Options

Labtraining network

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you knew of any good online training sites where you can gain access to Cisco kit to set up your own labs. I'm sure I have seen one in the past and it was not that expensive but I cannot find it when searching google.

I have been assigned my first major network task at work and being that I'm fairly new to networking I would like to try and make a bit of an impression. The task is to set up a small test network with a 3750 switch and 2801 router. The network will have DMZ and server VLANs that will be created on the layer 2 switch. There will be a trunk to carry the Vlan traffic and a layer 3 interface on 2801 to route the traffic. The router will also be used as an IOS based firewall where static NATs will be added so that servers hosted in the DMZ can get outside and inside access.

I need kit capable of doing this quickly so I figured that the one of these online virtual labs should give me this type of access. Packet Tracer will be no good as they don't have IOS based firewalls and I don't have the IOS images for Dynamips.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could try the various CCIE rack vendors, there are quite a few out there like Gradedlabs etc. Check their topology to see if it will let you do what you need first but if you plan out your VLANs correctly it shouldn't really be an issue.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If the gear is not in production, you could copy the ios files from the boxes and do the 2801 configs in GNS3. The switch configs should be fairly straight forward so you could do them on almost any modern cisco switch.

Other than that like A mentioned, you could rent out gear from a CCIE training company.
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Guys I have set up some of the config for the switch using packet tracer. I'm just studying the IOS based firewall part as I have only been over this briefly. I have until Wednesday to complete planning and Thursday to implement quite scary actually fingers crossed it all goes well.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Once you successfully setup your trunking to perform your Router On A Stick (ROAS) between the 2801 & the 3750, the firewall portion can be done with the SDM. The SDM is fairly straightforward as long as you identify the inside, outside, and DMZ interfaces. Are you able to post any of your configs to TE? If so, you can probably get a lot more assistance. I hope this helps...
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker