Options

Website Monitoring

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
Hi IT Pro's,

I am interested in installing an open source application that will be able to tell me all of the websites bring visited by users including ID of their IP address.

Is anyone aware of an application that can do this? (Open Source, Free!)

I have found many but companies are charging a huge amount.

Your help is much appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    A transparent proxy using Squid on *NIX would be able to log it all without the user being aware(no client configuration required in transparent mode).
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    Hi,

If I am correct, this will only cache on the users computer? I need an application which I can manage from a central location, such as a server.

:)
  • Options
    Squid runs as a network service on a *NIX server. You route all outbound traffic to the Squid box before sending it to the firewall/router. So, yes, centrally managed. There's no client component to it. It will slow network traffic a bit, as it's another hop.
  • Options
    I am not familiar with Unix/Linux at all.

How do I go about this?

(Apart from learning it) :)
  • Options
    Ahh... if you're familiar with *NIX, you're going to have quite a learning curve. I would recommend googling for a Squid howto first.
  • Options
    In that case, I think I will leave Linux/Unix, I will have to find another solution, thank you for your help though!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Squid runs as a network service on a *NIX server. You route all outbound traffic to the Squid box before sending it to the firewall/router. So, yes, centrally managed. There's no client component to it. It will slow network traffic a bit, as it's another hop.
    Squid is a pretty good solution for this. I would also take a look at Untangle.