router rip command on Cisco IOS 11.x

javedakbarjavedakbar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys, I am trying to run router rip on my cisco 2500 router which is running IOS 11.x, but it doesn't recognize it for some reason.

from enable mode:

conf t
router-config # router rip

It has worked on my other two routers in the network which are both running 12.x, but the one running 11.x doesn't like it.

Thanks in advance.
--Javed

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RIP did exist back in the 11.x days, but so did a lot of other protocols. What Feature Set are you running (show version)? You might have a Novell IPX feature set or a funky IBM protocol feature set.

You didn't show us any terminal output -- so are you sure you're in config mode?
    What does router ? show you (assuming you are in config mode)?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    My 2501 is running 11.0(5) and my 2507 is running 11.2(17).

I checked both routers and the rip command works.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CFN only goes back to 12.0 and RIP is in IP base there. No idea what it would be for 11.x though.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would love to see an 11.x (or older) IOS. It would be pretty cool to see the evolution of the IOS from that early on to what we know it as today. Didn't check google prior to this post... but at what version did the IOS begin? Was it IOS version 1 or did it skip around (like it did from 12.4 to 15.0)?
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I would love to see an 11.x (or older) IOS. It would be pretty cool to see the evolution of the IOS from that early on to what we know it as today. Didn't check google prior to this post... but at what version did the IOS begin? Was it IOS version 1 or did it skip around (like it did from 12.4 to 15.0)?

I found version 10.0 info, but nothing on 9.0? and earlier...maybe 10.0 was the beginning? If so, why did they choose 10?

The Cisco IOS® Software 10.x releases were introduced in 1993 and have all reached end of sale (EOS) and end of life (EOL). Cisco IOS Software Release 10.0, also known as the A train, provided very important internetworking capabilities to the routers. Advanced routing features such as Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), Border Gateway Protocol version 4 (BGP4), NetWare Link Services Protocol (NLSP), E1 Primary Rate Interface (PRI) signaling, Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) compression, new dial-on-demand routing (DDR) protocols, fast call rerouting, and Link Access Procedure, Balanced (LAPB) were introduced with this release. The following Cisco IOS Software Release 10.x versions were released:
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.0(x) through 10.3(x).
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.0(1) through 10.0(14) reached EOS in May 1996.
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.1(1) through 10.1(3).
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.2(1) first customer shipped (FCS) on October 4, 1994, and delivered maintenance releases through 10.2(15). It reached end of engineering (EOE) on December 30, 1996.
    • Cisco IOS Software Release10.2(9) was the first Cisco IOS to achieve general deployment (GD) status.
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.3(1) was released on April 13, 1995, and delivered maintenance releases through 10.3(19).
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.3(3) introduced Terminal Access Controller Access Control System Plus (TACACS+) and Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) features.
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.3(15) achieved GD status on October 7, 1996.
    • Cisco IOS Software Release 10.3(19) was the last regularly scheduled release of Cisco IOS 10.3, and was posted on Cisco Connection Online (CCO) on July 28, 1997. Cisco IOS Software Release 10.3(19) was produced as spares only, could not be ordered, and was migrated to Cisco IOS 11.0. Cisco IOS 10.3 reached end of engineering (EOE) on August 4, 1997.
    I found version 10.0 info, but nothing on 9.0? and earlier...maybe 10.0 was the beginning? If so, why did they choose 10?

Good info!!! Thanks...

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    IOS 9.x existed
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Was looking at an ACL page on Cisco's site today and came across this:
    Cisco.com wrote:
    Standard ACLs are the oldest type of ACL. They date back to as early as Cisco IOS Software Release 8.3

Configuring IP Access Lists - Cisco Systems

So IOS 8 existed.
    Good links Alan. I just skimmed over them briefly... but they are bookmarked!

-Mayor Cory Booker