Options

Can u do this in IOS?

definitydefinity Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have one port output data say FE0 and have say FE1 input data so it like multiplexing into one port? if so what this called? kinda like Spanning tree protocol but both working at the same time?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You mean combine both ports into a virtual port? Not sure why that would be done except for faster speed. I do not think you can but I am not sure.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    definitydefinity Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    You mean combine both ports into a virtual port? Not sure why that would be done except for faster speed. I do not think you can but I am not sure.
    yeah that exzactly why i want to see if it is possible for more speed
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    your original question, having one port egress and one port ingress is possible, but that doesn't gain you any speed, fast ethernet is full duplex, it can send and receive at the same time at full speed in each direction. You're looking more for the capability to bundle ports into one virtual interface, and as others have mentioned, that's what you'd use an etherchannel for
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    I believe I read you can bridge ports to get double the bandwidth, IE. bridge 2 gig ports to have 2gbps up and down.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    abefroman wrote: »
    I believe I read you can bridge ports to get double the bandwidth, IE. bridge 2 gig ports to have 2gbps up and down.

That is etherchannel.
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    alan2308 wrote: »
    That is etherchannel.

Ah, didn't know it was called that.