Options

Exam April 30th...Pointers?

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
I have scheduled my exam for April 30th, I have a strong understanding of most of the objectives for this exam, but there are areas in which I am still weak(I think).

It is my understanding that the N10-004 is a basic fundamentals of networking exam, but during some of my practice test I see questions about SIP and RTP. I was under the impression that the most common protocols like: TCP, FTP, UDP, DHCP, TFTP, DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, ARP, SSH, POP3, NTP, IMAP4, TELNET, SMTP, SMNP, ICMP, IGMP and TLS would be covered in this test, and others in CCENT and CCNA. Are there any protocols that I need to study up on before my test date? Besides the obvious SIP and RTP...

Comments

• Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And my exam in April end :) (30th)
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I have scheduled my exam for April 30th, I have a strong understanding of most of the objectives for this exam, but there are areas in which I am still weak(I think).

It is my understanding that the N10-004 is a basic fundamentals of networking exam, but during some of my practice test I see questions about SIP and RTP. I was under the impression that the most common protocols like: TCP, FTP, UDP, DHCP, TFTP, DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, ARP, SSH, POP3, NTP, IMAP4, TELNET, SMTP, SMNP, ICMP, IGMP and TLS would be covered in this test, and others in CCENT and CCNA. Are there any protocols that I need to study up on before my test date? Besides the obvious SIP and RTP...

Off the top of my head, that should be all you need to be aware of. Check the exam objectives.

Related to the protocols themselves, expect very little detail. Your knowledge on network fundamentals will be the very primary focus of the exam, and they will probably expect you to be aware of the some of the common attributes to protocols. I wouldn't sweat the little things.

You have plenty of time to study, so take your time and work hard!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    MrCabronMrCabron Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Recently took the exam and there where a couple of questions concerning linux file/printer sharing on a windows environment. I would throw in some SAMBA and SMB as well. You already listed the majority of the protocols that the 004 tests on just be prepared to know their port numbers and how they relate to each other.
    ==================================
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ==================================
    Network+ 852/900 Security+ 855/900

Future Projects:
    Certified Ethical Hacker: May 2010
    CISSP: July 2010
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    What about security, like WEP, WPA, WPA2, AES, EAP, PEAP, CHAP, TKIP, etc...

I am seeing alot of these as well.
  • Options
    What about security, like WEP, WPA, WPA2, AES, EAP, PEAP, CHAP, TKIP, etc...

I am seeing alot of these as well.

If you are studying up to date resources for the Net+ and see those, then I would learn them as well.

Review the objectives here: Download Exam Objectives

What are you using for practice tests? I suggest MCSE, SCJP, CCNA, PMP, CompTIA, A+, Network+, OCP, Security+, Practice Test -uCertify They helped me considerably.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    Exam date has been moved up to the 20th, due to scheduled downtime at work. I am going to study like a fool this weekend.

Any words of encouragement or quick cram session topics?
  • Options
    I test tomorrow at 10a. I'm so nervous!! I always get like this when I have to take an exam. I've been studying nonstop for the last 6 days. At least 18 hours a day. I keep thinking I haven't studied enough.

I will let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on your exam.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I test tomorrow at 10a. I'm so nervous!! I always get like this when I have to take an exam. I've been studying nonstop for the last 6 days. At least 18 hours a day. I keep thinking I haven't studied enough.

I will let you know how it goes!

You're going to come back here and say "That was easy!" =)
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    You're going to come back here and say "That was easy!" =)

You are completely correct.

I sat for my test about 2 hours ago. Walked out after 45 mins with an 888/900. The test did not cover some of the stuff I thought it would have. I was amazed at what the test really was....

Thanks for all your support. Plantwiz, I thank you for all your help!
  • Options
    Great Score! Congrats on the new cert, you earned it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    You are completely correct.

I knew i should have put money on it! I was surprised too when I took it.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is not an easy test. My first time through I left questions I had no idea on and marked questions that I wasn't sure on. After 100 questions 49 were either marked or unanswered. Upon my second time through I looked more closely at the unanswered ones and upon further review I left almost all of the marked ones the same. Final score was like an 840 out of 900.

It is certainly tricky, a lot of the questions were ones I never seen before. But I used the knowledged I gained to select the answer that was most likely correct and it paid off, pretty much every time. I almost felt cheap about having a score that was so good. I really didn't expect that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    humble2007 wrote: »
    It is not an easy test. My first time through I left questions I had no idea on and marked questions that I wasn't sure on. After 100 questions 49 were either marked or unanswered. Upon my second time through I looked more closely at the unanswered ones and upon further review I left almost all of the marked ones the same. Final score was like an 840 out of 900.

It is certainly tricky, a lot of the questions were ones I never seen before. But I used the knowledged I gained to select the answer that was most likely correct and it paid off, pretty much every time. I almost felt cheap about having a score that was so good. I really didn't expect that.
    I kind of felt the same way when I took the test. I practically guessed on a lot of them (the knowledge must have been there somewhere) and scored an 865..really surprised when I got my score. Studying the material pays off.icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I believe the version of the Net+ exam has changed since ya'll have taken it. In fact, I know it has. The N10-004 that I took is the newest version which was pushed out in Oct 2009, due to the abundance of cheaters uploading the question to VCE files on the net. The newest version, the one that I took, was easier to me... I guest I should have reworded that...
  • Options
    I believe the version of the Net+ exam has changed since ya'll have taken it. In fact, I know it has. The N10-004 that I took is the newest version which was pushed out in Oct 2009, due to the abundance of cheaters uploading the question to VCE files on the net. The newest version, the one that I took, was easier to me... I guest I should have reworded that...
    I just took mine Jan 25, 2010 so it was the same version, I believe. I wasn't saying that it was really that hard, just that I wasn't sure about a LOT of answers. I had studied a lot ( Comptia Network+ 2009 ed., Mike meyers CBT videos provided by WGU, Labsim, Exam Force).
    While I did feel I was guessing at a lot during the test I was out of the exam in 45 minutes.