New Comptia Strata Green cert

ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone heard of this certification? According to the email, it certifies that the employee can effectively choose "green IT" initiatives based on ROI, etc.

Looks like the exam is $89 right now with 10% off.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ALfromSTL wrote: »
    Anyone heard of this certification? According to the email, it certifies that the employee can effectively choose "green IT" initiatives based on ROI, etc.

I got that email as well. I will NOT be taking it. How about you?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I got that email too. I'm tempted. $89 isn't a high price to pay for a lifetime cert
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ALfromSTL wrote: »

I won’t be taking this exam……
    Personally, I think it’s a watered down version of the A+
    Certificate name: Green IT

Number of questions: 30

Length of test: 60 minutes

Passing score: 70%

Recommended experience: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Server+, and 18 months of work experience

Languages: English

Exam code: FC0-GR1
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Jumping on the green bandwagon? They're a little late to the party aren't they...
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    tiersten wrote: »
    Jumping on the green bandwagon? They're a little late to the party aren't they...
    I have to agree. Sad way to come up with a "new" certification. WE all know it's about the $$$. Especially after the beat down they took on lifetime certifications. icon_lol.gif
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Another compTIA fail.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Another compTIA fail.
    Lol. I agree. I mean it is a good way of promoting the green campaign but it certainly doesn't have to be through this.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Personally, I am all for trying to conserve and being responsible, but the Green police are getting way out of hand. Come on Comptia!? Green, green, green..... Next it will a global warming certification.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know if this cert will ever go anywhere for most IT personnel, except maybe management, maybe....
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No Beta for this one? icon_study.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wd40 wrote: »
    No Beta for this one? icon_study.gif
    Why? It looks like Comptia just wants to make some $$ from the green movement. Doing a Beta would probably cut into their profits.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I'm considering it, while it may or may not be a good cert from IT's point of view. From our external clients point of view, especially those going for "Eco" status, it does help :)

-Ken
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    I'm considering it, while it may or may not be a good cert from IT's point of view. From our external clients point of view, especially those going for "Eco" status, it does help :)

-Ken

You really think so Ken? I am intrigued by the fact that it does have catchy marketing name, but I really don't think it would do me any good. I really think it's more for management. What do you think?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You really think so Ken? I am intrigued by the fact that it does have catchy marketing name, but I really don't think it would do me any good. I really think it's more for management. What do you think?
    Check his profile, he is an IT Manager. I think that this cert would really benefit managers in the long run. I don't know how much it would benefit those in the trenches.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Unless this cert ever becomes a requirement for me, I won't be taking it.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm considering it, while it may or may not be a good cert from IT's point of view. From our external clients point of view, especially those going for "Eco" status, it does help
    Since you're based in the UK and a CITP with BCS, I would look at doing the ISEB Foundation Certificate in Green IT, I'd expect that since it's also through BCS, it's going to hold more weight in the UK than a CompTIA cert.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The big question would be whether they send you out a paper certificate or not :D
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The big question would be whether they send you out a paper certificate or not :D

icon_lol.gif

7char

Ohhhhhhhh, rep for you icon_lol.gif
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    astorrs wrote: »
    Since you're based in the UK and a CITP with BCS, I would look at doing the ISEB Foundation Certificate in Green IT, I'd expect that since it's also through BCS, it's going to hold more weight in the UK than a CompTIA cert.

That's another option, however I have to balance certs (the costs of training material, the exams themselves and what we need) with the training budget which has decreased this year, and the ISEB certs is practically double the cost (approx) icon_sad.gif

Besides the BCS and Comptia are working together on this, see here.

-Ken

CompTIA is doing a lot of teaming up lately...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's another option, however I have to balance certs (the costs of training material, the exams themselves and what we need) with the training budget which has decreased this year, and the ISEB certs is practically double the cost (approx) icon_sad.gif

Thanks I didn't know that. :)
  • gsfdigitalgsfdigital Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can tell you from experience if you're trying to show upper management the advantage of auto shutdown and restart then you'll have to do it with $$$$$.
    I laid out a pretty extensive plan and boiled it down to $$ saved and then equated that into the reduction in CO2 emmissions, what it equaled in forest planted, cars taken off the road, etc the maony saved and giving them the green marketing facts got it approved and looked pretty damn good for me.
    Amazing the had no idea what it costs fothe machines and accessories to run all night and weekend and it ended up saving us 176.000 per year and that didn't include A/C savings when they don't have to compensate for thousands of machine throwing out heat.
    I presented a two page dummied down summary to them and it took a lot of research to understand the ratios and calculations
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think for my company with hundreds of employees in each building something like this might be interesting. "going green" can actually save a ton of money each year if you take the time to look at your annual overall usage.

I know for my company they have a team of people spreadsheet "going green" and made changes that saved a few hundred thousand per year.

I might take this for the hell of it since it might actually open some doors down the road since IT equipment is a resource hungry area of any business.
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »

I might take this for the hell of it since it might actually open some doors down the road since IT equipment is a resource hungry area of any business.

The key with any initiative is to get a quantitative measurement and get senior management's approval. This way they 1) back you up, 2) know how much you're saving the company, 3) perhaps like you a little more. However, the changes should not be abrupt nor disruptive to the users, or else they'll come right back and complain until any good idea is defeated. Green IT in any other form would probably be called cost-cutting and recycling, two concepts that are not entirely new. It's good that CompTIA get around to this certification for us computer people, as there's already some for other industries (LEED, for example).