VCP 4 in a month...

OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, those of you who have taken it, is it possible to study for and pass the VCP4 in a month?

I'd be taking the class online, I have a server or two i can work with some (with vcenter essential, not the full version) and would love some input on books etc to get me going.

I do work fulltime... I've been using ESXi 3.5 for about a year, but that isn't even close to the scope of what is covered in the VCP exam...

What do you guys think?
2k11 Goals:
VCP - Currently Studying
MCITP:EA - 620 (done)

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OoteR wrote: »
    So, those of you who have taken it, is it possible to study for and pass the VCP4 in a month?

I'd be taking the class online, I have a server or two i can work with some (with vcenter essential, not the full version) and would love some input on books etc to get me going.

I do work fulltime... I've been using ESXi 3.5 for about a year, but that isn't even close to the scope of what is covered in the VCP exam...

What do you guys think?
    I have not taken the exam yet, but I think it should be possible if you are dedicated enough. I've been studying for about a month since finishing the class and don't feel ready yet, but I'm getting there. I haven't been completed dedicated to studying the VCP during this time, though. I plan to take the exam in another month or so.

Studying with Essentials might limit you since it lacks some of the features you need to know for the exam. If possible use the vSphere evaluation which has everything.

When you book the course, if possible take advantage of the free voucher promotion:
    VMware Education Services

As for resources, check the thread below. There are a number of useful resources posted by people.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/49556-study-vcp-vtsp-might-help-you.html
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you take the online course or did you do an on site one?
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you have decent experience of using ESX and have done the course then I don't see why it isn't possible for you to get VCP within a month. You'll have to do a lot of studying still and read through a bunch of the VMware whitepapers however.

Since your experience is only with ESXi 3.5, you're going to need to check and read up on the differences.

I did the turn up at a training center fast track course and got my VCP a couple weeks after that but I did already use DRS, HA etc...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I gotta ask, how are you affording the online class? Isn't it thousands of dollars?

By that I mean, you are paying out of pocket? Employer?
    -Daniel
    Out of pocket, if I get it done before a start date for a new job it's a $2k addition to my pay rate.. So I figure it'd pay for itself in a year and a half.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I have used VMware for the past 5 years and still had to study hard for the VCP 4 test. I already had the 3.5 exam so I did not have to take another class. I just did self study and alot of reading, studying and testing out as I ran across something I had not seen before. I think a month may be pushing it as I prepared for several months but then again I did not take the class for the VCP4 either.

Here is my blog page and what I studied to pass the exam. I built a vSphere ESX box for testing and learning on as well before we put in Vsphere where I currently work. I need to keep the blog updated more but life is busy but I have showed several people the materials I used and they used the same ones to successfully pass the exam as well. It was hard work but definitely worth it for your career. I also self paid for my VCP and it has paid for itself easily.

Kirk's Tech Testing: Studying for the VCP 4.0 and taking it in January 2010

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't upgraded my VCP, but if v4 is similar in style to the previous version, one month is definitely feasible. I had similar experience with ESX when I took the I&C class. I spent 2 weeks studying after that, and I passed with a score in the mid 80s
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    What would you guys recommend for a lab? That is a bit of a hitch at the moment. I've got access to some (soon to be) esx4 hosts, but the full vcenter is going to be tough. At my current position I want to get esx4+essentials in before i switch positions, but a full vCenter isn't going to be necessary here.

Thanks for all the input so far!
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    The VCP 3.5 was a joke compared to the VCP 4.0 in my opinion. The new VCP exam is much tougher and you need to know alot of the minimums and maximums for all the different pieces of the infrastructure.

Just get 1 beefy box that you can install vSphere on and then bring up a virtual center box on it and dedicate at least 2-3 gb of memory for that machine. You can then test it out. You can have the entire thing on one ESX box if you already know Vmotion, HA etc.

This is a good box and runs ESX well. I put 8 GB in it and will be upgrading to 16 GB at some point.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    how very nice of VMware to knock off the small exam fee after you pay for the absolutely affordable 3000$ class!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's doable, but you owe it to yourself to do more than "just study". ESXi experience will cover some of the ground but not all that much really. I think to bridge the gap you have got to install vCenter and a couple of ESX or ESXi hosts in a cluster (you can run the entire thing inside VM's) and get trial licenses. Then go through the resources that have been posted about previously and get some hands-on with the exam topics.

I don't know about the 4.0 test but I think the 3.5 test had some questions that you'd only know the answer to if you had seen the interface for that particular feature before.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my vcp 310 Feb. 09, which was 5 months after taking the course. (Was finishing up my MCSE). I heard about the VCP 410 at VMWorld 09 and found that I would need to get it done before Dec. in order to avoid any extra training courses.

With that being said, I found the VCP 410 to be a better judge of the content. VCP 310 was more trivia than actual problem/solution type questions. I found I was more confident with the material for the 410 exam. I studied the pdfs, a reference card I have, and hands on exercises. If you have been a vmware administrator, you should do just fine with a bit of studying on the aspects you don't deal with on a regular basis. All in all I think I studied for like 3-4 weeks straight before the exam. I had a 83 on the vcp 310 and an 86 (I think) on the vcp 410.
    Anyone have any recommended books/reading material?
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
  • lehua011lehua011 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OoteR wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommended books/reading material?

Study the online PDFs on vmware site. Also, check out SLOG, Simon Long Blog.

VCP4 vSphere Study Notes - The SLOG – SimonLong/Blog

There are a lot of helpful links, as well as a practice exam (which if I remember is basically the same thing vmware has on their site)
  • TechDad58TechDad58 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had about the same experience in VMware. A similar setup at home, took a company sponsored VMware training class (thank you former employer!). Studied for about five weeks and passed the test on my first try with room to spare. You can do it. Just study hard!

Techdad (Yes, I was born in 58!)
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I believe it's possible if you're very dilligent. I (arrogantly) took the test the first time after about 3 weeks of studying, and came up a few points short of a pass. I spent too much time focusing on configuration extents, which were a very small part of the test, and not enough time labbing. So I got another study source, and did a bit more in the lab, then took it again and passed.

As luckybob said though, definitely read and re-read the PDFs on VMWare's site - to be honest, they're the most useful study resource out there.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Edit: I'm dumb.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying