Options

What do you think about the Novell Linux Desktop 9

NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering how everyone feels about the new Novell Linux Desktop 9. It seems to be a competitive alternative to Microsoft Windows. I'm sure it will take off pretty good considering it's only like $50 for a workstation license which includes numerous bundled software like for example office applications. I give it like 3 months and there will be certifications out for this OS. Don't get me wrong though, i'm open to all OS, I do use Windows.

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/index.html?sourceidint=productsmenu_nld_bottom

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question.
    Perhaps for experienced users or alternately total newbies. The big problem about having an alternative desktop OS is that the users get totally confused if it is not like what they are used to.
    We have many clients that are still running DOS apps as there is not an affordable or viable replacement and when a new user starts things always get interesting icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, you still have dos in your environment. Well I guess dos apps is still being used. Yeah I can totally agree with you on that one about new users can always get so interesting.
  • Options
    DOS, Win95, W98, W2K, XP, NT Server, W2K Server, W2K3 Server, Novell, Linux - have them all at one client or another.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    matcheymatchey Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the suzie linux enterprise server is getting very good reviews, faster, cheaper and more secure that windows 2003 its claimed. Would like to hear from some users who have used it ??
  • Options
    We have rolled it out in a couple of small sites and are mostly happy with its performance. In the new year I see us replacing all of the RedHat we have left out there.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    matcheymatchey Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    do you think linux is a major threat to m$?

is if hard to use?
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    matchey wrote:
    do you think linux is a major threat to m$?

is if hard to use?

i dont think it is a threat. at least not anytime soon and i will probably never have as much market share. However, i do believe that it will be growing alot in the next few years. M$ is expensive to maintain, and as these younger tech savy kids come out of school and open their own businesses, im sure there will be plenty of uxix/linux user expansion.

Anyone that tries a new OS will find it difficult at first (except OS X ;) )
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    People have proven that they will only put up with so much if Microsoft's crap. Just look at the number of people who now use Firefox. Microsoft employees are even writing (very poor) reviews on why IE is better than Firefox, so you know that they are at least paying attention.

Linux has almost everything it needs to overcome Microsoft, but not quite. The major obstacle lies in the users. As Russ stated, users generally don't want anything different than what they're used to. Anything new completely baffles them.

Linux needs to install and operate as easily as Microsoft does before it will be used in homes. It also has a long way to come as far as software goes. As far as it being a threat...I don't know. It could become one at some point, especially with more vendors incorporating Linux into their companies. (Novell, Dell selling pc's with linux).