First DSLR

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

OK, im just looking for some advice on my very first DSLR. i've been interested in learning photography for some time but other things have occupied my time sadly. Now that i have finished my uni year, im thinking now would be a good time to start.

So for someone like myself what would you guys recommend for my first DSLR. i have no previous experiance so im thinking that buying a 2nd hand SLR to begin with would be the wise option. A friend suggested a Nikon D40 as a good start, although he states it is a few years old, but ive looked and can get my hands on one for £200 inc the 18-55mm standard lense. Another has also stated the Sony alpha A230 which can be picked up new for £260. Another has recommended the Canon 400D which can be picked up 2nd hand for approx £250.

Any suggestions? Obviously, i just want to get the best product for my money, so im all ears. Also, any suggestions of the "beginners bible" would be good to teach my the basics to get me going.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I own a Canon 10D ($250.00usd) it is a professional grade DSLR that uses the Canon EOS lens system (lots of used lenses). Its only downside is that you need a flash card reader in your PC, since the USB interface transfer is 1.1 and requires software that is proprietary.

I owned a D70 and used sigma 24mm lens a while back and it produced phenomenal photographs. I picked up both of my cameras at Amazon.com in used condition and far less than retail. Might want to check out amazon.co.uk and see what deals they have going around. Ebay always has a bunch of lenses, but you have to research well or you'll probably get ripped off.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Nel,

I've read many times that "It's not the camera that makes the picture, its the photographer behind the lense." With that being said you may want to check sites like KenRockwell.com for information on cameras. Take in mind a good number of people are biased on the type of DSLR you should choose and why their brand is superior. I have used Canon and Nikon for years and each vendor has their pros and cons.

My "normal" use camera is a Nikon D90 with an 18-55 VR lens. I also keep a Canon S90 around for a number of reasons. Let us know which toy you end up going with and by all means snap as many pictures as you can and enjoy it!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have seen many many people sell their sony and buy a canon or a nikon, so the sony is out, it would be ok if you have no plans to upgrade in the future, otherwise go for Canon or Nikon.

Comparing the 400D and the D40, the 400D is much better.

I have a 400D "I bought it 3 Years ago", it was ok until I bought this:
    Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

Now I feel that I need to upgrade to a new body icon_rolleyes.gif

So, a 400D with 18-55 mm lens will be a good option if you are just starting up.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    I have seen many many people sell their sony and buy a canon or a nikon, so the sony is out, it would be ok if you have no plans to upgrade in the future, otherwise go for Canon or Nikon.

Comparing the 400D and the D40, the 400D is much better.

I have a 400D "I bought it 3 Years ago", it was ok until I bought this:
    Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

Now I feel that I need to upgrade to a new body icon_rolleyes.gif

So, a 400D with 18-55 mm lens will be a good option if you are just starting up.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. Although this is purely a starter camera im looking for, hence the lowish price i'll be paying, i would prefer to pay a tad bit more for a nikon or canon. at the moment im leaning towards the 400D. Im going to go have a look to see if i can get my hands on one to get a feel for it first.

Would the lens you have stated be a good "everyday" lens - if there is such a thing. ive heard the lens which comes with the 400d is rather poor?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the 18-55 is not poor but you get what you pay for, it is cheap, really cheap, Play with it for some time then decide if you need to upgrade.

One more thing about DSLR's, be prepared to pay for accessories and lenses, it is an expensive hobby :D

Nope, 70-200 is almost useless inside, yesterday I was trying to take some picture of my son, you have to go all the way to the end of the room to get a full picture "and he is only 9 months old sitting at the other end of the room + it costs 800$

Possible upgrades would be
    canon 17-85 IS "This is my main lens" 420$
    Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR's: Electronics

Sigma 17-70 \f2.8-4.5, I read good reviews about it.- 370$
    Amazon.com: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

The new sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 os "it has image stabilization" for 450$
    Amazon.com: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

I'm thinking of selling my 17-85 to get the new sigma.

Then you have the canon 18-200
    and tamron 18-270
    and sigma 18-250 and 18-200

Last 3 may be the only lenses that you will need for now, because of the big range.
    check them all out and let us know if you have more questions.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The reason that I have not bought a DSLR is because I don't want buy all of the lenses ( I do at least have an old Nikon telephoto lens though)
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    The nice thing with a canon over a nikon is that the lenses are inter changeable with every model. Nikon you have to buy different lenses for more different models.

As far as being a beginner an 18-55mm lens is fine for whatever you are going to need it for. After that you can upgrade if you want to get more into it. Just be sure to buy the accessories (bag, lens cover, tripod, uv protector)