Options

Baltimore: good area for IT workers?

darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
I'm considering a move because of a job I'm interested in. What's the life and job situation there?

Comments

• Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Stay out of the East side ;)

My brother lives up there, and even though he doesn't work in IT anymore he is still getting emails on job opportunities.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get tons of contacts to do security work out there since a lot of DC workers live in Maryland. I grew up there but it's been years since I have been back
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    B-more is weird....cuz B-more county(Towson, Randallstown, Owings Mills) is pretty decent, but B-more city is ehhhh, depending on where in the city you're at. or you could just live in between dc & b-more and be able to go to either in a bout 20-30 minutes.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most of the IT jobs in the Baltimore area are between B-more and DC. You can go as far West as Aberdeen for gov't contractor jobs and North into Hunt Valley for IT. The further south you go towards DC, the more IT jobs you will find. It's all depending on where the job is and where you wanna live.
  • Options
    mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The pay is comparable to that of a DC contract, so I think it would be a good move depending on where you are coming from. When people say Baltimore, oftentimes its located in Towson, Owings Mills, and Linthicum, which are all nice areas. But be careful in the city, I went to school out there and needless to say, it was not an enjoyable experience. You should plan a visit, go see the Baltimore Harbor, there are nice shops and restaurants and it's beautiful this time of year... But whatever you do, DON'T RIDE THE BUS! Those kids are crazy, seriously...
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • Options
    So, basically, if I move out there and the job I move for doesn't work out, I could find more jobs? I dont have a security clearance, never worked for uncle sam.

Edit to add: I have searched, I see over 4K jobs, with over 450 for sysadmin positions, but sometimes that can be misleading... I'm guessing those are the "area" jobs mentioned in the thread.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ft meade, columbia, etc have lots of gov jobs if you are cleared, those are in the counties south of bmore (howard, anne arundel).
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    So, basically, if I move out there and the job I move for doesn't work out, I could find more jobs? I dont have a security clearance, never worked for uncle sam.

Edit to add: I have searched, I see over 4K jobs, with over 450 for sysadmin positions, but sometimes that can be misleading... I'm guessing those are the "area" jobs mentioned in the thread.

did you include va? not a fun ride from bmore area... still more stuff if you didnt include that in your search.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    did you include va? not a fun ride from bmore area... still more stuff if you didnt include that in your search.

Nah, I'm considering a specific position in Baltimore, just don't want to move out there and have to move straight back if it doesn't work out.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sidsanders wrote: »

yeah, that is true. right outside of DC in like Arlington, Alexandria, Woodbridge, Falls Church. Plus he can look for opportunities in PG County, Charles County and Montgomery County as well.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Job opportunities galore out this way. I'm in Northern Virginia now, but my girlfriend still lives up in Columbia. I would love to find a job in Ft. Meade once they move 15,000 jobs there next year!
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    If you are seriously looking to move to Charm City (Baltimore), try a local employment/placement agency. Tell them what you want and that you want a position that’s temp to perm. Even better tell them you want the hiring company to sponsor you for a clearance – secret or higher. That’s what I did.

Don’t worry about paying the employment agency, the hiring company does that if they want to keep you.

Start now and get some feelers out there. Let them do the hunting for you!!!

There are lots of jobs that don’t require security clearance. Just depends on what you want.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.