Options

How do you guys handle interviewing while your currently employed?

Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I put my resume out on the market 2 weeks ago and already i've gotten 3 interviews, one of which I canceled because I didn't like the company after some research. The problem i'm facing now is how to handle going in for interviews and not let it effect my current work.

I work monday-friday from 8-5... no one that has called me is able to schedule me in earlier or later than that or on weekends for an interview. On the two I went to this week I called in one day since the interview was an hour away and the other one I took an extended lunch for which turned into being 2 hours. I've gotten callbacks for second interviews with both companies and am doing another one this friday and next monday. I feel horrible about how it makes my performance look to my current employer by taking so much time off in a short period, i'm running out of excuses lol.

What do you guys do when your in this situation? If I get an offer from one of these two companies this week then it won't be so bad, but if they both deny me I will have to go through this process again for future interviews and I know my company will get fed up.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I usually make stuff up, to be honest. Only interviews I do are for jobs I really want if I am currently employed.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Pick and choose your interviews, otherwise you will be calling in/making excuses a lot. As long as you have a decent excuse, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can get interviews at 8am, call in and say you are running late. If its in the afternoon, tell them you have X appointment. How I look at this situation is... I have to look out for myself/future... few companies truly care about their employee's, and even at that it's not like you "owe" something to them, you are free to quit at your own will. A lot of companies only care about what they provide (services), and what they get in return ($$$).

Or you could just tell them your looking and they will just have to deal with it :) I've done it before, not the best situation but it worked.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    LOL. Reminds me of the time I was looking to leave my first IT job. I interviewed with the school system and thought it went well. Came back to work and the phone rang. It was the guy I interviewed with and he asked to speak to my boss. Confused, I transfered him to my boss. Come to find out I checked a box saying they can contact my past employers. However, I didn't know he would call my current employer!! Made things really awkward around there.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    That's why I say inform them. If your not moving up in your career at your current job, they shouldn't hold it against you for trying to better yourself.... in theory :) some employers might though.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I normally schedule the interview at 4 or 4:30 and I file for time off at 3:30, so I have peace of mind that I am doing something wrong.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess it depends on your employer. When I've interviewed with other companies and still being employed, I've had different experiences between current employers and prospective. Some of the smaller companies that I've worked for would get really upset, while others were cool with it. If you need to take time off, or tell hiring companies that you can only interview on certain days/times because you are working, then tell them that.

You have to look out for yourself at this point, so make excuses when possible. When you are interviewing and short on time, just explain to the interviewer that you need to get back to work. You also need to set limits on some of these people too. When going into 2nd or 3rd interviews, do the best you can, but try and keep your head up. I've found that the less you get your hopes up on things, the better the results. It will happen when it's supposed to.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    fly351 wrote: »
    How I look at this situation is... I have to look out for myself/future... few companies truly care about their employee's,

Exactly!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on your employer. When I've interviewed with other companies and still being employed, I've had different experiences between current employers and prospective. Some of the smaller companies that I've worked for would get really upset, while others were cool with it. If you need to take time off, or tell hiring companies that you can only interview on certain days/times because you are working, then tell them that.

You have to look out for yourself at this point, so make excuses when possible. When you are interviewing and short on time, just explain to the interviewer that you need to get back to work. You also need to set limits on some of these people too. When going into 2nd or 3rd interviews, do the best you can, but try and keep your head up. I've found that the less you get your hopes up on things, the better the results. It will happen when it's supposed to.

yeah, i always ask how long the interview will take, and go from there. I usually try to take PTO days tho. When i was at my old old job, i was working from 12p-8, so i'd either schedule my interviews for 10a or 1030a or like 4ish. And being that I work in manhattan and all the jobs i applied to then were in manhattan it wasnt that bad to get to them and back, as long as i didnt have to take like 3 or more trains & walk a few blocks to get there....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never an easy thing to do. See if you can secure a phone interview first so you can determine the likely hood of getting the job. Then, if you feel good about it, you could also take a vacation/PTO day that day.