Options

should i finish my MCSE or finish my MCITP EA

jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi all
i've been reading and posting questions on these forums for a while. So heres the question i have for you all. I currently hold my MCSA on 2003 and my MCTS on vista config, AD config network infra config and application config. alot of people around here are still looking for MCSE's but the local college is no longer offering MCSE courses which doesn't bother me since i self studied for my MCSA anyway and self studied for the MCTS exams. Biggest issue is if i should finish my MCSE or just finish my MCITP and completely abandon the MCSE prep. I have all the books for each so i don't know what to do. any insight would be appreciated.

Jason

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would finish up the MCSE, you only have 3 exams left. It is still more widely known than the MCITP certs....at least for now.
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I would suggest looking at the job sites and see if the companies around you are using 2003 domain or are they looking for 2k8 skills. I have found companies near me are still just starting to go to 2k8 with new applications but all of their older and most important server are still 2k3/2k3 R2 so having the MCSE in your back pocket is still a big thing in your favor. I also find that less technical managers have heard of the MCSE and know it is the "big" Microsoft cert where as alot of managers who haven't kept up with certifications don't even know what the MCITP is yet. ;)

That being said I would finish your MCSE track studying yourself for it and then you have less tests to knock out for your upgrade exams.

I have told several people I am starting my MCITP track in 2k8 soon and they look at me confused until i tell them I am upgrading my MCSE and then they understand what it is.

Let us know what you decide.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    My 2 cents is to finish up the MCSE. I haven't looked at the material yet for the MCITP upgrade path, but the general consensus seems to be that it obviously builds from MCSE knowledge. There have also been multiple threads started on which tracks upgrade for MCSA/MCSE to MCTS/MCITP certs. Besides, you would be more marketable with both certs.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    decision is made now i'm finishing up my MCSE as many have said it is still sought after in todays job market. As i'm still in school i have time to self-study for the MCSE and MCITP exams. Then i'll maybe finish up the CCNA exam afterwards. Thanks for all the replies