Options

mcsa or mcitp

mac456mac456 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im abit confused at the moment of which route to take.

Iv already started the mcsa and have passed 270 and have booked 290 and then plan on doing the 291, then take vista as the elective.

Then the plan was then to upgrade to MCITP.

But recently iv been thinking i might of made the wrong decision and should of started with 2008.

Any ideas of what i should do?

Regards

Mac

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Can't hurt to finish the MCSA then upgrade... but with that said it depends on what your requirements are:

If this is for work then follow the technology path that makes the most sense for your situation. If you are using Windows 2003 servers, finish the MCSA first. If you are using Windows 2008 servers you could switch to that track. If you are doing this for personal reasons then toss a coin and decide what you feel would be best. IMO doesn't hurt to do both if you have the money.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Someone should make a sticky and label it "MCSE or MCITP". If you search around you will find pages of opinions and good advice on this topic.
  • Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    I would finish up the 2003 track then upgrade to 2008. I work for the military and many servers here are still on 2003 way more than 2008 at least at the base that I am at. Also in my last job for a private company it was almost exclusively 2003. You will still find a lot of mileage out of that cert and probably HR people more familiar with the term MCSA then MCITP for initial reduction in resume act :)
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    mac456mac456 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the help guys,

After doing some research i think im going to carry on with my 2003 route and then instantly upgrade it, this way i can put down on my cv that i knowledge in both, as its only 2 exams extra for the upgrade i dont think it will hurt :D
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definately finish 03 then upgrade. It's what I did. And I'm cool icon_cool.gif
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA