Passed MCSE after 2,5 years - Late post!

CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've been away from this great site for a very long time but I'm back now with some great news. First of all - THANK YOU VERY MUCH to all of you that contributed to my success by giving hope, inspiration and all those valuable tips. I should have posted this earlier but I had an accident that prevented me from doing so.

So I thought I'd post and let you know I passed icon_cheers.gif my MCSE in October 2009 and I started it in March 2007 doing the Win XP Pro cert as my first MS test.

It was a very frustrating and long journey for me and I failed some tests along the way. I did the security design "70-298" and Small Business Server "70-282" as electives. The hardest test (even harder than 70-291 or 70-293) was 70-282. There are no exam books especially written for that test and it covers so much such as Win 2003 Server, SQL Server, Exchange Server, SharePoint, etc....failed that test once just on the line and on the second attempt when I passed, it was not much over pass score.

icon_study.gifSo here is what I usedicon_study.gif

MCSE training kit for each exam + the Sybex book to go along (they are all listed on Amazon). For the 70-282 exam I used a total of three books covering Small Business Server concepts:

* Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Unleashed (ISBN: 0672328054).
* Pro Windows Small Business Server 2003 (ISBN: 1590597036).
* Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Administrator's Companion (ISBN: 0735622809.)

I think that the 70-282 (Small Business Server) test give you so much in one package and that you really don't need to take the SQL Server Admin/Exchange Server/SharePoint certs....what you need is much covered there....at least for a beginner. But of course you could dive in deeper if you have the time and money.

I also used MeasureUp, Trancsender and Self-Test to check how I was doing. For lab I first used several computers but then moved over to VMware - That saved a lot of money and noicy computers.

I'm moving over to Linux now because of job change and leaving Microsoft behind (at least it won't be my main area of focus and responsiblity). I'm on the SUSE Enterprise Server track for Novell so you'll see me in the Novell forum from now. Oh, this last monday the 12th of March, I nailed the CLA10 (Certified Linux Adminsitrator) for SUSE Enterprise Server 10. I think the CLA10 is a great beginners' certification. icon_arrow.gif Look here if you are interested in CLA10: Novell Certified Linux Administrator

Best of luck to all of you that struggle with your MCSE and NEVER GIVE UP icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations icon_cheers.gif for both the MCSE and the "good stuff" (Linux) icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SwanySwany Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! What did you use to study CLA10?
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS on both of your exams... Good luck on your Linux studies!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats. I wouldn't worry about the length of time, the main thing is that you finished it. I can relate. A few of the guys that started the MCSE path on TE have already finished, I had to take a 7-8 month break, but am back at it. Good luck with the next certs!!!!!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done!
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I took about that long, too.

Good luck with the Linux studies. I've seen a lot of demand for it lately.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!

Perhaps I should take your advice and finish up already! :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Swany wrote: »
    Congrats!! What did you use to study CLA10?

I posted all about how I prepared for the CLA10 cert in the Novell Forum. Check this out: http://www.techexams.net/forums/novell-certification/53143-another-cla10-admin-certified.html
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cosmocat wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been away from this great site for a very long time but I'm back now with some great news. First of all - THANK YOU VERY MUCH to all of you that contributed to my success by giving hope, inspiration and all those valuable tips. I should have posted this earlier but I had an accident that prevented me from doing so.

So I thought I'd post and let you know I passed icon_cheers.gif my MCSE in October 2009 and I started it in March 2007 doing the Win XP Pro cert as my first MS test.

It was a very frustrating and long journey for me and I failed some tests along the way. I did the security design "70-298" and Small Business Server "70-282" as electives. The hardest test (even harder than 70-291 or 70-293) was 70-282. There are no exam books especially written for that test and it covers so much such as Win 2003 Server, SQL Server, Exchange Server, SharePoint, etc....failed that test once just on the line and on the second attempt when I passed, it was not much over pass score.

icon_study.gifSo here is what I usedicon_study.gif

MCSE training kit for each exam + the Sybex book to go along (they are all listed on Amazon). For the 70-282 exam I used a total of three books covering Small Business Server concepts:

* Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Unleashed (ISBN: 0672328054).
    * Pro Windows Small Business Server 2003 (ISBN: 1590597036).
    * Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Administrator's Companion (ISBN: 0735622809.)

I think that the 70-282 (Small Business Server) test give you so much in one package and that you really don't need to take the SQL Server Admin/Exchange Server/SharePoint certs....what you need is much covered there....at least for a beginner. But of course you could dive in deeper if you have the time and money.

I also used MeasureUp, Trancsender and Self-Test to check how I was doing. For lab I first used several computers but then moved over to VMware - That saved a lot of money and noicy computers.

I'm moving over to Linux now because of job change and leaving Microsoft behind (at least it won't be my main area of focus and responsiblity). I'm on the SUSE Enterprise Server track for Novell so you'll see me in the Novell forum from now. Oh, this last monday the 12th of March, I nailed the CLA10 (Certified Linux Adminsitrator) for SUSE Enterprise Server 10. I think the CLA10 is a great beginners' certification. icon_arrow.gif Look here if you are interested in CLA10: Novell Certified Linux Administrator

Best of luck to all of you that struggle with your MCSE and NEVER GIVE UP icon_thumright.gif

You got there in the end. But a long journey has it's own rewards, I have been preparing for the CCIE on and off since 2001 and I have never felt it held me back. Well done!

Novell is the way forward on lots of levels, the SuSE offerings and integration have been a little known secret for a few years now. Do it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    You got there in the end. But a long journey has it's own rewards, I have been preparing for the CCIE on and off since 2001 and I have never felt it held me back. Well done!

Novell is the way forward on lots of levels, the SuSE offerings and integration have been a little known secret for a few years now. Do it.

+1 here. You know if MS is in bed with them, it has to be for a reason!