Options

New Sybex Book

johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
Has anyone read or looked at the new ccna security book from sybex? Its written by Tim Boyle. It just came out this year at the end of March.
CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    Has anyone read or looked at the new ccna security book from sybex? Its written by Tim Boyle. It just came out this year at the end of March.

Unfortunately, I've not heard anything about it. You should buy it and review it for both TechExams & Amazon! icon_lol.gif

J/K... I would be a little skeptical about the author... the last book that he had looks like was in 2000 for the CCNP Switch. That is a long time in between writing... so I'm not sure. But... who knws???? Maybe this guy got it right because the two Cisco Press books didn't!

Just my thoughts! HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I went ahead and ordered it this morning. I hope it was a good decision. I will let you all know what I think of it.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent, I look forward to it!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    nilzornilzor Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished it and it is really good as expected from Sybex (Wiley).

If you like the old CCNA one you like this one too
  • Options
    I have just browsed the first couple of chapters, looks like the non tecnical stuff could be dry but iam guessing that the cofig chapters will be good.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    only a few chapters in but so far i am a fan and i'm excited to have another resource to keep my focus. in my opinion this book is definitely not as dry as the cisco book books. i liked the comparison above to the sybex ccna book.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I currently have the CCNA Security book by Watkins and Wallace. Honestly, I'm finding it to be dry and boring in some places. Currently looking at the new Sybex book or the book by Catherine Paquet.

Anyone care to share their opinion?
  • Options
    the sybex book is , to put it mildy, boring. I dont know about the rest.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    JSK wrote: »
    I currently have the CCNA Security book by Watkins and Wallace. Honestly, I'm finding it to be dry and boring in some places. Currently looking at the new Sybex book or the book by Catherine Paquet.

Anyone care to share their opinion?

i would choose the paquet book over the sybex book but i would recommend both of those over the watkins and wallace book. i found using both the sybex as well as the paquet books really helped me keep my focus on studying for this. the cbt nuggets vids for this series are really great as well.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    Thanks guys! I think I'll start with the Paquet book and go from there. Hopefully between that and the Watkins/Wallace book it will be enough.
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    I got the Cert Guide and it's dry but missing things like SDM for ZBF etc.

Has anyone tried the Cram guide (552 Pages) for this as I browsed it and the cert guide doesn't talk about some of the things in the cram book/questions so a little concerned about preparation? One thing was "can SNMP V1 and V2 be configured in SDM?" answer = yes but tried it and only CLI allows version choice.

Are the exams questions vague also like the cram guide (some anyhow)?
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Generally with all the Cisco books I've read the comparisons between the official guide and the Sybex books are pretty consistent:

Official Cisco Guides - Dryer/more technical than Sybex with more information

Sybex - Not as in-depth but easier to read.

Sort of similar to the comparisons between CBT and Trainsignal...

Jeremy = Sybex

Chris = Cisco :)

(By the way, I'm weird with the fact that I like official Cisco books with CBT nuggets... worked for me so far)
  • Options
    Jupiter_MJupiter_M Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

I passed my CCNA Security a couple weeks ago, and that is one of the books I used. The other book I used was the Cisco Press one by Catherine Paquet.

Both books worked well with each other as they tended to fill in small gaps of the other. However, the Paquet book was by far better in dealing with theory. The chapters on cryptography and VPNs alone were worth it.

Generally with all the Cisco books I've read the comparisons between the official guide and the Sybex books are pretty consistent:

Official Cisco Guides - Dryer/more technical than Sybex with more information

Sybex - Not as in-depth but easier to read.

I'm doing the 640-460 right now again using both the Cisco Press and Sybex book. I couldn't agree more with this statement.