Options

CVE4 vs VCP 4?

OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm confused, what is this CVE4 cert? I have a group offering the class (5 days, 8 hours) nearby, and I thought it was for the VCP4, but it's for a CVE4??

Ultimate Bootcamp - VMware Training - vSphere 4.0 - CVE 4.0 Certification

That is a link to the 'brand' that is offering it at a different location.

The cost is $3k for this thing, and it seems like someone just made up their own cert for VMware products to make a massive cash grab.

Anyone hear of this thing before?

I'm thinking I'd be better off doing the Install, Configure, Manage course either online or in a nearby big city..

Thanks for any input guys.. This is confusing.
2k11 Goals:
VCP - Currently Studying
MCITP:EA - 620 (done)

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes it's total garbage. Make sure you register for your ICM course through VMware to ensure it counts towards the VCP.

VMware Education Services
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    LOL! They could atleast give a discount if they are going to rip off the VCP.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    LOL! They could atleast give a discount if they are going to rip off the VCP.

Actually the class is equivalent to SEVERAL official VMware courses, so you are really saving a bundle!! icon_lol.gif
    The Ultimate Bootcamp ® vSphere ® 4.0 course WILL give you as much and MORE information as FIVE classes from leading VMware authorized training centers.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Actually the class is equivalent to SEVERAL official VMware courses, so you are really saving a bundle!! icon_lol.gif
    Let's look into that...
    This course includes all the content you would find in 5 of VMware’s most popular courses:
    • VMware I3 - What's New
    • VMware I3 - Install and Configure
    • VMware I3 - Deploy, Secure, and Analyze
    • VMware I3 - P2V Assistant (converter)
    • VMware I3 – Fast Track
    Well the 1st 4 are all covered in Fast Track, so in reality their just saying it's equal to the content of FT - which it appears from the objectives to be similar to, in the same amount of time and for around $2k less.

With that said, the quality of the instruction is an unknown (compared to VMware Certified Instructors who have a tough time getting certified and then have to teach 2 VMware Education authorized classes a month at minimum to stay certified and eligible to teach - 50% of the time they're teaching VMware). Also you are not eligible to write any VMware certification exams upon completion of the course and would have to pay another $3k for that privilege.

I just can't see it as being a worthwhile investment. As for the whole CVE certification thing, I'd be happy to certify you as a Certified Virtualization Master - anyone can make things up, it's whether they carry any weight in the industry/job market (which that doesn't).
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah it's ridiculous. Unfortunately some people will probably be fooled into taking it over a real VMware course. icon_sad.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Yeah it's ridiculous. Unfortunately some people will probably be fooled into taking it over a real VMware course. icon_sad.gif
    Sad to say I've seen it happen many times...
  • Options
    EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□

I took the class and really enjoyed it. The instructor was really good and it was a great experiences. One interesting thing was that you also cover hyper-v and 3rd party tools from various venders. Although, VM is the core no doubt.

Also, there is no doubling up on equipment like with some VM courses. If you choose to take their VM course (not speaking to their certification), I think you'll be pleased. But I understand the desire to acquire an official VM cert, which forces to "official" VM courses.
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EMcCaleb wrote: »
    I took the class and really enjoyed it. The instructor was really good and it was a great experiences. One interesting thing was that you also cover hyper-v and 3rd party tools from various venders. Although, VM is the core no doubt.

Also, there is no doubling up on equipment like with some VM courses. If you choose to take their VM course (not speaking to their certification), I think you'll be pleased. But I understand the desire to acquire an official VM cert, which forces to "official" VM courses.

Or, if you have the desire, you pay for the VMWare cert, and do the others on your own time. The 3rd party tools I'd be interested in, but I can learn about those from VMWare forums and the like, rather than pay 3k, to get a worthless piece of paper that may or may NOT give me more desire to spend another 3K.

I'm not trying to totally poopoo your post, but the whole thing seems like a scam to me, whether or not it does have any real training value.

IF they wouldn't have created their own pointless cert and just called it a "virtualization boot camp" maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OoteR wrote: »
    Or, if you have the desire, you pay for the VMWare cert, and do the others on your own time. The 3rd party tools I'd be interested in, but I can learn about those from VMWare forums and the like, rather than pay 3k, to get a worthless piece of paper that may or may NOT give me more desire to spend another 3K.

I'm not trying to totally poopoo your post, but the whole thing seems like a scam to me, whether or not it does have any real training value.

IF they wouldn't have created their own pointless cert and just called it a "virtualization boot camp" maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed.

I think we are talking about two different things. I'm in no way endorsing their certification. I don't possess it myself. I was only addressing the quality of the training.

I didn't take the course with the objective of acquiring any certification. Simply in increasing my knowledge. If your end game is the VMware cert then VMware authorized training is a no brainer, as I'm sure their courses are well presented as well.

I understand you are annoyed because you don't like how the course is branded. I have no axe to grind. Good luck with your studies.