Options

Cloning partition - not entire drive

ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need to clone just 1 partition on my HDD. I have a trial of Acronis and it just seems to want to do the whole drive.

I have a 1TB drive with a secondary partition (300GB) that I'd like to clone over to a 500GB drive.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm reading over the manual for Casper and it looks like you can do it with that software.
Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Ghost can do it easily. I've done it many times.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Clonezilla will as well.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I look into both suggestions.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    ImageX (winpe) captures individual partitions and can place the data back into a different partition, as well.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    ImageX (winpe) captures individual partitions and can place the data back into a different partition, as well.

I knew as soon as I saw that you had replied that it would be a Microsoft solution. :p
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Use what you've got.

Open Acronis True Image Home 2010, at the top of the window is a quasi-menu bar (<, >, Backup, Recovery, Tools & Utilities). Under Backup select "Disk and Partition Backup"; you can probably take it from here... ;)
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Use what you've got.

Open Acronis True Image Home 2010, at the top of the window is a quasi-menu bar (<, >, Backup, Recovery, Tools & Utilities). Under Backup select "Disk and Partition Backup"; you can probably take it from here... ;)

Didn't see that before, but - does that create a bootable clone or just backup the partition?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    forkvoid wrote: »
    I knew as soon as I saw that you had replied that it would be a Microsoft solution. :p

haha. At my last job we rarely ever got any useful tools, so when the WinPE 2.0 and up stuff came out it was an asbolute godsend to have all that functionality for free.

I know there are better products out there, but you just can't beat free sometimes.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Reseven wrote: »
    Didn't see that before, but - does that create a bootable clone or just backup the partition?
    My apologies I assumed we were talking about data partitions, no you can only clone the entire disk not individual partitions with Acronis (although you can adjust the sizes).
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    My apologies I assumed we were talking about data partitions, no you can only clone the entire disk not individual partitions with Acronis (although you can adjust the sizes).

No problem. I guess I should have been clearer about what it is I'm trying to do.

My 1TB drive has 2 partitions-
    C: - Windows 7 - my everyday usage (surf, email, studying, gaming, etc...)
    D: - Windows 7 - my music studio (Sonar, Sound Forge, VSTs, samples, etc...)

I boot to 2 different partitions, mainly so the music stuff does not get mixed up in all the other junk. When I boot to the D: drive, that Windows is configured to use a different sound card (Emu-1212M) and the NIC is disabled so I don't need to use anti-virus. Helps with CPU usage.

I have a 500GB HDD that I'd like to clone the D: partition to so I can give my everyday OS the entire 1TB drive. Then I'd also have be able to give the music OS, D: the entire 500GB drive versus the 300GB it's got now on the TB drive.

I've used Acronis in the past and it's worked great. It was always to clone an entire drive and not just one partition.