decide between the 2 (networking, app development), research to make your choice.
    Good luck in the future, you wont regret the work you put into furthering your education.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    what kind of degree will you have? is it a B.S? An A.S?
  • Options
    what kind of degree will you have? is it a B.S? An A.S?

I don't think I will receive a degree?

Just a diploma stated in my first post icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    duckyy wrote: »
    I don't think I will receive a degree?

Just a diploma stated in my first post icon_rolleyes.gif

i dunno, it seems like a waste if its not going towards a degree. Why not get in a program that will give you an Associates. If you later decide to go for a bachelors it will be very easy to transfer those credits. Just seems like a waste of 2 years when you really wont have much to show for it.
  • Options
    i dunno, it seems like a waste if its not going towards a degree. Why not get in a program that will give you an Associates. If you later decide to go for a bachelors it will be very easy to transfer those credits. Just seems like a waste of 2 years when you really wont have much to show for it.

Is this true you guys? icon_cry.gif