Options

Texas training laws

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi Folks,

We moved to TX last year and I picked up a CCIE R&S Bootcamp voucher at Xmas mainly because they had Dallas dates for the end of year. A few months back those dates disappeared and I was told they would be back when they had added some disclaimers for classes in TX. Soooo, I went to book my camp for October and was told that you can only do so if it's being paid for by your company, or they agree to reimburse you. Here's the disclaimer now at the top of the page. Now I'm not worried about the money as I can get a refund but this has left with a serious case of 'WTF'. Is this REALLY TX law? What kind of braindead govt. would actually put this in place?

"
Bootcamps held by INE in the state of Texas are subject to the following restrictions: We only accept employer sponsored students for any course offered in the state. The employer must bear all bootcamp costs and the employee must not be required to reimburse employer by any means."
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never heard of such a thing, and I own a company that regularly delivers training in Texas.

State government in Texas is generally way more hands-off than the above sounds....

Sounds more like a brain-dead training company to me, of which there are plenty.

MS
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like somebody got sued in TX and is covering their corporate ass.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, it did sound pretty bizarre to me. I"m still waiting on their reply.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    I got a short reply last night that, according to them, it is the law...which I don't really accept based on the advice here and also not finding anything related to this online, from legal references or as a similar disclaimer from any similar vendor.
    I'm gonna call them after work and get to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL, I seriously doubt there's such a law. Texas is the place everyone in Louisiana flees to once they get their degree. icon_lol.gif When you talk to them next, I'd ask for a statute number and to put up or shut up.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    I got a short reply last night that, according to them, it is the law...which I don't really accept based on the advice here and also not finding anything related to this online, from legal references or as a similar disclaimer from any similar vendor.
    I'm gonna call them after work and get to the bottom of this.

We may all learn something here, which would be great.

I still think it's a bit weird for a state government to be so heavy handed in commerce regulations to the point of telling you who you can trade with. Of course there are exceptions, but the main ones I can think of are federal, and I would think that any such law in Texas specifically prohibiting direct sales to a person would violate the Commerce Clause of the Constitution.

However, we do often think of ourselves down here as having a choice whether or not to abide by federal governance including whether or not we continue our role as a tax donor state.

MS
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin,

Ever get any clarification from anyone about this?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Sorry had overnight's for the last few days and hadn't been able to follow up. Anyway they replied today that they were contacted by the Texas Workforce commission and told that as they are not an accredited school they had to enforce this rule....still seeming pretty bizarre to me but I think the INE folks are being sincere. So next up an email to the civil servant methinks.
  • Options
    Ok, now I know what it is...this is state implementation of a federal program from way back in the 90's called the Workforce Investment Act or some such....

As I recall it has something to do with being able to use retraining funds and being listed in TWC records as an accredited training provider. Typically it's the "career schools" that do this...

Nothing I know of stops you from selling it directly to an individual, however, that's never the case for any of the training that I deliver as it's always sold directly to the company/organization. Too much work to nickle and dime single users....

MS