Options

Study Materials

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
OK, so I'm working on ICND1 now after having a lot of troubles previously trying the 1-exam route towards CCNA (I didn't know about the 2-exam route at the time). After going through CBTNuggets I was REALLY confident. I grasped nearly everything Jeremy had talked about.

So I move on to the books I picked up (Official Exam Certification Library - by Wendell Odom), and ... wow. I was having troubles as early as chapter 2! So much more information, more details, things CBTNuggets didn't even bring up or so much more information that something I used to understand I no longer do!

I'm curious if I should be overly worried by this, or if maybe I should have gotten a different book (or a 3rd). I notice in the book there's notes sometimes that "you don't really need to know this for the test, but here's a couple pages on it anyway".
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    bermovick wrote: »
    OK, so I'm working on ICND1 now after having a lot of troubles previously trying the 1-exam route towards CCNA (I didn't know about the 2-exam route at the time). After going through CBTNuggets I was REALLY confident. I grasped nearly everything Jeremy had talked about.

So I move on to the books I picked up (Official Exam Certification Library - by Wendell Odom), and ... wow. I was having troubles as early as chapter 2! So much more information, more details, things CBTNuggets didn't even bring up or so much more information that something I used to understand I no longer do!

I'm curious if I should be overly worried by this, or if maybe I should have gotten a different book (or a 3rd). I notice in the book there's notes sometimes that "you don't really need to know this for the test, but here's a couple pages on it anyway".

my feeling is since the price is the same I',\m taking the 2 test route, but back to your question I was told Wendell give not just exam stuff but a FULL reference to use later.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »

The material can be daunting initially... But once you begin reading and start applying ("labbing") the material you're reading about, it won't seem as difficult. Hang in there. If there's a topic or particular question you don't understand, post it here to get assistance! i hope this helps!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest to forge ahead with Odom's book, I didn't use it but have heard great things about it. Maybe chapter 2 just happens to be a weak area for you, I would at least give it a few more chapters before getting another book. If you do decide to get another book I would suggest Todd Lammle's book I used it for the CCENT and passed.

Labs will help a lot too, they really enforce the concepts.
  • Options
    irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Odoms book goes above and beyond in detail its still a great read though. my advice would be to watch jeremys videos on a particular subject then read the chapters that pertain to that subject in odoms book.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best to read Todd Lammles CCNA book before odoms IMO...Todds book is an easy read...definately the best book to get started with...

Use his subnetting chapter/method...forget about odoms
  • Options
    rackemuprackemup Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Labs will help a lot too, they really enforce the concepts.
    I agree with Deathgomper. No matter what books you ultimately decide to use, hands-on labs (or at the very least, network sims) really gives you a handle on things.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    irishpunk wrote: »
    Odoms book goes above and beyond in detail its still a great read though. my advice would be to watch jeremys videos on a particular subject then read the chapters that pertain to that subject in odoms book.

This. That's how I did it for ICND1 anyway. Jeremy does a great job of explaining things in a way you'll understand. He doesn't go into the same ammount of detail that Odom will though, so attack the CBT nuggets first, then go over the book. As you're reading you'll just have those light bulb above your head moments.