Options

Best way to learn MCSE

S@NS@N Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I currently work in the industry in a 2003 environment. Last year I finally pulled my finger out and did 70-270, 70-290 and 70-291. I have a full time job and family so study for me is part time.

I was learning using Seek online study, however I felt that after I'd gone through their online stuff, and got about 90% on all the tests, I still didn't know enough of the material, I would then use online guides, books and prep exams and sometimes they seemed to miss an awful lot of stuff.

For the 291, it barely covered routing at all, I played around with it in my own test environment, but barely passed the exam.

My sub to seek has expired and my company is willing to renew my study, but I'm looking for something a little more comprehensive? I kinda feel that the seek stuff is good to dip your toes into, but other than that it's fairly useless.

Does anyone have any pointers on courses online or not, or methods of study that would be beneficial. If it helps, I have a hard time learning by reading, I really need a lot of hands on stuff so I can see how things work for myself.

Thanks!
When in doubt, GTFO

Comments

• Options
    CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have a hard time reading material I would suggest CBT Nuggets and/or Trainsignal Computer Based courses where you can follow along with the instructor on your own lab machine in VMware or such.

icon_arrow.gif CBT NUGGETS: CBT Nuggets: Training for Cisco CCNA SQL MCSE VB.NET A+ Linux PMP & Many More IT Certification Exams!

icon_arrow.gif TRAINSIGNAL: Microsoft Training Videos - MCTS, MCITP, MCSE | Train Signal

When it comes to ONLINE training I think MindLeaders are the best for the value and their courses are sold via a lot of companies. BUT there is a combination of reading, doing practice tests, simulations etc for each course (in fact a lot of reading). The best price as I know it for now is via STAFFKIT and I have bought some courses via them and they are really fast to set up your account. You buy the course at STAFFKIT and then you get your login to MindLeaders. Here you have the MCSE packages at STAFFKIT where you can buy everything for a better price or individual courses: Unlimited online computer training for 1 year

A good thing is also that you get to print out a diploma whan you have completed the course and passing the score value required (you do a test for each section and if you don't get the score you need just do it again). Not that good as a certification but still something to show that you have gone through a course.

Here is more info at Mindleaders about the courses that you can buy from STAFFKIT:

icon_arrow.gifMindLeaders | Elearning Packages | Technical Elearning Package (seach or scroll through).

icon_arrow.gifMindLeaders | Certification Courses | Cisco, MS, Oracle, PMI and More

Have fun icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll throw out a second nod for CBT Nuggets. A streaming subscription gives you access to everything they publish, and the Windows 2003 series is highly recommended. I used them heavily in my MCSE studies.

Since you're an MCP, you can usually get a 10% discount with them, but I don't know if that applies to the streaming subscription or only the download purchases.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP,

I've not watched the CBT Nuggets for MCSE, but I've heard nothing but good things regarding their material on the MCSE. A coworker of mine is 2 test into his MCSA/MCSE, and he swears by the CBT nuggets. At my job, a lot of the SA guys use the Microsoft Resource Kit books. I hope this helps.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TrainSignal & CBTNuggets are both good. I have one of each... TestOut stuff is OK. Have not checked out any of the Learning Key or Mindleaders stuff though ;(
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Lamini wrote: »
    TrainSignal & CBTNuggets are both good. I have one of each... TestOut stuff is OK. Have not checked out any of the Learning Key or Mindleaders stuff though ;(

I prefer the style of testout product. Lecture, guided simulation, then user simulation.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    victivicti Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cbt nuggets is good I will recommed that I had mine from bittorent site
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    victi wrote: »
    Cbt nuggets is good I will recommed that I had mine from bittorent site

So you recommend being a theif? This is why I have the drm on the ones I purchased and can't even watch or listen to them on my phone.

Thank you.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Tommy42Tommy42 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The consensus seems to be that CBT Nuggets is the way to go for guided study, at least in the MCSE field. Give it a shot and let us know what you think.
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    I wouldn't bother with the Mindleaders stuff my friend, our company resells it and only provide it out of necessity when instructor led training is not possible and the client ensists on e-learning. If i'm not mistaken a lot of the Microsoft content is directly lifted word for word from the exam cram series of books. Although I will say they are cheap. You can get any supplier to set you up with a Demo account to test it out first before you buy.

The CBT nuggets and Train Signal video series are excellent. I particularly like the Train Signal products as they usually come with a PDF Lab book to follow along with the videos, where you set up a fictional company and learn the concepts
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    miller811 wrote: »
    I prefer the style of testout product. Lecture, guided simulation, then user simulation.

Yeah, having the user simulation sections are very helpful. I just did some IIS stuff that I've never done before.