Options

Potential job; lack of experience

jemisonjemison Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am contracting in Iraq as a cable tech, and was just presented with an opportunity to work as a junior network admin by the program manager. I am 45% complete in my CCNA studies, and I am currently working on my subnetting. The dilemma is, the PM wants to fill the position in 30 days, and wants me to get certified within those days. I am using gns3 along with two 3750's. This exam is pretty broad, and I am one for studying the right way, but how often does the ''boss'' asks you about an upcoming position. I need help with this decision, this is very tough. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This exam takes months of good prep, 3 at least, one month, would be keeping it tight!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just go balls to the walls. If you can put in about 4-5 hours a day on the weekdays and 6+ hours on the weekends you can do it. Take the 1 test route. Lab like mad. You might want to pick up an exam cram or something. I used the Todd Lammelle book and it worked wonders. You might want to look here for lab ideas GNS3 Labs :: Cisco Router Simulator Network Labs & Topologies For CCENT, CCNA, CCNP & CCIE Candidates!

We're pulling for you buddy. Good luck.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have to at least TRY! Give em hell! With that kind of opportunity awaiting after certification you should have one hell of a fire under your feet. Give it a shot.

As far as advice goes and studying properly, the nice thing about the CCNA is they want you to know just about skin deep in a wide amount of areas. Spend a day or two of 5 hours a day on each exam topic, especially on the ones in the 55% you have yet to study. Practice all of them a few days before the exam, and then give it a shot.

I wish I had that opportunity open to me when I got my CCNA.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is a great motivation for you, so study, study and study and pass it
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of people have managed to do the complete CCNA in a month -- even noobs. It just takes some motivation and dedication. The fact that you're already 45% there is a plus.

One of the reasons we'll suggest taking your time to learn the material is that you may not retain it if you're not already working in a job that gives you access to Cisco equipment. Since you've got the job opportunity, this won't be an issue. :D

You'll have to slog through the trivia in the ICND1 portion, but hopefully you already know a bunch of it from your cabling gig. But after the ICND1 trivia you get to start configuring Cisco routers and switches -- so the more hands on practice you can get, the easier the exams will become.

Have you decided on the 2 exam option or the 1 exam option? Either way, check out the exam blueprints -- follow the appropriate link(s) over to The Cisco Learning Network. You need to log in there to see the exam topics, but you should create your free Cisco account anyway if you don't already have one.

I still like the "old" exam blueprints on the Cisco Web site, but I haven't compared them side-by-side with the Cisco Learning Network versions -- hopefully they are identical.

640-802 CCNA

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

640-816 ICND2 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dude even when you're not working on your lab, keep a pocket-sized notebook and a pen on you at all times. When you're eating lunch hand-write the config commands to do certain tasks. The difference between someone who can pass the CCNA quickly and someone who can't is knowing the commands well enough to get you through the exam. Typically the commands are what really make it tough. The concepts are easy.

Also make yourself some flash cards (make your own, don't use pre-made ones) and quiz yourself constantly. I used to do CCNA and CCNP flash cards on the 10 minute bus ride from my college neighborhood to LSU's campus every day. You figure that's an extra 20 minutes of study time that would otherwise go wasted. You can also do flashcards when you're eating, watching TV, using the bathroom, etc. Flash cards are VERY handy for quick cramming.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A lot of people have managed to do the complete CCNA in a month -- even noobs. It just takes some motivation and dedication. The fact that you're already 45% there is a plus.

One of the reasons we'll suggest taking your time to learn the material is that you may not retain it if you're not already working in a job that gives you access to Cisco equipment. Since you've got the job opportunity, this won't be an issue. :D

You'll have to slog through the trivia in the ICND1 portion, but hopefully you already know a bunch of it from your cabling gig. But after the ICND1 trivia you get to start configuring Cisco routers and switches -- so the more hands on practice you can get, the easier the exams will become.

Have you decided on the 2 exam option or the 1 exam option? Either way, check out the exam blueprints -- follow the appropriate link(s) over to The Cisco Learning Network. You need to log in there to see the exam topics, but you should create your free Cisco account anyway if you don't already have one.

I still like the "old" exam blueprints on the Cisco Web site, but I haven't compared them side-by-side with the Cisco Learning Network versions -- hopefully they are identical.

640-802 CCNA

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

640-816 ICND2 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

You are absolutely right about not able to retain a lot of the material that you quickly go over. I think that's what I am more nervous about than anything. Also working across the hall from net admins and engineers is pretty cool, any equipment that gets returned to us, more than liekly collects dust until the next install.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    how are the studies going?
  • Options
    I originally started this post during my studies and the situation had me a bit overwhelmed. Well needless to say, I did not take my exam in that short period, and I did not take the job. After two additional months of studying, I can proudly say that I am now certified. I have also been referred to move next door to work in the Net Admin shop. I still like pulling cable, but I now have an opportunity to get more experience. They are currently short two admin, I have to talk to the lead today to get the specifics. Anyway, I did not know where to post this, and good luck on everyone's studying.
  • Options
    chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jemison wrote: »
    I originally started this post during my studies and the situation had me a bit overwhelmed. Well needless to say, I did not take my exam in that short period, and I did not take the job. After two additional months of studying, I can proudly say that I am now certified. I have also been referred to move next door to work in the Net Admin shop. I still like pulling cable, but I now have an opportunity to get more experience. They are currently short two admin, I have to talk to the lead today to get the specifics. Anyway, I did not know where to post this, and good luck on everyone's studying.

Sounds like a win win situation for you.

Congrats on the certification and good luck!
    2019 Goals:
    [ ] Recertify CCNA
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on getting the cert and for the new job opportunity.
    I'm sure that by taking a little longer to get this cert you will retain the material better.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.