Options

Boss VS Employee

Jon KingJon King Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
My current employer and my self are working on a project he is having me terminate both ends of the cables that are going through the wall to a desk. I have an RJ 45 to a patch pannel.
Then we have cables going from the patch pannel to the router.
The problem I am running into is the fact that my boss wants the cables to be non parallel and I made them strigh through. I did endup redoing all the connections again about 25 all thogther. I’ve had to redo them 3 or 4 times due to my boss didn’t trust my work or something….

Today I told my boss that I give up after 6 days of working on this JUST wireing redoing it I have tested every point that could fail. All pass.
I don’t think I can get fired ofcourse im the only employee that works for him :P I’ve worked for him for 6 years now they have went through 6 employees. I have been with the company since its been in business in 2006.
I love the company I work for however do I have the right to voice my opinion and thoughts with out having to worry about getting fired?

Thank you for all your input
Jon King

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Jon King wrote: »
    My current employer and my self are working on a project he is having me terminate both ends of the cables that are going through the wall to a desk. I have an RJ 45 to a patch pannel.
    Then we have cables going from the patch pannel to the router.
    The problem I am running into is the fact that my boss wants the cables to be non parallel and I made them strigh through. I did endup redoing all the connections again about 25 all thogther. I’ve had to redo them 3 or 4 times due to my boss didn’t trust my work or something….

Today I told my boss that I give up after 6 days of working on this JUST wireing redoing it I have tested every point that could fail. All pass.
    I don’t think I can get fired ofcourse im the only employee that works for him :P I’ve worked for him for 6 years now they have went through 6 employees. I have been with the company since its been in business in 2006.
    I love the company I work for however do I have the right to voice my opinion and thoughts with out having to worry about getting fired?

Thank you for all your input
    Jon King

TIA/EIA-568-B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've got standards behind you. TIA/EIA T568B is the accepted termination standard for ethernet and RJ45.

Also, sounds like he's crazy anyways.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    forkvoid wrote: »
    TIA/EIA-568-B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've got standards behind you. TIA/EIA T568B is the accepted termination standard for ethernet and RJ45.

Also, sounds like he's crazy anyways.

I told him we are buying cables from now on.... I have had it....
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Sounds like he is a few fries short of a happy meal. Have you pissed him off lately?
  • Options
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Sounds like he is a few fries short of a happy meal. Have you pissed him off lately?

No I haven't, I try to do what he says I am not experienced in networking.
    I am taking what education i can get hands on as much as possible but anyone can do cables really... I want to learn more than making cables.

Well I think after today we will see how upset he gets. I am very hard to get upset but I don’t make enough to deal with this...
    I am not the smartest person in the world but I want to do my best in IT. I love working with technology it’s a job I love but beginning to question if I really want to say in the field…

Is thire anything that says we cannot use hand made cables for goverment work?!?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You've worked for 6 years at a 4 year old company?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Jon King wrote: »

I don't regard myself as an employee. As far as I'm concerned, I'm working for myself (because when it all boils down to it, you really are).

That means I regard my employer as my customer, and act accordingly.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    You've worked for 6 years at a 4 year old company?

Sorry mistyped . I started in 2005 I have been working thire for 5 years
    The company started in 2004.

Sorry.

I just wanted to see if anyone has every stood up to thire boss.
    I personaly believe that we should have orderd cables and ran them.
    He thinks what we are doing is right, and will continue to do it
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EDIT: Mishra you are correct. It is not right that I say negative things. Best is to be constructive and positive regardless.

Jon - communication sounds like it is the key in this situation.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well you didn't mention where you are from, so maybe English isnt your native language.

6 days to do 25 cables sounds like too much time spent in my opinion. You should of gotten a written agreement from your boss detailing which cabling standard he wanted and then provisioned for that. Sounds like you've wasted a significant portion of your time by not communicating correctly with your boss. I know for a fact if I had of done the same thing without confirming with my boss what he wanted, he would expect me to sort it, and if it was his fault...well you get the idea.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't know why people feel the need to come in and flame him... Just because he is releasing his frustration doesn't mean he deserves to be talked to like an idiot. As pash said, english might not be his primary language.

To the OP, terminating 25 cables is not that big of a job. Also, sometimes customers will have quirks that you don't agree with. Part of learning your job is to learn those quirks and to learn from them.

You are welcome to voice your opinions as long as you have that kind of relationship with your boss. You wouldn't go on a date and tell the girl about how you hate using toenail clippers because they always hit the sores on your feet. This is the same thing; know your audience.

If you don't have that kind of relationship, then you need to work on building a good relationship. Then you can present your frustrations in a respectful manner. But I don't think I would tell anyone, friends, family, boss, that they are stupid and wrong. You should work on your class to make sure you are communicating properly in that case.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!