Failed CCENT today

HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I ran out of time with one sim and fifteen questions untouched.

Over the past year or so I have passed five certifications exams all on my first attempt. That would be three CompTIA exams (A+ counts as two exams) and one Microsoft exam. I have never had a problem with running out of time.

I feel I know the CCENT material I just never trained or practiced for speed questions and answers.

Now I am very worried about my next attempt. My understanding is that if you fail the CCENT twice you have to wait six months before you can attempt your third try. Would this mean that I would also have to wait six months before I could attempt the CCNA exam?

I am thinking that rather than risk failing the CCENT twice I should just Man-up and attempt the CCNA exam? If I were to go this route and fail the CCNA exam what would my exam options then be? Could I take attempt the CCNA exam for a second time? Would I still be eligible to go back and attempt my second try at the CCENT exam?

Your thoughts please

HardDisk

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What were your score breakdowns? What material did you use? Don't give up. Tackle the areas that you were weaker in, polish up the areas that you did okay in, give yourself a couple of weeks of hard core studying and you'll be in there! Good luck!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • jwillsjwills Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My opinion would be to retake the CCENT. I failed on my first attempt like many people on here. I took 3 weeks and just studied hard and passed the next time. The second time was much easier, because i knew what to expext. One thing i worked on, was not spending too much time on questions i didn't know.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would retake the CCENT again. How long you study for it depends on how you scored, did you fail by a little or a lot? Were you weak in only two or three areas or all of them? Like many I failed my first time too, so don't feel down. Just study up maybe get a different book, I got todd lammle's book and it worked for me. You'll get it!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Sorry to hear that but don't let it beat you down. You said you ran out of time with 15 questions untouched? That's quite a lot my friend..

Look at your score card and find out what were your weak points and study those hard....

I would definitely try to take the test again while the info is still fresh, but not so soon, not right away...maybe within a week or two, as soon as you work on your weak spots.....but don't go months without taking the next exam...
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    welcome to the world of cisco.

comptia is a complete beginners certification and its answer is very straight. i also remember the first time i took the microsoft exam in which the wordyness of the questions throw me off for a while.
    think of cisco exams as major league baseball. instead of the batting cage it will also throw you curve balls, change up and others to confuse you. the knowledge and judgement of how things will truely matter will be more of a factor instead of just straight up facts. troubleshooting is very important. and cisco expects you to know it well.

judging from the degree that you missed, you should get a ccent book and read it front to back at least once and do some practice exam before you head to the retake.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    HardDisk wrote: »

Over the past year or so I have passed five certifications exams all on my first attempt. That would be three CompTIA exams (A+ counts as two exams) and one Microsoft exam. I have never had a problem with running out of time.

I feel I know the CCENT material I just never trained or practiced for speed questions and answers.

Now I am very worried about my next attempt. My understanding is that if you fail the CCENT twice you have to wait six months before you can attempt your third try. Would this mean that I would also have to wait six months before I could attempt the CCNA exam?

I am thinking that rather than risk failing the CCENT twice I should just Man-up and attempt the CCNA exam? If I were to go this route and fail the CCNA exam what would my exam options then be? Could I take attempt the CCNA exam for a second time? Would I still be eligible to go back and attempt my second try at the CCENT exam?

Your thoughts please

HardDisk

Somehow you missed the golden rule of do not spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM....
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    binargs wrote: »
    instead of the batting cage it will also throw you curve balls, change up and others to confuse you.
    QUOTE]

I disagee I find CISCO questions are very stright up and to the point, OK they expect you to be able to understand the topics but they don't throw in trick questions or misleading ones.

The CISCO exams really do test the topics though, and like many have said, don't wast time trying to answer a question you are tuck on. At the ned of the day its better to loss marks on a sim (even if it casues you to fail the exam) but get though all the rest of the questions. this means at the end of the exam if you do fail your score will give you a much better breakdown of where you need to work.

I would also suggest getting hold of the exam guide, or CBT/trainsignal Videos and go through them.

The CCENT is about knowing the topics so you need to go over them till you understand and not jsut "know them"

And if you found the CCENT hard then the CCNA will be a lot worse, you have less time per question, and more dificult ones as well.

I would stake a step back, go over the material and hit the CCENT again soon
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    miller811 wrote: »
    Somehow you missed the golden rule of do not spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM....
    icon_rolleyes.gif

Although true, I have to admit, on my exam, I literally spent 15-18 minutes on one sim. Why? I was pisssssed....

I already thought I failed the exam and I was determined to get this sim right before moving on.

I won't reveal what it was but it dealt with ACL's. And I didn't think the question was unreasonable in anyway. I was hitting myself in the head why I couldn't come up with what they wanted.

I finished my exam with just a little under 5 mins. to spare....it was CLOSE!!!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While the "10 minute rule" is really more of a suggestion -- it's a good one. Time Management is probably the #1 piece of advice for the CCNA (and almost any Cisco exam).

Try the practice questions in the Odom Cisco Press Book if you haven't already tried them. And if you don't have the Odom Book(s) (The Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library by Wendell Odom) then that's probably a big part of the reason for the failure.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Re: Fail twice and face "The dreaded 6 month waiting period"!

Thanks everyone for sharing on this post. I have read most of the posts on this forum and other CCNA forums but somehow when it is your butt that was kicked these comments seem more applicable.

It is true I did break the golden rule of spending to much time on my first sim. In my preparation for the exam I had not seen such a sim so that was the beginning of my demise. Even now that I know what to look for I can not find practice sims that closely resemble those found on the actual Cisco exam. Any thoughts?

My real questions and fear is what do you do if you fail twice and end up being forced to wait 6 months before you can test again? I have the next two months where I can study full time and that's it. A 6 month cool down period would snuff out my CCNA dreams!

So strategically what are my options? Can someone still take the CCNA exam if they are currently barred for 6 months from taking the ICND1?

HardDisk
    A+, Network+,
    Security+, MCTS-Vista

My real questions and fear is what do you do if you fail twice and end up being forced to wait 6 months before you can test again? I have the next two months where I can study full time and that's it. A 6 month cool down period would snuff out my CCNA dreams!

I don't know if I like this 6 month rule, I don't get the point. Cisco is making money off these exams so if someone wants to take it 3-4 times within a month why stop them?

You see, now that you failed the first time, it puts LOADS of pressure now for you to pass it or else like you said, it would snuff out your CCNA dreams.

If I had to wait half a year to take it again? Does anyone think you're still going to be in the mood and have the info fresh in your head? I would be completely DRAINED if I had to retain all this CCNA material for another 6 months to take a shot at it again....

With that in mind, I'd take a very careful approach this time around, make sure you really know the material. If it takes another month or 2 then so be it. But it sure beats rushing another test only to wait half a year!!!! (if you fail)
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is no "6 month rule" that applies to exam failures. You only have to wait 5 days before retakes.

You do, however, have to wait 6 months after PASSING an exam before you can retake it.
  • steve514steve514 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would stick with the CCENT exam as the CCNA exam will cover all of the material on the CCENT, but in more detail plus some new information as well. Don't get discouraged!

I would go back, figure out what areas you are weak in, and then buckle down with some hard studying in those areas. Stick with it because it will pay off in the end!
    DPG wrote: »

You do, however, have to wait 6 months after PASSING an exam before you can retake it.

I'm confused. You have to wait 6 months to do what? Retake an exam you already passed?? Why would anyone in their right mind do that when they have 3 years shelf life!! LOL....
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Don't get discouraged. Just study the areas again that you scored low in and re-take the exam. You'll get it on the next go around. Trust me if you plan to do anything above the CCENT and CCNA, you'll probably run into this type of issue again. Cisco blows away Comptia and Microsoft certs when it comes to these exams. I would say they are about twice as difficult as both. That's just my opinion though.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no "6 month rule" that applies to exam failures. You only have to wait 5 days before retakes.

Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. sounds right to me though this.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am thinking that rather than risk failing the CCENT twice I should just Man-up and attempt the CCNA exam?

Bad idea in my opinion. If you ran out of time on icnd1, you'll definitely run out of time on the 802 exam. Practice your labs and go for it again. If it makes you feel any better, I failed my first time too.
    Why would anyone in their right mind do that when they have 3 years shelf life!! LOL....
    A Cisco instructor has to pass a Cisco exam with a higher score than the normal passing score to be certified to teach that course.

I guess that's their motivation to know the material better than the average bear. If they don't hit that Instructor Level Score then they have to wait that 6 months before they can take the exam again. Of course they shouldn't schedule the exam if they're not ready -- and if they can't even get a regular passing score they shouldn't be teaching it anyway (so punting the exam half way through if they don't think they are going to pass shouldn't be an option).
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A Cisco instructor has to pass a Cisco exam with a higher score than the normal passing score to be certified to teach that course.

I guess that's their motivation to know the material better than the average bear. If they don't hit that Instructor Level Score then they have to wait that 6 months before they can take the exam again. Of course they shouldn't schedule the exam if they're not ready -- and if they can't even get a regular passing score they shouldn't be teaching it anyway (so punting the exam half way through if they don't think they are going to pass shouldn't be an option).

Interesting. I think if you are an instructor, this is very fair. If you are constantly training your students on the same material day in and day out, there is no excuse for you to have any low score.

I hear about people who fail the CCNA but work on Cisco equipment day in and day out, I beleive that's different, because you're not exactly covering all the CCNA topics at your work place...

As an instructor you are....

Do you know what the score has to be? I'm assuming at least 900+ ???
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm confused. You have to wait 6 months to do what? Retake an exam you already passed?? Why would anyone in their right mind do that when they have 3 years shelf life!! LOL....

Braindumps.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go retake it. I failed it the first attempt by one point and then retook it 5 days later. I barely studied the second time because I knew I had the material down. I rush through the test the first time because I was over confident. Cisco said no you can not be like that and show me what a real exam was about. Not trick questions but questions you should know answers too.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    In summary:

It seems the Urban Legion of fail the ICND1 twice and your toast is incorrect.

Time management is critical which for me means you must be confidence and bold.

I will also add beware of scheduling your Cisco exam on a Monday. I can give two reasons for this:

One, the testing center is more likely to be busy/noisy.

Two, the TEST rescheduling rule requires 24hr notice which does not include Saturday or Sunday. If you schedule you test Tuesday through Saturday you can always chicken out the day before and reschedule. However if you schedule your exam on a Monday and you crash and burn over the weekend you still have to take the exam as scheduled (or forfeit $125).

I will add a third reason that seems to apply to me. I am almost always mentally sharper later in the week than I am on a dreaded Monday morning.

Note: I called my local testing centers and they told me that Monday's and Friday's are their busiest days.

HardDisk
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Time management is critical which for me means you must be confidence and bold.

More importantly, being able to troubleshoot quickly.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

Your thoughts please

HardDisk

I strongly suggest keeping with what you currently know, and taking the test again. You claim to know the CCENT material, no point is just passing by it when you are comfortable with the knowledge and skills you have.

Also if the issue is time, the CCNA will be no easier. You are better off practicing your speed with less materials to juggle than otherwise.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Braindumps.
    Someone collecting test questions would just fail the test and go back every 5 days.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Someone collecting test questions would just fail the test and go back every 5 days.

Ok so now I am confused again. Is there a limit to how many times you can take the exam or not?
    Is there a limit to how many times you can take the exam or not?
    No. You can take it as many times as you need to pass....

.... unless your test activity is suspicious. Your score report and exam results are "preliminary" until reviewed by Cisco, which could take a couple of days.

Someone who takes the exam every 5 days and fails miserably while spending lots of time on the questions they haven't seen before (while speeding past repeat questions from the exam pool they've had before) would probably get flagged by Cisco.
  • videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't pas the CCNA when I took it. I decided to do the ICND 1 test on my next try and passed it.
    I actually scheduled the test on a Monday so I could not chicken out and had to take it.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    do you get points for partial answers?

lets say a questions ask for 3 answers but you only answered 2 correctly? will it still give you points?

also on the sim if you partially completed the config will you also get points?
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    super22 wrote: »
    do you get points for partial answers?

lets say a questions ask for 3 answers but you only answered 2 correctly? will it still give you points?

also on the sim if you partially completed the config will you also get points?

Cisco has only confirmed that you get partial credit on sims on the exam but nothing else have they confirmed
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.