Options

Thinking of changing career to nursing

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone changed there career to the medical field...I'm thinking of taking LPN school...since it only 2 years ..at least will not have a hard time finding a job

Comments

• Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    According to one of your other threads, you're just starting out in IT. Why the sudden change of heart?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    And what happens if it is hard to find a job when you finish with the LPN? Maybe you just need to find something and give it 100% before giving up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't see a problem with your train of thought. If IT isn't for you then by all means go into the medical field. As America is generally getting older, healthcare professionals are becoming more and more valuable. If you feel that you can stake your claim in healthcare go for it. I've had several friends leave IT to do other things that make them more happy (and more wealthy.).
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My wife has been working a hospital for several years on the RN track..according to her, LPN's are slowly being phased out....

The "real world" of an LPN is you do much of the same work as an RN, for half the pay. If anything, you might as well go all the way, get your RN, and make a LOT more money. Just my $.02...
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Yeah, just become an RN. It's only like a few year program and defiantly worth it. You will never have a problem getting a job. People always get sick and die and they need people to fill that demand. I work in a large Hospital and I have thought about switching to something in the Medical field but it would be a big step backwards for me at this stage in my life.

However, I know you would never have a problem getting a job period.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    My mom is an RN, and I make 25% more than she does, if that tells you anything.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I'd rather work on computers than changing bed pans.

My wife works in the medical field and it's not all that its made out to be. She's seen more blood, brains, pee, and poop than I could handle!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    keeranbri wrote: »
    ..at least will not have a hard time finding a job

How do you know that?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather work on computers than changing bed pans.

My wife works in the medical field and it's not all that its made out to be. She's seen more blood, brains, pee, and poop than I could handle!

i have several friends who work for the NHS and that isnt what its just all about...infact i could only dream of the self satisfaction they get from their job. i get none whatsoever at the moment.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nel wrote: »
    i have several friends who work for the NHS and that isnt what its just all about...infact i could only dream of the self satisfaction they get from their job. i get none whatsoever at the moment.

You're right, it is not what it is all about. But it is undeniably a part of it.

Do what you want to do, that is the #1 goal. The #2 goal should be to do what you can succeed in.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.