Options

Inspiron 580?

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
Anyone else have an inspiron 580 or seen one crashing repeatedly?

Everytime I do any disk intensive operations on it, it crashes. Im trying to convert a VMKD to VHD, crash. Trying to P2V with SCVMM, crash. Trying to copy a 75GB file from the local drive to an external drive, crash.

Funny thing is, if the onboard video card driver is not installed, it just locks up (and I have to reboot it). If i install the onboard video card driver, then it just hard reboots itself.

the local disk passed CHKDSK.

icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Anyone else have an inspiron 580 or seen one crashing repeatedly?

Everytime I do any disk intensive operations on it, it crashes. Im trying to convert a VMKD to VHD, crash. Trying to P2V with SCVMM, crash. Trying to copy a 75GB file from the local drive to an external drive, crash.

Funny thing is, if the onboard video card driver is not installed, it just locks up (and I have to reboot it). If i install the onboard video card driver, then it just hard reboots itself.

the local disk passed CHKDSK.

icon_confused.gif:
    I haven't seen this, but the symptoms make me think it's either bad memory, or possibly that it's overheating. Try running the Dell Diagnostics utility to see what it finds:
    Drivers & Downloads
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Passes windows memory diganostic. Trying a new hard drive now.

I removed the add-on video card and it still did it, too.

icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Narrowed it down to the motherboard.

Apparently dell likes the "shotgun" approach. They are sending a tech to replace motherboard, RAM and harddrive. hah.
This discussion has been closed.