Options

Net+ < CCENT...

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
I was wondering, for those of you that have CCENT, what are the main differences?

I've just started studying for ICND1. The first 4 chapters seem like I am studying for Net+ again.

Comments

• Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Yes, it is true, but once you get into higher chapter you will see the Cisco part. I am almost done with my ICND1 by Wendell Odom and just ordered my Sybex CCNA then I will take the ICND1 exam. The author wants us to understand how the network works and stuff.

I also bought the Network Warrior, since many guys here recommended it, and many guys at Amazon who have CCIE already learned many things from that book.

I am thankful that I stumble upon to this forum and learned many things.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I was wondering, for those of you that have CCENT, what are the main differences?

I've just started studying for ICND1. The first 4 chapters seem like I am studying for Net+ again.

The difference really comes to implementing the concepts you learned for the net + into Cisco hardware. My opinion was that the net+ was easy compared to the CCENT. Keep reading/studying and you'll see.
  • Options
    Wow, I totally see the difference now. But configuring a switch is freakin AWESOME!!! I love this stuff!!!!!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, I totally see the difference now. But configuring a switch is freakin AWESOME!!! I love this stuff!!!!!

Yea, configuring the hardware is really fun.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Doing a net+ before ccent is really not a bad idea. One extra cert on your resume and tons of overlap. If you mastered Net+ then most of the theory for the ccent is completed.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    If you think the switch is awesome, save that excitement and wait 'till you get to the router IOS.
    I think router's CLI is freaking awesome.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    If you think the switch is awesome, save that excitement and wait 'till you get to the router IOS.

+1 to that!!
  • Options
    thehourman wrote: »

The anticipation is killing me. :)
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Patience grasshopper, patience"! Just kidding... I will warn you... (in a creepy hypnotherapist voice) you're becoming hypnotized by the land of Cisco! Alot of us have entered this state of hypnosis and very few have been able to escape it... this cisco state of mind will have TechExams, Ebay, and everyone's Cisco Blog on your most frequented URL list!!! LOL! Enjoy your studies... the Cisco world is very exciting in my opinion!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct!

Before my journey of acquiring certifications began, I was already interested in Cisco's CLI and...well everything about Cisco. We added an expansion to the Manufacturing facility in which I am employed. This expansion was meant to consolidate entrance fabrication. An entrance is all the metal you see around the elevator opening on every floor of the building. The entrances were manufactured in Middleton, TN(which is where I work) and Brazil. The addition added $30 million worth of Salvagnini fabrication equipment which required a relocation or expansion of the already existing infrastructure.

Our company's network engineer(yes, as in singular...thats why I am trying to learn this stuff) was letting me assist with the design and setup of the expansion. What I was shown is why I am so interested today!

Our existing LAN consisted of a 7100 router and a 4507 core switch in the MDF. 1Gig uplinks to 13 IDFs from the core. Each IDF had 2 - 4 Dell 48 port switches. Now this is not including our VoIP hardware.

When the addition was built, we decided to mitigate our redundancy issues by creating a second MDF. We installed a 10Gig backbone from the old 4507 in MDF1 to the new 4503 in MDF2, about 950ft. MDF2 has the 4503, a 3750 for server access, and two 48 port Dells for end-users. From MDF2 we have 1Gig uplinks to two locations in the new addition, IDF1 & IDF2. IDF1 consists of a 3750, a 2960, and two 48 port Dells. IDF2 supports the shop floor, and it consists of a 2960 and two 48 port Dells. Now, this too is without our extensive Shoreware setup for Voice.

You can imagine the fun I had setting this stuff up. I can't wait till I can do this all the time! I just hope that after all my studying and becoming certified, they will consider promoting me. I am the only one utilizing our training funds at the moment.... :)