Options

The saddest job posting I've seen in a while...

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
IT Help Desk

I might be wrong in posting this here, but seriously... Minimum wage?
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Thats pretty common where I live, but I would have expected a lot more in CA. I imagin the cost of living isnt cheap nearly anywhere in CA.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Thats pretty common where I live, but I would have expected a lot more in CA. I imagin the cost of living isnt cheap nearly anywhere in CA.

That's the cheapest job posting I've EVER seen here.... I've seen some in the $10/hr range which I find laughable as well, but minimum wage? That's a joke. You'd probably have less stress flipping burgers or working retail. I think Geek Squad even pays more than that.
    Even if you have no working experience, as long as you understand the concepts and can prove yourself in an interview, anyone should be able to do better (even for their first IT job) than minimum wage.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IT Help Desk

I might be wrong in posting this here, but seriously... Minimum wage?

Wow. SMH...

I wonder if they will be able to fill that position. Unless they are giving out some killer bonuses that would be less than unemployment wages, at least where I live.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe it's a typo (and should be $18/hour?). Also, they might be looking for a HS or college student to work part time. Near that company, there are several high schools, plus a community college and a university. The plaza near there has tons of restaurants and stores staffed by young people, so maybe $8/hour is competitive for the area.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Maybe it's a typo (and should be $18/hour?). Also, they might be looking for a HS or college student to work part time. Near that company, there are several high schools, plus a community college and a university. The plaza near there has tons of restaurants and stores staffed by young people, so maybe $8/hour is competitive for the area.

We have plenty of colleges and high schools in L.A. county, but seriously... $8/hr is NOT competitive at ALL. I would say it's a typo, but I've seen that job posted before and it was for $8/hr. No wonder they're having to repost the job...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

Possible, but with system and network administration as part of the job duties, and required overtime...
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When you need experience, you need experience. My local college hires people for the same line of work for the same amount.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    When you need experience, you need experience. My local college hires people for the same line of work for the same amount.

that just sucks. I thought I was getting ripped off at $13/hr for my first IT job...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    that just sucks. I thought I was getting ripped off at $13/hr for my first IT job...

With my current certifications, I'm pretty sure I am worth more than $10/hour which is what I am currently getting paid. But in my area, 3+ years experience or no job for you. So I take what I can get. At least I enjoy this job.

Also part time... this sucks. If anyone knows a better job in the Houston TX area let me know =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    We have plenty of colleges and high schools in L.A. county, but seriously... $8/hr is NOT competitive at ALL. I would say it's a typo, but I've seen that job posted before and it was for $8/hr. No wonder they're having to repost the job...
    For a "real" job, $8/hour is terrible for this area, but for a student job it is not that bad. I actually attended the university down the street from this company, and as a student I worked at a computer lab on campus for about $10/hour (though this was several years ago). Other student jobs on campus paid even less, for example stocking books at the bookstore was around $8/hour. Whenever there was an opening at the lab for student positions, there were tons of applications.

So I was just speculating that they are looking for a student. Considering that pay for jobs at the In-N-Out Burger around the corner from this company start at $10/hour, I think you are right that this is just a sad job posting. Looking more carefully at the job description, it doesn't make a lot of sense that it is a student job. The employee has to travel and be on call which wouldn't be good for students.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It says "While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee is required to talk and hear".

Wouldn't that be discrimination against Deaf people??
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on how you look at it. Some people would do an internship for free to get the experience. Looking at the tasks this could be a great way to learn Active Directory, Backups, General System Administration stuff. Some times you need to see the big picture and view your current situation as a stepping stone to something better. On the other hand, if you know a lil something about computers you could probably get a job paying almost twice as much as that doing tech support. Although the experience may not be as good.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was wanting to get into the IT field instead of letting my degree rot in managing retail sales, I would have gladly taken this job with a huge smile on my face and I would have been amazing at it. It's a freaking job...do your time, get some experience and move on. It's better than sitting at home moping because you don't have any money to spend on food.
    :study:
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started in tech support for an ISP at $9.17/hr and when I left as a Sr NOC admin 5 years later I was only making $17/hr. $17/hr to basically single-handedly manage a service provider network...
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    When I was wanting to get into the IT field instead of letting my degree rot in managing retail sales, I would have gladly taken this job with a huge smile on my face and I would have been amazing at it. It's a freaking job...do your time, get some experience and move on. It's better than sitting at home moping because you don't have any money to spend on food.

Yeah... Given the LA area and the amount of job posts around here, I think even people who are new to the IT field (me) can and will do better. I just got a job for about $22/hr after a WEEK long job search and this is my second IT job and second year doing IT work. My first job paid me $13 an hour and that's on the low scale around here. Minimum wage for a job that requires administration, travel, and mandatory overtime for IT work is ridiculous.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    It's better than sitting at home moping because you don't have any money to spend on food.
    Even with this job you'd probably be doing that! icon_lol.gif

The cost of living in this area is pretty high.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    We have several listings like that where I work, but they require a BS or MS on top of everything else... Sad thing is, people are applying.
  • Options
    irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I live in western Massachusetts and sadly that's very common right now. Currently it's an employers market and they know it, can't do anything about it but try to wait it out.

take care,
    Sean
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I would have taken the job....in high school.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    I need the experience and I would take the job if I liced around the area. I don't care. I'm working as a temp for the election office right and I don't even consider it real IT since we work on a machine called a evid (electronic voter indentification unitU.

I would take this in a heartbeat to get real experience.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    my first IT gigs as a independant contractor were 16$/hr

first full time job was ~18.50 that moved to about 20.50 before I left.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, many people said that they would take that job to get some exp, but THEY REQUIRE THOSE LONG LIST SKILL. So in other words, they want you to have that exp before you applied. So if you want that job but not exp forget it.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    impelse wrote: »
    Yes, many people said that they would take that job to get some exp, but THEY REQUIRE THOSE LONG LIST SKILL. So in other words, they want you to have that exp before you applied. So if you want that job but not exp forget it.

The actual requirements of the job are not the same as the duties performed. The requirements are basic Windows support - which many probably have done for friends/family. The duties involve enterprise applications which they are not listing in the "required" section. This is why it would be good experience for someone starting out.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would absolutely take this as my first IT job if that's where I was at in my life. They aren't requiring any experience, degrees or certs. If their job duties list is in any way correct, you'd get a lot of exposure and experience to different areas.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    It beats flipping burgers.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its craigslist. Does anyone here actually expect to find a decent job through there? I'm actually asking, not being sarcastic. It just doesn't seem like a site I would even consider looking at if I were after a legitimate career.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Its craigslist. Does anyone here actually expect to find a decent job through there? I'm actually asking, not being sarcastic. It just doesn't seem like a site I would even consider looking at if I were after a legitimate career.
    There are legitimate job listings posted on craigslist. I've found a job through it before (though I was searching on indeed.com, which aggregates listing from various sources including craigslist).
    MentholMoose
  • Options

Found my last two jobs through Craigslist.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like craigslist.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Guess it just depends on the area. I've never seen anything but crap like this anytime I've looked through the jobs section. No offense to those that said they would take this job :)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.