Options

Internal Job Interview: Suit, yay or nay

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
So, if you are going to interview for an internal position within your current company, would you wear a suit? Or do you think just a shirt/tie would be ok?

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    IMO... I would wear a suit.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless I wore a uniform, yes, I would.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another yes here. Of course it depends..is this interview going to take place during your normal work hours and what do you normally wear to work? Dress at least one level up from normal.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go shirt and tie for internal personally. External always a suit for me though. Except that one time I had to travel and forgot it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    earweed wrote: »
    Another yes here. Of course it depends..is this interview going to take place during your normal work hours and what do you normally wear to work? Dress at least one level up from normal.

Normal working hours, and we dress business casual. So me showing up in a suit will attract a lot of "attention".. some of which I was looking to avoid.
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go shirt and tie for internal personally.

+1

By the way, good luck!
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You know the environment better than us. Are there external candidates up for it as well?

EDIT: I'm the type that does not hide these things.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your going to laght, I went to many external interview with suit, but this week a company called me and ask me to show up after work for an interview, I was dressing jeans, tennis, etc, etc. So explained him about my situation and he said that is find.

That night after the invertiew they called me and offer me the job, that surprised me, all the interviews that I had went with suit and I never got a job offer.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on the type of position. I usually dont think IT interviews require a suit & tie, unless you're going for a management level position. but definitely shirt & tie, slacks & hard bottoms....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I noticed that every person that interviewed me was dressing jeans.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If it were me:

If it's people that you know and know you, then dress at least one level up from the dress code. Otherwise, coat and tie. I'd say minimum, slacks and a button down collar shirt regardless even if the dress code allows jeans.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Internal I would go with the dress code, but maybe a little nicer than normal. External should definitely be a suit and tie. I have been on several interviews lately and I was better dressed than everyone who interviewed me. That's not a bad thing though.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can always just wear the suit bottoms and a dress shirt to work. Keep a tie and your jacket out in the car (trunk works best so you can lay it down and be wrinkle free) and toss it on before the interview. The put it back when your heading back to your cube.

That shouldn't attract any attention. You might look a little fancier than normal but nothing too noticable.
    Decide what to be and go be it.