Just curious as to how much student loan debt you have?

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am just curious to wonder to whomever had finished there Associates or Bachelors in any kind of computer degree, how much was your student loan when you have finished. I have a student loan in the amount 40k and wanted to know if that is low or high compared to other people. Sometimes i wonder if it worth it that I achieved my Bachelors, but it may be worth it in the long run...correct? I was going to stop at my AAS, but since I already have AA, i figure I should go all the way..which i did.

However, I still wonder why so many people have such a high student loan debt and they still go for there masters..which of course will add to the loan..

Comments

• Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went to community college and earned an AS in networking services technology. I paid in full each semester and never took out any student loans. I start at WGU in June to finish my BS and I also plan on paying in full each semester. I don't like debt.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I went to a state college (around $1500 per semester at first) I ran out of money after 4 years and dropped out. I worked for 3 years then went back ($2500 semester) to the same school. I can go to any university for a masters. I am amazed that schools like Standford publish their course lectures.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I finished my Associates on an ACT scholarship and went back to finish my BA a few years later. I've tried to pay as much as possible in cash, but have about $2500 in student loans at the moment. I'm about 40 hrs from completing.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked the entire time I was in college. I took out $5500 in student loans my senior year to put a down payment on a new car because mine was about to explode. Thats all I had when I graduated and I paid it off within 6 months. It's a Bachelor's degree from LSU.
    :study:
  • jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology early and had about 75 grand in loans.

Im happy the degree has paid off tho - I cant complain. The School name itself got me my job and my current pay.
  • jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me to go to the Uni of Tenneseee, its going to cost me 11,352 a year or 45,408 after scholarships for a four year program after scholarships. I currently have a possibilty of saving 12,000 depending if get selected for another scholarship or not. So I say anywere between 35-55 is in the normal range for loans for a student that doesn't work while he or she goes to school.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Zilch after doing a 4 year Bsc Honours degree :D. Although that might change if i take a masters next year
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have none. I went to a 4 year uni but lived at home. I got enough scholarship $$$ to pay for tuition and part of my books and supplies.

I'm still paying for my wife's loans though, she's been out of school for 8 years now. About $2K remaining.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    This is one things that scares me. I'm looking at anywhere from 15 to 30k for myself to get my bs and may be my ms. My wife is going to have another 50-100k for her 2 AAS degrees in law enforcement and vet tech. I figure we'll be paying it for years upon years. In reality I just hope we both get jobs that makes the debit worth it.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I owed 40k total, 30k of that was private loans. I spent the last year and a half so far spending any descrinary income on my debt. I'm down to 17K in private loans after 18 months, I'm hoping to have it all paid off in another 12 months.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Never had a student loan so 0. Did a BSc and MSc.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    blargoe wrote: »
    I'm still paying for my wife's loans though, she's been out of school for 8 years now. About $2K remaining.
    Thats not bad though. I know people who have 10+K remaining and they've been paying back for over 10 years. It isn't due to lack of earnings either just the sheer size of their loan.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It took me 10 years to pay back mine. I didn't finish my BS then and joined the Navy. My loans weren't that outrageous, I just borrowed enough to pay for 2 years (in the 80's it wasn't that much)
    Compared to what some people borrow present day, even for Junior College, I didn't have that much debt.
    I have zero debt now while attending WGU.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $74K...its crazy how expensive it is to go to school
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • sundaysuitsundaysuit Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    16K for my choice of a sorry excuse for a school the first time around.
    It could've been worse - it could've been 36K.
    Ah well, live and learn.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The Georgia HOPE grant paid for the majority of my Associates, I was out of pocket for books a few quarters here and there, since it only covered $100 per quarter, but that was a very small price to pay. Being able to claim the credit on my tax return for two years more than offset my out of pocket costs.

After I finish my CCIE, I'll most likely be attending WGU to obtain my Bachelor's, and I'll pay out of pocket for that as well, I do not like debt. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about a masters yet
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I owe about $21K

And I thought mine was a lot but after reading some of the replies here..geez
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm sitting around $42k right now. That is after scholarships and grants. Damn UofP online was the biggest cause of this. It's a sad thing that my A.A. degree cost more than both my B.S. and M.S. degree combined. I'll finish out my MS degree in 12/2011 and the final tally will probably be $52k. I'm hoping the housing market turns around, when I can sell the house and pay off the loans with some leftover I will do so.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Thats not bad though. I know people who have 10+K remaining and they've been paying back for over 10 years. It isn't due to lack of earnings either just the sheer size of their loan.

Yeah, but she took more than she needed and did things like buy a dog and paid for a car (that we sold 5 years ago) with the money. And she isn't working and probably will never work in anything remotely related to her degree. But other than that, yeah, not that bad :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    My BS cost me about $30k from a state university. It would have cost more if I had to move out and pay rent/utilities. Since I was military though, I didnt have to pay much out of pocket. I had co-workers with student loands in the same ballpark and its basically another car payment for them :/

I honestly wouldnt be where I am today without the military, and probably wouldnt be doing anything in the IT world.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    NONE!!! I've worked really hard to stay out of debt but next semester I most likely will be getting student loans. I never had any scholarships. I should have my Associates in Network Administration this summer. I plan on having $20,000 in loans to pay off when I'm done with my BS double major. I also plan on having them paid off in 6 years.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I paid 1 semester of my AAS out of pocket. The other 3 semesters I racked up about 4 grand. Been out of school for 4 years and we got it down to under $2,000. But I'm going back to WGU this fall to get a BA. I'm hoping I can transfer and test out of many of the classes. Will be taking out more loans for that. icon_sad.gif
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I owed around 25k after obtaining my A.S. in network systems administration. It was all for the degree though. I always knew i would have to conitnue my cert quest in order to have a good career. I owe around 18k which i plan on having paid off at the end in the summer of 2011.icon_rolleyes.gif I hate Debt, unfortunately i can only **** 1k a month on my loans which is almost all my free money left after i pay off all my other bills. So although i make good money , right now im sacrificing a lot of spending and saving money to kill my student loans. I am almost to the promise land icon_smile.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Wow I dont feel so bad after reading this thread.

5000$ for my AAS, and just took out 6000$ for 2 semesters at WGU. Which, hopefully, will be the entire duration of my stay there.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    I don't owe anything and I'm almost done with my associates in computer information systems.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I came out with 10k for undergrad and paid it off in a year. The second time around i was smarter and took full advantage of scholarships and grants and came out with 0. Third time will prly be 100k but "you have to pay to play".
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    None but then again I graduated 20 years ago....cough, cough.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I paid nothing for my B.S.E.E from Purdue BUT I did have to serve in the US Army for 3yrs. I was the typical kid graduating from High School who fell for the GI Bill/Army College Fund commericals and join the military. It was worth it!!!!
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I owed $30K, but I've got it down to about 3K now. I should have it paid off this year. :)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be about 30K in debt when I finish my bachelors, but chose the program where I make payments on interest to pay the loans off quicker. I think in the long run it will have been worth it.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.