Options

Phone Interviews, Dont you just love them?

Well I had a telephone interview lined up for last Thursday morning and I had nicely planned out, I had originally organised a land line and quiet room, but that fell through so I end up on a mobile with 3 people at the other end firing questions to me. So not the ideal situation for an interview lol

The interview was for my part quite strained, the mobile phone and accents didn't help me. I didn't think I sold myself too well. However I did send them an email to thank them, not something I usually do, but felt it worthwhile in this case. I received a response in reply which was on the positive side so I think I did ok or at least better than I felt about it.

I was about to say I don’t think I'll hear much more about it, as I am aware that they are interviewing local candidates too, but have since received an email from them this morning opening negotiations.

They have reiterated that they are interviewing local candidates but have laid out there salary + benefits that they have in mind and want to know if it meets my expectations.

The opportunity is a good one for me and I do want the role but don’t want to sell myself too cheaply.

Now I know the salary being offered is at the lower end of there pay scale and I would want to move slightly further up the scale. So it's going to be a little delicate negotiation from here without blowing it.

It feels weird negotiating this one as the salary is less than I'm making now but in situ would be a pay rise as the cost of living is so much lower (To give you an idea I'd still be making over twice the average salary) lol

I'll be replying to the email later let's just hope I don't scare them off!
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I love phone interviews that do not go right. I have had a few while driving in my car and it is hard to pay attention driving. Believe it or not the guy said to me on the phone that he was impressed I could handle both situations so calm. This landed me a job with that company.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Yes I love phone interviews that do not go right. I have had a few while driving in my car and it is hard to pay attention driving. Believe it or not the guy said to me on the phone that he was impressed I could handle both situations so calm. This landed me a job with that company.

I hope you had a "hands free device"! :Dicon_thumright.gif

I actually had a phone interview that was setup to be just like the OP... in a quiet room, late at night (due to timezone differences) while the kids were asleep. Well, early on into the interview... my son decided to wake up in a frantic panic for me... I had to tell the guy on the interview. He was actually very tolerant with my situation. I got the job offer, but we never came to grips on salary... they wanted me to move and take a pay cut... I guess the guy was tolerant because he thought he was going to get me for cheap! icon_evil.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Well I just had confirmation that I missed out on this one. I can't say that I'm surprised as it would've meant a relocation for me to another country. They have gone with a local guy. The feedback was good though and I came second if that's any consolation lol
    They have put me in touch with a couple of recruiters in the area that may help me out to get a move to that country which I will follow up as it can't hurt.

Following on from that two other interviews that I've had lined up and both been put on hold due to a restructure within the company in one case I know there now looking for a new CTO so that could be a little while before it comes back on the table

It does show I'm getting close though. So it's only a matter of time I guess.

So that's the bad news out the way I can now go and look at buying the motorbike I've had my eye on icon_biggrin.gif assuming swmbo doesn’t overrule me lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    watson09watson09 Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Even i love phone interviews. They are really good as per my knowledge and even you feel much more comfortable other than sitting for round 1 in front of HR..
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I love phone interviews as they're usually more spontaneous for me and I'm less nervous. I'm currently doing contract work on the side and doing more PC repair stuff for individuals and I've never even met anyone from the contractingcompany, phone interview, emails, faxes is our only conversations. For the PC repair work I do I never meet the client until I'm there to do the work. I suck at interviews (in person) but do well with individual clients and phone interviews.
    My last job interview I was almost in via the phone intervew but the in-person interview didn't go as well. I get too nervous at interviews.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    I only like short phone interviews.

But, I do a lot better with in-person interviews ONLY if it is planned and highly structured (where they have a list of questions to ask and not making up questions as they go)