Options

Windows Server 2008 Boot Camps

mcalkinmcalkin Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am wondering if any of you all have gone to any Server 2008 boot camps recently?

Would you recommend them?

I am going to be goping to one soon and am trying to find the best one.

Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    mcalkin wrote: »
    I am wondering if any of you all have gone to any Server 2008 boot camps recently?

Would you recommend them?

I am going to be goping to one soon and am trying to find the best one.

Thanks !

I doubt anyone here will recommend any, as most people here are self-directed, independent learners who'd rather grab a book and a server and start working away. That's usually a pretty cheap way to go, too.

Additionally, most folks don't retain much from boot camp environments-- all you do is sit a class and take some tests, then move on. How much does one remember even a few weeks later?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    petedude wrote: »
    I doubt anyone here will recommend any, as most people here are self-directed, independent learners who'd rather grab a book and a server and start working away. That's usually a pretty cheap way to go, too.

Additionally, most folks don't retain much from boot camp environments-- all you do is sit a class and take some tests, then move on. How much does one remember even a few weeks later?
    +1 I'd hate to see the MCITP go the way of the MCSE with a lot of people getting them through boot camps and braindumps. Do the work so you'll remember everything when you need it in a work environment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bealived that the bootcamps work fine when the person has a lot of experience in the technology and he/she only needs to refresh the information to sit the exam. But if you are learning the technology it will not work, you will not remember anything.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Boot camps do not serve you the bottom line which is getting the experience. Yeah you might be able to pass the exams, but it's when you get to the interviews and they ask you questions that you cant answer.

Invest the money into local college courses or long term courses. You'll feel a lot better in the long run.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    impelse wrote: »
    I bealived that the bootcamps work fine when the person has a lot of experience in the technology and he/she only needs to refresh the information to sit the exam. But if you are learning the technology it will not work, you will not remember anything.
    +1 Just wish they weren't used unless for that purpose. I see boot camps advertised heavily to just anyone. If theperson has the experience and just needs to cement in the knowledge then I'm all for it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    impelse wrote: »

I fell into that category with my Win2K MCSE. I still vaguely remember a few things we learned in boot camp and those went into my 70-291 studies, but I'm probably an exception to the rule. We had one guy in the boot camp (Thomson boot camp) who hadn't read ANY of the study materials prior to arriving in class, and couldn't pass any of the exams even after sitting through the class for a week.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers