Options

Is Supernetting the same as Route Summarization?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278

If not, what is the difference?

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tell us what you think both of those items mean. Maybe that may answer the question for you :)

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    abefroman wrote: »

Functionally, they're the same thing, though you reasons for doing so may not the same.

You generally summarize (though I prefer the term aggregate) your routes in order to reduce routing table size. You could also need a supernet because you discovered that the amount of space you allocated for a subnet wasn't enough, and that the easiest way to grow it is to give a bit back and add the next contiguous subnet assuming it's available.

Let me give you a functional example -

I have a customer that has 10 servers and wants their own IP allocation, so I give them a /28. Then later on down the line, they add 15 more servers. Well, now that /28 isn't big enough. If the next contiguous subnet is still available, I can give them a /27 and renumber the mask on all of their servers. This would be supernetting.

As far as summarization goes.... internally, I have a whole bunch of /24's and /23's an so on. When I advertise that IP space out to the rest of the internet though, I'm advertising the smallest route I possibly can (which is usually a /1icon_cool.gif. I could advertise all of the smaller routes if I wanted, but this is unncessary, as they all lead to the same location, and each route announced eats up router memory and processing time in the event of a flap.

Bonus points - In the first example, I could have also added an additional allocation to the customer's SVI as a secondary IP address. Why would it be preferable to supernet their allocation if possible instead of simply adding another /28 and having them address their servers with that? (Hint: the servers transfer large amounts of traffic between themselves, and there are other customers on the switch that all of these are connected to)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I still prefer summarization as the used word. Aggregate is more of a total.

But yeh, very good example. My boss always has a go at me for using the same terms for describing the same items, maybe this example would give his argument some weight.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Pash wrote: »
    I still prefer summarization as the used word. Aggregate is more of a total.

It's one of those word usage things, in the BGP world it's usually termed aggregation (the command is even called aggregate-address), and I can honestly say that the only place on my network that we're doing summary routes is when we originate our prefixes, so it just kind of sticks.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    abefroman wrote: »

As had been said. Funtionally the same.

A supernet is a group of major networks.

A route summary is a group of subnets.

A major network is any classful network, along with its native mask.

10.0.0.0/8 (255.0.0.0) is a major network
    11.0.0.0/8
    12.0.0.0/8

172.16.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0) is a major network
    172.17.0.0/16
    172.18.0.0/16

192.168.1.0/24 (255.255.255.0) is a major network
    192.168.2.0/24
    192.168.3.0/24

These are all major networks

For example....10.0.0.0/7 is a supernet, which is a group of the major networks 10.0.0.0/8 and 11.0.0.0/8

Supernetting is basically going the other way to subnetting