Options

Tell my interviewer about an offer deadline?

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
I got an offer yesterday from a great job that satisfies my salary requirements. They want an answer today. I also have an interview at 2 pm for another job that I would seriously consider if the money were right.

Should I just be straight with him and let him know I have to make a decision on an offer today? I don't want to sound cocky telling him I need to talk money......right now. But, honestly that's the truth.
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Ouch, tough position. I would be up front and honest about it. Say something like, "I'm very interested in the position, and I think I'd be a good fit. However, I would like to inform you that I have another offer and they would like a response by whatever time."

Alternatively, you can ask the other company for an extension on the decision time. Hopefully they'll understand.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A bird in hand...
  • Options
    A bird in hand...

Very true.... I'd really like to explore this second option in depth, but I don't feel like I'll be able to. I'm just trying to decided how to approach the CIO I'm interviewing with to get as much of the down and dirty info on this job as I can without sounding rude.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Or you can do what I did. I worked at a software firm for 2 weeks and had to quit because an offer came throught that I interviewed for prior to accepting the software firm job. It happens sometimes.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    Well, everything worked out in the end yesterday. I didn't inform him of my deadline, but I did ask about the salary range at the end of the interview (which lasted over an hour). I feel like I would have it in the bag...but it pays $10k less than the offer I have on the table. So I called on the way home to accept the offer.

New job starts 5/24!!!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I got an offer yesterday from a great job that satisfies my salary requirements. They want an answer today.
    Demanding an answer in one day is just ridiculous. Anyway, congrats on the new job!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV