Options

Cisco Unity Inbound IP Fax

Has anyone ever deployed this? We currently have CM 6.2, and Unity 5.0(1). I am wanting incoming faxes to hit a number..., then depending on DNIS be forwarded to a particular user via email (we are already integrated with exchange). Our gateway consists of pri's to a 2811 running MGCP. Cant find alot of good config docs, and kinda dont want to outsource. Just wondering if anyone has any good resources, info, or gotcha's.

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We recently spec'd out something similar - It was a single number fax/voice solution that integrated Cisco Fax Server (aka RightFax) with Unity Connection/CUCM. Supposedly the voice gateway can be setup to detect the fax tone (CNG) and distribute the call directly to the fax server. A little different but may be worth a check (also not sure of the specifics when using Unity as opposed to Connection).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7046/ps6178/product_data_sheet0900aecd802638f9.html
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Thanks pitviper I will give that a glance. I have some more looking into this to do, but havent had any time today. I will let you all know what we get going. Currently we run a couple VG224's for faxes, but unfortunately this is a remote building (a little beyond their reach).
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you considered a VG202/204 to run the fax's in the remote building? They may be more affordable than installing/managing a fax gateway/server.
  • Options
    Ya, and honestly that is probably what we will end up doing now that I have done a bit more research. There is a way with unity...if you have a gateway that does not use MGCP to do T37 on-ramping, detect the fax tone, convert to tiff, forward to mail server, and then have unity sort the mail in the mail server mailbox and deliver to the appropriate people. But we use MGCP...so nah. It looks like a pretty easy gateway setup, and then Unity has a wizard for its side. I found some pretty good links on it here if anyone else is interested. The guy has a video about the unity side, and the links to the cisco gw config docs. Thanks for the help guys.

IP Fax Configuration Wizard
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    the customers I use to work with we used a different solution named xmedius if I recall. That was a while back I don't know what cisco is cooking up now, but they were behind on this technology for a while. Don't be afriad to step away from cisco
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have deployed inbound faxing using T.37 Store and Forward. This does exactly what you are looking for and its a free feature so you can set this up with Unity/CUCM without paying extra.

This document should be really all you need, but let me know if you need help with the config. It's really not hard at all to setup inbound. Outbound is a different story and it also doesn't work very well.

http://www.ciscostadium.org/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/cisco_ios_fax_services_over_ip_application_guide/t37.pdf
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote: »
    We have deployed inbound faxing using T.37 Store and Forward. This does exactly what you are looking for and its a free feature so you can set this up with Unity/CUCM without paying extra.

This document should be really all you need, but let me know if you need help with the config. It's really not hard at all to setup inbound. Outbound is a different story and it also doesn't work very well.

http://www.ciscostadium.org/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/cisco_ios_fax_services_over_ip_application_guide/t37.pdf

Thanks for the link dude, but our GW is running MGCP, and the T37 store/forward isnt compatible with it (unfortunately). Thanks though.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh boo! I see that in the first paragraph of that document now... That sucks. I am no voice expert so would you mind telling me why you are running MGCP vs H.323? What other options are there?