Cisco hardware shortages and lead times

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
Whats going on with Cisco and their stock? There seems to be shortages of most of the ASA boxes and a few other ranges like the 4900 switches.

It took me ages to track down a couple ASA5520s and a 4900. Sonicwall and Juniper must be loving this...

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Same here for ASA5505s. I've heard rumors about quality issues at some manufacturing plant, but they may have just been rumors. I found this article: Cisco supply chain problems persist, prompting even longer backorders. Doesn't really explain why, but seems that plenty of people are frustrated.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ASAs and UC520/UC540s are impossible to get now. I had to use 2801s for the last couple of (small) projects (for VoIP and Firewall/VPN).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I asked our regular Cisco partner and the only ASA box they could get me without waiting 2-3 months for was a 5580. Whilst it would be interesting to use a couple of those, I'd blow my budget and my boss would kill me :)

I've done some searching around and alledgely the shortage of the ASA boxes are because Cisco are changing the chipset used in them and are having some supply difficulties based on that. Some of the other ISR shortages are because people are doing what Pitviper did and using them as a replacement. No idea whats going on with the switches.

Maybe Cisco have dropped all their other lines and are just going to sell the CRS-3 since it is totally going to CHANGE THE INTERNET FOREVER!
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Some of the other ISR shortages are because people are doing what Pitviper did and using them as a replacement. No idea whats going on with the switches.

Hmm, maybe they are trying to clear out the ISR stock so that we're forced to use the more expensive ISR2s come 3rd quarter :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Been a massive problem with getting hold of Cisco gear since last Autumn. One of the main western Europe Cisco "depots" is in France and they are always short.

There is also a huge problem getting hold of BT 100mb + NTUs. 500+ installation breaches countrywide I was told by one of our hardware implementation guys. Not sure how true it is. I can believe the cause though. Nationwide upgrade of mobile phone stations to handle all the web stuff they are putting on phones now.

Maybe the Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese just arn't making them fast enough.
    Kam.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I work at Cisco and I know that we have started ordering many UCSs for our own use and the lead times are longer than most other gear. Its funny when they finally arrive though. The engineers start giggling and dancing around like it was Xmas morning...
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Down to 3 weeks on our last quote!