Options

The saddest job posting I've seen in a while...

2»

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Its craigslist. Does anyone here actually expect to find a decent job through there? I'm actually asking, not being sarcastic. It just doesn't seem like a site I would even consider looking at if I were after a legitimate career.

Got the last two IT jobs off craigslist. Getting paid $22/hr now from it. Not bad considering I've only officially been in the field for a year and a half now
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Guess it just depends on the area. I've never seen anything but crap like this anytime I've looked through the jobs section. No offense to those that said they would take this job :)

I agree with you in the fact that I wouldn't take this job either. There's WAYYYYYY too many IT jobs around here to be wasting my time on something that pays minimum wage.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    importantbrianimportantbrian Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The saddest thing is that if I didn't have a wife, mortgage, etc. I would probably take that just to get my foot in the door somewhere. Finding a tech job with no experience, no certs yet (studying for CCENT), and a BS in History (starting an MS in CIS in May) is a tough task. So, if they were willing to give me a shot I'd probably jump at it.
  • Options
    sundaysuitsundaysuit Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guess it just depends on the area. I've never seen anything but crap like this anytime I've looked through the jobs section. No offense to those that said they would take this job :)
    I found my previous job through craigslist; I live 16 miles away from downtown L.A., so I guess that when it comes to craigslist, YMMV depending on where you live.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□

Both jobs I've found on CL were not crap, both paid around 60/hr and offered great benefits. In my area, CL is a great tool for serious job hunters.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The saddest thing is that if I didn't have a wife, mortgage, etc. I would probably take that just to get my foot in the door somewhere. Finding a tech job with no experience, no certs yet (studying for CCENT), and a BS in History (starting an MS in CIS in May) is a tough task. So, if they were willing to give me a shot I'd probably jump at it.

I have an honours degree in History and followed that with a Masters in IT. It took a while to get a break with no experience in the nineties but it came around. Keep plugging away. some companies want an educated self starter with potential they can mould. Thats how I got my break years back.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its craigslist. Does anyone here actually expect to find a decent job through there? I'm actually asking, not being sarcastic. It just doesn't seem like a site I would even consider looking at if I were after a legitimate career.

It depends really. There was a couple of great positions posted on craigslist in my area. I just interviewed for one today. The other, I talked with the recruiter for the position today. So it varies.
  • Options
    importantbrianimportantbrian Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I have an honours degree in History and followed that with a Masters in IT. It took a while to get a break with no experience in the nineties but it came around. Keep plugging away. some companies want an educated self starter with potential they can mould. Thats how I got my break years back.

It’s nice to hear about someone who has been in the field for a while that has already traveled down the path I’m planning on. I’m hoping someone will give me a shot before I finish my degree so I can have some experience to go along with it when I get out, but if not I will just keep plugging away with studying for certs and classes.

Just curious what convinced you to go from History to IT? I personally had a job where I did some work building and maintaing a small database, because we couldn’t afford to hire actual IT people to do it. I enjoyed that more than anything else I’ve done so I decided to pursue IT.