Options

Post here if you have taken 2005 Net+ BETA, taking test 12/7

stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Figured I would start the BETA test stuff here. So far my studies have been this site, www.free-tests.com, believe it or not www.cablestogo.com to see the different types of connectors, completition of 4 semesters of CCNA through the Cisco Network academy (3 years ago through the local Tech School), but recieved an "A" for the course, however, I have not taken the CCNA exam yet. And finally almost 3 years of actual hands on experience repairing PC's and trouble-shooting networks.
The site below provides some info about the new objectives for the 10GBaseXX stuff. (Which I have never heard of)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet09186a008007cd00.html

Have to give Sulblk27 credit on that one, he posted the site first :D

Even with the classes taken and the experience I have, I have noticed that preparing for this test I needed to refresh my memory on some of the mundane information. For those of you that have taken COMPTIA tests before know they love to sneak in that, "Why would I need to remember that?!?" type of question. Not sure about you other techs out there, but when I forget how to do a particular fix, be it hardware, software, or some type of registry hack/fix the first place I go is www.google.com :P

Comments

• Options
    TravlerTravler Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your test today!
  • Options
    WOW, what an intense test. 90 questions 90 minutes and they ask for input after every question (which is optional). The very 1st question was about MAC OS icon_mad.gif . BTW I had about 10 questions about MAC OS stuff. I know nothing about MAC. Several about port numbers, but they did not just ask what port number goes with which protocol, they had scenarios that you had to reason out the port and protcol. Some questions about the 10GbaseX, UNIX, alot about EMAIL ports and how the servers work together. Of course the OSI model, so know that definately. Routing protocols, topology, cable length, a few about what connector would you use when....., as I remember more I'll pass it on. I would have to say that this test was harder the my CCNA semester 4 final. So I hope I passed :). I would not want to take this one again.
  • Options
    eternal85eternal85 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, new to the forums, but been browsing them awhile. I go in tomorrow for the NET+ beta and stallion has me worried now :). Oh well, I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow evening
  • Options
    kelvinokelvino Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    anyone here can tell me what is the difference between network + beta exam2005 and the usual network+ exam.............!Does it comes wiht more subjects to study in terms of networking!!!!!!!!!!
    kelvin
  • Options
    I had just maybe 2 questions about subnetting on my NET+ Beta exam.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Did you pass or fail?
  • Options
    eternal85eternal85 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, just took the Network+ this morning. I have to say, I was a little worried, but I think I lucked out because I only had a few of the new beta questions (I think). It was hard, but if you know your stuff and prepare, you'll do fine. I think the Mac OS X stuff was a bit crazy, and some of the wireless questions were a bit ridculous, but hey, who knows. Now I have to play the waiting game
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    garv221 wrote:
    Did you pass or fail?
    It takes up to 60 days for the results to come in.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    now im scared, lol. Makes me wonder if i should take the easy way out and go for the current test. Oh well. I have no money so we will see what happens with this one. Thanks for the post about what you saw on the test. If you remember any spacific questions that stumped ya, let us know.

Looks like i will need to talk to our Mac Tech here at work to brush up on the mac questions. Do you remember what type of OS X questions there are?
  • Options
    perhaps we should keep a running tab on who saw what percentages of each subject?
  • Options
    I did not take the normal test, but I would definately think that the normal test is WAY easier than the BETA.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    LOL MacOSX? So much for a dying market.

I'd be surprised if those stood though. But if they are going to go vendor specific, be interesting to see them chuck some regular old unix questions into the mix.

The test really did need to be harder, IMHO. The current Net+ exam is something of a joke, just like the A+ used to be, sounds like they're on their way, but it's probably too little too late.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    it looks like the Network Support questions are supposed to be about 35% of the test. These seem the hardest to me. Anyone know where i can find more of these questions and answers? are there more on the techexams notes premium edition?

what types of these did you see on the test and how many parts were there to your questions?
  • Options
    ahustonahuston Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am taking Net+ Beta exam on Dec 18th. After reading a lot of postings, I have a feeling I won't pass. Maybe I should take the regular Net+ before it's a requirement to pass the new 2005 objectives. Any suggestions???
  • Options
    XCommandXCommand Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking it on 22 december,I was already studying for n10-002 ,now just googling to learn the new objectives and doing online tests as much as possible wherever I find.
    I just want to hear more from the people who entered the new beta exam.
    In my registeration paper I see 120 minutes,not 90 minutes.
  • Options
    ehadsellehadsell Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the Net+ beta this afternoon. The standard Network+ stuff was easy to me. Lots of OSI and protocol stuff. I was thrown off by some of the wireless questions. A lot more in-depth than I expected for those questions. Hopefully, a lot of people will miss those icon_lol.gif so I can pass.
  • Options
    Hello ehadsell,
    What about Mac OS questions?
    Was it 120 minutes or 90 minutes?
    How many 10GBase questions?(xxxxxx)
    Thank you
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the beta on the 8th. Pretty much what I expected. 90 questions, 90 minutes plus 30 minutes for surveys, instructions, and agreements.

I had a number of questions about Mac OS networking (3-4 questions). Absolutely no questions on subnetting, and only 3-4 on wireless. Overall I didn't think it was too tough. I deal with most of this stuff on a regular basis in my job, so I ha some advantage. I spent no extra time studying since I don't need the cert, but hey a freebie is a freebie.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    BrianBergquistBrianBergquist Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am scheduled to take the exam on 12/18. I just finished reading the ExamCram2 book although it doesn't cover the Beta material. Mike Meyers' 2nd edition of his Net+ Passport is finally out, but sold out on Bookpool icon_sad.gif His A+ Passport helped me pass that exam, albeit barely.

I'm surprised to see that there is OS questions, but I had a feeling that there would be more wireless. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up guys and I'll let you know what to expect. Too bad we have to wait 60 days for the results though....Maybe that's in our favor?????
  • Options
    From comptia site,you can download the objectives of the exam,can someone who entered the beta exam answer please 2 questions please?

1-) Did you get something else except than these objectives?
    2-)In that pdf file(network+ 2005 objectives),there is Acronyms Reference,do you have to know all those things in that list?

Thank you very much
  • Options
    I signed up for my beta exam. I have until the 27th to study.

I dont know if there will anything other then what is on the objectives list, but basically i am just reading as much as i can in my Net+ book. When i get to the final week, if i have not finished the book, i am going to only study the objectives on the list and do my google search for the remaining items.

As for the acronyms, when you read about this stuff you pick up what they all mean but im sure you dont have to know every single one.
  • Options
    I agree. I took the exam on 12/7 and all the acronyms were not on the test, however, I feel you should be familiar with most of them. Remember the computer world is filled with "TLA" ..... Three Letter Acronyms! :D . BTW, still do not have the results of my test yet. I have been searching around different web sites and I read some posts claiming that COMPTIA sent them an email stating that not as many people took the Beta exam as they anticipated, so the results may be in as early as January.
  • Options
    If you pass,do you also get a number like CCIE? So will we know how many passed Network+ test?
  • Options
    Not sure about the number for the NET+ test. So thinking along those lines, is the COMPTIA (when you pass the A+) number you get mean that you are the XXX number that passed the test? BTW, WOW are the number of views.
    Also, do you get another number passing the NET+ after you have your A+? In other words, do you get a second COMPTIA ID# or does your ID just now encompass both tests?
  • Options
    TimDWTimDW Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking my Net+ 2005 beta exam on Dec 22th
    I use(d):
    => http://www.studyexam4less.com/n11-003.asp (2005 obj.)
    => Exam Cram 2 book
    => the great PDF provided on this site

Good luck to everybody taking the beta! :)
  • Options
    It really takes time to google everything and learn.
  • Options
    ahustonahuston Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone. I took the Net+ Beta exam on the 18th and it wasn't too hard. I was actually surprised to see that there were only like 2 MAC questions. I noticed that people were saying that there were a lot of MAC questions. It was mostly ports, DHCP, DNS, Bluetooth, & network support. Hopefully I passed. Does anyone know when the results wil be in???
  • Options
    result should take 60 days or less.

I go in on monday. I still have a few topics to study ;(
  • Options
    BrianBergquistBrianBergquist Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

I took the exam last Saturday and I didn't think it was too bad. Yes, there are some questions on Mac OS X, which of course, I totally blew, but I don't think it's enough to fail the exam if you know most of your stuff on the other objectives.

All in all, I thought the exam was pretty all encompassing and well balanced. I don't think it really focused on one particular area. I used the ExamCram2 book as well as the companion guide of 500 questions. All in all, I probably quizzed myself on about 700 questions in addition to my year and half of on-the-job experience and it definitely helped.

The exam is 90 questions for 90 minutes. You'll need to know the following pretty well:

OSI Model
    Ports
    Protocols
    Utilities
    Topologies including wireless networks (I don't have a lot of wireless
    experience, but setting up my own wirless network at home was
    helpful. You will be asked about WEP.)
    Wired/wireless Media

If you know those pretty solid, then the network support/troubleshooting part of the exam will be fairly easy. Hope this helps. Good luck!

-Brian
  • Options
    What is it exactlt about wireless? speed of a,b,g or security related questions?