Options

Communications between GNS3 and PC

TenisuBakaTenisuBaka Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am trying to set up a simple FTP server and have the routers in GNS3 access the FTP server on my PC just for playing around with archive and stuff. I found something kinda similar for setting up QEMU to download JUNOS using OPENVPN. I tried installing that and setting it up, but I am stuck now. I don't know if this can even be done, so please help me out.

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can setup your PC to act as a T.F.T.P. server for your GNS3 routers. Post your current configs...
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Router configs aren't the problem.

I need to know how to set up GNS so that the virtual equipment can connect with my real physical PC that is hosting the GNS environment.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    TenisuBaka wrote: »
    Router configs aren't the problem.

I need to know how to set up GNS so that the virtual equipment can connect with my real physical PC that is hosting the GNS environment.

How to integrate GNS3 with Virtual PC | FirstDigest
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a "Using your Real PC – Talking to Real Networks" section in the GNS3 Tutorial PDF on the GNS3 website:
    http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/project/gns-3/GNS3/0.5/GNS3-0.5-tutorial.pdf
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Drag and drop a cloud in, click configure and choose your NAT from the top drop down list and click 'add'.

ding, it is now connected.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    I put this on hold while I used some online labs for switching work, but just came back to this and got it working by using a MS Loopback Adapter, TFTPD.exe, which also functions as a syslog server, so I was able to successfully get both the tftp and syslog servers working.

Just for reference for anyone else. I use Windows 7 64 bit, so make sure you allow the network created by the MS loopback through the firewall. I did this by simply making it a home network. Also, I had to turn security completely off on the tftpd server security settings.

Anyone know of a better tftp or syslog server app?
  • Options
    Actually, I have another question now.

Despite having the default gateway set to the first-hop router in the properties for the MS loopback adapter, my laptop can only communicate with the first-hop.

I just set up a very simple 2 router network with R1 connected to the virtual pc (via cloud) and R1-R2 connected through frame relay with routing handled by RIP.

The address for R1 interface to the virtual PC and the virtual PC are 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.50 respectively.

I can ping from R1 to the virtual PC. I can ping R1 through the normal cmd prompt within my windows. The serial interface for R2 is 10.100.12.2. Interesting thing is, when I tracert to 10.100.12.2 from windows cmd prompt, it tries to go out my real connection to the internet.

So, how can I fix this?
  • Options
    Well, now I am pulling my hair out.

I played around with static routes in Windows, finally getting that to work by specifying BOTH the gateway AND the interface.

So, now I can ping R2 in GNS3 through R1 from my normal cmd prompt. Seems that is the result I wanted, BUT!!!!!!!!!!

I CANNOT PING THE REVERSE DIRECTION!

I cannot ping from R2 to the MS loopback adapter, even though I can from R1 and I can ping R2 from the MS loopback adapter.

Just to try something different, I tore down rip and built an ospf process. No change.

Anybody know what I am doing wrong here?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fire wall?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct. I tested real quick by just disabling windows firewall for a moment.

The MS loopback is considered 'network 3', which I assigned as a Home Network. I thought that would take care of it.

I am at work right now, and my other network through my actual gig interface is defined as a 'company internal network'.

Does anyone know how to set this up so I don't have to completely disable my firewall?
  • Options
    OK, I am a step closer to solving this.

In the Windows Firewall, if you click on advanced settings, then properties, there is a 4-tabbed window with various setting for each major profile.

On the private network tab, incoming connections are blocked. If I enable this to allow, I have the full connectivity I want.

However, I don't really want to make such a global change just to get this thing to work with GNS3. I was thinking there was some way to modify or create a rule or two for this. But I have no idea how to configure the firewall, first time I am messing with it.

Anybody who knows more about the windows firewall, please chip in!
  • Options
    trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    disable windows firewall and install zonealarm on commodo or someting like that... windows firewall is too limited imho I use commodo internet security and it works great for me, the firewall portion gives me a lot more info about ongoing connections, lets me create all kinds of rules etc
  • Options
    Yeah, I was just trying to research a bit how to configure windows firewall, and already saw a couple of similar comments. Guess I will try that out when I get home tonight. Thanks for the info mate.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad to see you sorted it out :) yep happened to me and for ages I was trying to figure it out, then had one of these duhhh moments, untick box, all works fine.

I just turn of the windows firewall these days. I only have 2 PC's on the network and have a physical fire wall. I know people will argue that you should have a windows firewall, but its all a questions of risk and balance. My lab laptop is constantly getting rebuilt or reconfigured, has no prvt data on it, so make it simple to leave wide open.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    comodo did the job! still not sure about that sandbox though. it instantly killed my touchpad scroll functions, audio interface driver, and firefox plugs. it then tried to kill gns and wouldnt let me open a console session. had to reboot a couple times, but working now. thanks for the all the help!
  • Options
    trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    yeah, you can disable sandbox if you have trouble with it... i have it disabled also.