Options

What all do I need?

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
I'd like to ask for some of your opinions...

I am currently employed as on-site IT support. Been with the company for going on 3 years. Responsibilities include, but not limited to, fixing a printer, troubleshooting a switch, showing a user how to use a cell phone,.....I may even be responsible for ordering flowers for wives...I think you get the point.

I am working on certifications as well as experience for my career. I'd like to get to a point where I know companies will need employees with my expertise. As of right now, I do not think I could leave the company I currently work for, knowing I could find another job.

I am 24 and I've just acquired my N+ certification and will begin my studies for CCENT after vacation the beginning of May. After CCENT I plan to get the CCNA certification.

What is a good position to be in? By this I mean, what certification do employer's value over others? I would like to stay towards the networking side because it intrigues me more than say a Help Desk technician position.

What is your story? Where do you stand? How did you get there? What certification did it take for you to get noticed?

I'd like to thank you ahead of time!

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is no magic certification that make you employable. If you ask me though, you are in good position. If you want to get into networking and grab a CCNA, that with your experience should be able to get yourself a job.

Well, and a well-written resume and top-notch interview skills.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I started my IT career in a small mom & pop computer repair shop. I worked there for a long time and gained lots of experience in consumer and small business support. While working there I got an AAS in Network Support and took my A+. With a few years experience and my associate's I qualified for a vocational teaching position in the public school district where I live. I've been teaching the Information Technology course there for the past 3 years. During the past 3-6 months I started sending my resume out and looking for support positions in larger organizations and just landed one at $23/hr for a large hospital. I'll still be a desktop support tech, but it will put me in a position to move up since they have a pretty large IT team.

I'm working on my CCENT now, and plan to finish my CCNA in the next 6 months. I really want to move into Networking and pursue that long term. I think it helps in the beginning to be well rounded, though, with both PC hardware and basic network skills. That's what got me where I am today, anyway.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V